Do you believe in global warming?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:29:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you believe in global warming?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well, do you?
Yes, and let me be the first to surrender my motorcar

No, science is one of the many tools of the devil

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Do you believe in global warming?  (Read 3529 times)
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 07:28:48 PM »

Global Warming?  No.  Climate Change?  Yep.

And my girl and I both drive hybrids and have shrunk our environmental footprints by 75% in the last couple years.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 08:08:56 PM »

What the global warming goons often forget is that the earth has been both so much more hotter and so much more colder with none or hardly any human presence at all! More recently there was a similar spike in temperature in the early 1000s and we all remember the 'global cooling' panic of the 1970s. Furthermore, over 98% of the present greenhouse gases are not human made but completely natural. I would not be surprised if 50 or so years down the road the scientists are talking about global cooling again and global warming has become the punchline global cooling previously was.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 09:04:40 PM »

My appologies for going off topic but what's up with John Dibble's  line "I'm a Jew Now. aaagh" ?

Refer to this thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=32470.0

Have a good laugh.

LOL .Wow. How did I miss that one?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 09:52:08 PM »

Of course it's happening.

But by the time it matters, I'll be in hell, so it doesn't much make a difference to me.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2005, 02:26:50 AM »

But by the time it matters, I'll be in hell, so it doesn't much make a difference to me.

Perhaps you missed out on this years hurricane season. The Gulf Streams power has been reduced by 30%, that extra heat was stuck in hurricane land.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2005, 12:18:30 PM »

Global warming is a grave threat to Earth. Some day not too far in the future, we could be looking at 130 degree summers! ouch. Angry
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2005, 01:57:37 PM »

Yes, to some extent.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2005, 08:17:31 PM »

Global warming is a grave threat to Earth. Some day not too far in the future, we could be looking at 130 degree summers! ouch. Angry

When the ice caps melt, we'll have an ice age - no worries. Grin
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2005, 08:20:45 PM »

Yes (normal)

Although, double-barelled questions are for n00bs! I don't own a "motor car" anyways.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2005, 09:30:51 PM »

With the temperature as it is outside now, I'd take that.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2005, 09:55:27 PM »

With the temperature as it is outside now, I'd take that.

Are you getting the snow yet?  It's hitting all the counties around me to the west right now, but still no flakes outside my window.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2005, 03:49:43 PM »

Yes, there is evidence to support the earth is warming up. But it is not from anything humans did ,such as drive suv's or pollute. Proof. Imagine there is a Miller Lite  sitting next to a lamp. The delicous beverage will raise it's temperature every minute it's under the lamp. The guys blowing farts out of their asses five feet away have nothing to do with the temperature of the beer being raised, only the heat collecting in the liquid does. The sun has this same effect and the earth will continue to get warmer. For us outdoorsmen this is a good thing.

Your comparison isn't really valid. First off, the beer will only get so hot before it releases heat at a sufficient level to maintain a constant temperature. If the Earth was as simple as your beer/lamp system, it would also maintain a constant temperature - however, throughout history the Earth's temperature has fluctuated between varying degrees of hot and cold. If your logic was correct, it would have only gotten warmer and warmer, and never have fluctuated, as illustrated by this chart.

I'd also like to point out that the sun's luminosity is increasing over time, so once again, by your logic the Earth should be getting warmer and warmer and never decrease in temperature. But if the sun is giving off more energy, and thus more heat, then why has the temperature remained stable? The answer is that the Earth is a hell of a lot more complex than a bottle of beer - it has a changing atmosphere(some changes are natural, such as the cooling effect the gasses spewed from volcanic eruptions tend to have) and a changing surface(albedo, or reflectiveness, is not constant), as well as other factors.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2005, 03:51:21 PM »

Why do Libertarians hate science?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2005, 04:20:59 PM »

hahaha . . . they do?  By the looks of it, Dibble is basing an argument with science.  Smiley
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2005, 04:24:56 PM »

hahaha . . . they do?  By the looks of it, Dibble is basing an argument with science.  Smiley

Indeed - the stuff I stated above came from the Earth and Atmospheric science course I took in the spring. I fail to see how anything in that argument, which was a refutation of a poorly thought out idea with the use of scientific principles, can be construed as Libertarians hating science...unless Earl thinks that the Earth is comparable to a simple beer/lamp system and that the Earth will continue to warm up no matter what.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2005, 04:33:24 PM »

Indeed - the stuff I stated above came from the Earth and Atmospheric science course I took in the spring. I fail to see how anything in that argument, which was a refutation of a poorly thought out idea with the use of scientific principles, can be construed as Libertarians hating science...unless Earl thinks that the Earth is comparable to a simple beer/lamp system and that the Earth will continue to warm up no matter what.

Well, sometimes the foam generated by the sea looks like foam from a head of beer.  Cheesy
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2005, 11:17:31 PM »

Sometimes I think we humans ascribe way too much power to ourselves.

It is certainly possible that there is a phenomenon called global warming.  But it may have nothing to do with what we humans are doing.  It could be caused by forces that we don't control or even understand.

So I guess that means that, quite honestly, I don't know.  And I think that people who say they know for sure are not telling the truth.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2005, 12:02:32 AM »

You science fiction nerds love using graphs that confuse you. The great thing about science, for those of you who don't have a science degree like moi, is that it's principles are the same for something as small as a beer bottle and as big as an ocean. I don't expect you dumb s to know that principle though. Continue watching sh**t like the Day After Tommorow to get your science facts.

Your degree in physical education or whatever the hell it is doesn't make you an expert in earth and atmospheric sciences, troll.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2005, 12:26:08 AM »

Perhaps you missed out on this years hurricane season. The Gulf Streams power has been reduced by 30%, that extra heat was stuck in hurricane land.

However, the reduction has been down since 1992 and during most of the 1990's, we were not having higher hurricane rates (or more destructive hurricanes).

Conversely, according the Time article I'm looking at ("Is Europe Due For a Big Chill?"), there has been several dramatic temperature drops in Greenland over the last 70,000 years.

If you are asking if there has been global warming over the past 15 years, on average, yes.  If you are asking if we've seen a long term trend over the last 50 years for warming, no.  If I just had the date from 1950-80, I could only conclude that we were in a period of global cooling (an some scientists were expecting the world to enter a new ice age).

Tory

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2005, 02:12:53 AM »

Yes I believe in it. Do I care? No.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies