Why do the voters of New Jersey keep on screwing themselves over and over again?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:29:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why do the voters of New Jersey keep on screwing themselves over and over again?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do the voters of New Jersey keep on screwing themselves over and over again?  (Read 2385 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2005, 10:30:54 AM »

I have a question.

My question is Im so confused about the state of New Jersey it barely voted for Clintion in 92 and now it just votes blindly Democratic no matter how horribly corrupt, incompentent, liberal, and ineffective it's state officals are it ranked among one of the worst ran states in the union and it still elects the officals that are resposible for it.

So my question is why did New Jersey get so Democratic and why is it staying Democratic?   
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 10:35:36 AM »

Because of the Republican Party.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 12:44:59 PM »

The Republicans have been taken over by Southern, evangelical Christians. New Jersey has many Blacks, Jews, and Catholic Hispanics. They're not so keen on a Prostestant fundamentalist agenda.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 01:36:38 PM »

See, I'd agree with you, if not for the fact that Republicans are just as corrupt.  It's New Jersey, everything's slime.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 04:29:32 PM »

^^^^
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 06:18:31 PM »

See, I'd agree with you, if not for the fact that Republicans are just as corrupt.  It's New Jersey, everything's slime.

Now, now, now.  you know full well the Republicans are not as corrupt.  They lake the power to warrant that level of corruption.

They only wish they were that corrupt, because that would mean they have more power.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 09:43:27 PM »

Mcgreevy made Taft look like a saint.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 11:30:29 PM »

I have a question.

My question is Im so confused about the state of New Jersey it barely voted for Clintion in 92 and now it just votes blindly Democratic no matter how horribly corrupt, incompentent, liberal, and ineffective it's state officals are it ranked among one of the worst ran states in the union and it still elects the officals that are resposible for it.

So my question is why did New Jersey get so Democratic and why is it staying Democratic?   

Because the state is about as socially conservative as Mass (well not quite, but close) and the social conservative Evangelical side of the GOP has become its main base.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 01:13:36 AM »

Woah, first of all, NJ is nowhere close to being anything like Massachusetts socially or economically.  Second of all, the Republican Party is nowhere near as corrupt and the Democratic Party in NJ.  Will the embarrasment never end?

I was basically making a point with my Massachusetts comment.  The simple fact is NJ is a socially liberal state & the control the social conservatives have on the GOP party have really swung the state away from the GOP
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 09:59:11 PM »

Woah, first of all, NJ is nowhere close to being anything like Massachusetts socially or economically.  Second of all, the Republican Party is nowhere near as corrupt and the Democratic Party in NJ.  Will the embarrasment never end?

No, of course not economically, but socially they're similar. 

To answer the question, we're not.  The Republicans are just as corrupt and have an agenda that's just too conservative for New Jersey.  Jersey voted for the GOP when it was still the more libertarian party.  Right now, they're anything but that.   
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 06:37:57 PM »

To answer the question, we're not.  The Republicans are just as corrupt and have an agenda that's just too conservative for New Jersey.  Jersey voted for the GOP when it was still the more libertarian party.  Right now, they're anything but that.   

I realize the same thing on this side of the Delaware River as well!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 08:39:42 AM »

We're not similar to Massachusetts anywhere I've lived or been, except maybe a few counties.  I do agree that the current NJGOP is too conservative, though Doug Forreseter certainly wasn't.

The NJ GOP's webpage is not exactly helping them, either, in my opinion.  I don't see a whole lot about Republicans and instead I see a whole lot of stuff attacking Corzine, talking about widespread voter fraud, etc.  Then there's the weirdest part: the part where they proudly proclaim "Forrester Wins!", appearing much in the same vein as Democrats proclaiming that Gore won the 2000 election.  It seems a lot more like a right-wing blog site than an official political party's website.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 05:48:54 PM »

massachusetts liberalism is overstated.  the bay state is pretty damn authoritarian. for example,  i would argue that massachusetts has some of the strictest blue laws in the country.

i wish massachusetts was more liberal.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 06:25:18 PM »

massachusetts liberalism is overstated.  the bay state is pretty damn authoritarian. for example,  i would argue that massachusetts has some of the strictest blue laws in the country.

i wish massachusetts was more liberal.

I've been to MA myself and I only think Cambridge and parts of downtown Boston are really liberal.  Southie can make a lot of areas look like Berkeley.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies