Do you think this country would be better off without suburbs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:22:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you think this country would be better off without suburbs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Do you think this country would be better off without suburbs?
Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (I/Third Party)

No (I/Third Party)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Do you think this country would be better off without suburbs?  (Read 8320 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2005, 11:40:25 PM »

BRTS your disdain for suburbs borders on obsession. I don't care if you want to live in a city. Its your right to do so. But it is also my right to live in a suburb. Get over it!

There are many ex-Detroiters who had nice homes in the city and would have stayed there until they died, but the neighborhoods changed and violent crime became a serious problem. So people moved out, not because they wanted to but because they were forced to. My in-laws were in that situation. They sold their home in Detroit about 15 years ago. Today there are bars on the windows of that home, as there are on many of the other homes in that area. Why do you suppose that is?
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2005, 11:56:39 PM »

No.  Suburbs and "bedroom communities" are necessary.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2005, 10:41:12 AM »

BRTD I picked out a few homes withinin the city of Detroit where perhaps you and Opebo might want to settle. I'm sure you could get a good deal on them.

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2005, 12:57:47 PM »

Actually I'd prefer something like this:

http://www.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles8764.jpg
(big image, that's why it's clickable)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2005, 12:58:55 PM »

No. We need the suburbs.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2005, 01:05:05 PM »

But these are so much nicer!

This one's complete with a new(ish) minivan!

Crisp and blackened...

Or maybe this lovely home thing in NYC:

This is what suburbs cause. By the way, I'm so glad you got these photos from a white nationalist/pride website. That's so very classy!
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2005, 01:42:17 PM »

Just offering BRTD a chance to live in a city away from those nasty boring suburbs. The houses just need a little work.  Call them fixer-uppers.

BTW Memphis I suspect that you never lived in or near Detroit, so  you really don't know what the hell you're talking about. If you talk to suburbanites around Detroit a frequent story you will hear is that they previously lived in a nice house in Detroit but were forced to move because of the rising crime rates.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2005, 01:45:27 PM »

Just offering BRTD a chance to live in a city away from those nasty boring suburbs. The houses just need a little work.  Call them fixer-uppers.

BTW Memphis I suspect that you never lived in or near Detroit, so  you really don't know what the hell you're talking about. If you talk to suburbanites around Detroit a frequent story you will hear is that they previously lived in a nice house in Detroit but were forced to move because of the rising crime rates.

No, but he most likely lives in Memphis which is a major city.

And I most certainly wouldn't enjoy Detroit, but I'll never live in that area anyway. Minneapolis is very nice, and much better than the horrible suburbs surrounding it. Even dazzleman has admitted the Twin Cities suburbs are quite horrid.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2005, 03:13:39 PM »

Those houses in those photos look suburban to me.  Single family houses?  Don't you people know what a city is?

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2005, 03:44:49 PM »

And the reason the crime rate is high is because everybody with the means has left. It's not a contest, but we've got plenty of blight in Memphis. The conservative white folks are perpetually moving further and further away, forcing the taxpayers to pay for new roads, schools, utilities, etc. I'm so glad I live in Memphis and not the sticks outside, so I'm not contributing to the problem.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2005, 03:45:41 PM »

Those houses in those photos look suburban to me.  Single family houses?  Don't you people know what a city is?

^^^^^^^^^
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2005, 04:22:30 PM »

My Grandparents lived in Detroit, but moved out in 1952 before it got really bad.  I would never live in Detroit.  If actually wanting tobe safe from murderers, robbers, rapist, and gangs, and be able to walk the streets at night make you a bad person ther are a lot of bad people in America
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2005, 08:31:41 PM »

Seattle has a lower rate of apartment/condo living than its suburbs, by far.  In fact, I might even say that the majority of Seattle is suburban, yet it's one of the most liberal cities in the U.S., probably behind only San Francisco in social liberalness.

What are your opinion(s), BRTD and opebo, on that (beyond the strip club legislation, a horse you've beaten dead)?

Hence the problem with suburbs. They have prudish streaks, hence the strip club regulation. You wouldn't see that ever in Minneapolis, a liberal URBAN city.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2005, 08:32:08 PM »

Seattle has a lower rate of apartment/condo living than its suburbs, by far.  In fact, I might even say that the majority of Seattle is suburban, yet it's one of the most liberal cities in the U.S., probably behind only San Francisco in social liberalness.

What are your opinion(s), BRTD and opebo, on that (beyond the strip club legislation, a horse you've beaten dead)?
SUBURBS ARE BAD NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY

ARE THERE INDIE STRIP CLUBS, INDIE BARS, INDIE MUSIC STORES, AND INDIE PROSTITUTES IN THE INDIE SEATTLE SURURBS BECAUSE IF NOT THEN THEY ARE SUBURBS AND SHOULD BE BANNED!11?!!?1?1?11?1!!?!?1??1??242??54??!?45?6?!!??87?65??!!1?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2005, 08:37:12 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2005, 08:43:23 PM by Alcon »

Hence the problem with suburbs. They have prudish streaks, hence the strip club regulation. You wouldn't see that ever in Minneapolis, a liberal URBAN city.

OK, it's good we ignored the "let's not beat a dead horse" part of my post.

Seattle passed it not because they're prudish, but because it lowers property values.  Why?  Because there are so few in the state that it is a major deal when one opens.  It gets more traffic than in most place.

I would point out, by the way, that there are only 16 in the state, 6 of which are in Seattle.  It isn't just a coincidence that there are only 10 outside of Seattle - it's just not popular here.  It has nothing to do with prudish laws elsewhere.

By the way, I can't get this link to work:

What page is it from?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2005, 08:40:49 PM »

Ah, another thing.

If we forced all the suburban people to move into slimy inner-cities, no doubt they will attempt to push their

OMG PRUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111
beliefs on other residents of the inner-cities anyway. Hence, you should really be thankful that the suburban people are living in their suburbs instead of bitching and moaning about everything they do like a whiny little brat. If it wasn't for suburbs, your stupid strip clubs would probably be banned in your precious slimy, crime-infested inner-cities.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2005, 08:41:31 PM »

Ah, another thing.

If we forced all the suburban people to move into slimy inner-cities, no doubt they will attempt to push their

OMG PRUDE
beliefs on other residents of the inner-cities anyway. Hence, you should really be thankful that the suburban people are living in their suburbs instead of bitching and moaning about everything they do like a whiny little brat. If it wasn't for suburbs, your stupid strip clubs would probably be banned in your precious slimy, crime-infested inner-cities.

Exactly!

(Although I wouldn't call all cities "slimy, crime-infested.")
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2005, 08:42:32 PM »

Ah, another thing.

OMG PRUDE

Exactly!

(Although I wouldn't call all cities "slimy, crime-infested.")
Well, yes. But if BRTD has his way, all cities would be slimy and crime-infested, since he seems to like slime and crime.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2005, 08:43:08 PM »

So why can't you have your urban city while we have our suburban city?  It seems to me that the existence of suburbs is not curtailing your ability to visit strip clubs, and the abolition of suburbs would not really affect you in any way.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2005, 08:47:09 PM »

So why can't you have your urban city while we have our suburban city?  It seems to me that the existence of suburbs is not curtailing your ability to visit strip clubs, and the abolition of suburbs would not really affect you in any way.
Because all people in all suburbs are

OMG PRUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111
and he is on a NOBLE, WISE, DIGNIFIED campaign to REDUCE PRUDES or something. On the Internet, no less. Wink
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2005, 08:52:51 PM »

OK, it's good we ignored the "let's not beat a dead horse" part of my post.

Seattle passed it not because they're prudish, but because it lowers property values.  Why?  Because there are so few in the state that it is a major deal when one opens.  It gets more traffic than in most place.

I would point out, by the way, that there are only 16 in the state, 6 of which are in Seattle.  It isn't just a coincidence that there are only 10 outside of Seattle - it's just not popular here.  It has nothing to do with prudish laws elsewhere.

By the way, I can't get this link to work:

What page is it from?

Minneapolis. First one in the second row.

And there's the point, people in suburban areas are too concerned about property values. You can't make any place a red light district without people complaining. Minneapolis has a very nice red light district, and no one minds. If Seattle was a true urban city like it, it'd be the same.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2005, 08:54:33 PM »

Obviously, not all suburban people are bad. I have visited Detroit and it is so repulsive that if I lived in the area, I most certainly would live in burbs.  To anybody who lives in SE Michigan, I am sorry that you have to live near the worst example of urban decay in the United States. Nonetheless, I feel that suburban-style developments (sprawl) are short-sighted and wasteful of resources (my town is constantly closing inner city schools and opening schools in the burbs) and that having separate suburban municipalities is parasitic to the inner city financially. On a completely different note, can we please get BRTD laid, so he'll quit producing strip-club oriented posts. There's more to life than paying a girl to sit in your lap, kid.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2005, 08:55:56 PM »

Nonetheless, I feel that suburban-style developments (sprawl) are short-sighted and wasteful of resources (my town is constantly closing inner city schools and opening schools in the burbs) and that having separate suburban municipalities is parasitic to the inner city financially.

Yes. I have to ask if all the suburb lovers have ever been to the Twin Cities area. If so, you'd see how awful the sprawl and parasiticism is in the suburbs there.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2005, 09:00:51 PM »

I feel dumber just reading this thread. Maybe it was the Repulsives posting pictures of (old) suburbs as their example of why cities are bad. Not to mention most of the pictures look quite old!

People need to stop confusing urban and slum... Just because most of Detroit is a slum doesn't mean that every city in the country is like that. Give me a break, some of you really need to be sent to a prison camp for being so stupid.

Cities with growing populations will naturally sprawl, but the current way we develop this new sprawl is what gets me. No planning is put into it. The chances of dying in a car accident in the suburbs is higher than being murdered in the city.

Oh well, once the price of gas gets so high and the suburbs are abandoned, it will be fun to watch the ignorant GOP-trash lose everything they have and be shoved into tiny apartments to live the rest of their lives in poverty.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2005, 09:01:49 PM »

Oh well, once the price of gas gets so high and the suburbs are abandoned, it will be fun to watch the ignorant GOP-trash lose everything they have and be shoved into tiny apartments to live the rest of their lives in poverty.

Ha ha, so true.

Not to mention the increased gas usage because of sprawl means more oil bought from the Middle East.

Suburbs support terrorism!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies