Interesting image I found
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:40:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Interesting image I found
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Interesting image I found  (Read 3344 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2005, 09:50:23 PM »

From a Pew Research poll:

The numbers are those who answered they had a favorable opinion of that group. Quite interesting. Most interesting is Lebanon. It appears the two communities there actually get along after all.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 05:25:09 AM »

That must be ancient or incorrect data, if you look at the Russian results for example.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 05:26:03 AM »

The Chinese appear not to like any religion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 08:45:45 AM »

The Chinese appear not to like any religion.

At least none of these monotheist/imperialist religions.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 10:53:10 AM »

Once again the West appears more tolerant Smiley
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 12:27:12 PM »

0% of Lebanese like Jews? Yet Christians and Muslims are approved of by 90%+ margins?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 12:34:38 PM »

0% of Lebanese like Jews? Yet Christians and Muslims are approved of by 90%+ margins?

Nobody likes the Jews in such regions, its just down right predjudice.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 12:48:31 PM »

Gabu
Whenever I scroll down a forum page my computer gets bogged down, when it comes to your picture of Hitler. Apparently the animation there requires some processing time. Either that or that a--hole is still trying to screw up the world 60 years later.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 01:07:41 PM »

That must be ancient or incorrect data, if you look at the Russian results for example.

The poll was taken in July. I don't see anything wacky about Russia though.

Another odd thing that seems odd is that Jordan likes Christians far more than Turkey. I guess in Turkey they probably think "Greeks" when they think of "Christians". Too bad Greece wasn't included, I'd like to see what they think of Muslims.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 01:28:29 PM »

Russia - 55% approval of Muslims after Chechnya?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 01:38:24 PM »

63% of Russians approve of Jews? No way; waaaaaaay lower than that from all I can find out.
French figures seem too tolerant as well, btw.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 02:17:49 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2005, 02:24:16 PM by phknrocket1k »

Pakistanis are more tolerant of Christians than Turks are... ? Wow

But anways, the British seem to be the most tolerant.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 02:28:18 PM »

Jake - they don't like Caucasians, and generally Caucasian-looking people. They don't care about Muslims. A Georgian is much more likely to be disliked for being vaguely Chechen-like than a Tatar.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 02:39:22 PM »

Jake - they don't like Caucasians, and generally Caucasian-looking people. They don't care about Muslims. A Georgian is much more likely to be disliked for being vaguely Chechen-like than a Tatar.

Very interesting
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 09:25:44 PM »

Well that's not any wackier than the Lebanon numbers and the US ones are higher after 9/11. Hey, look at those German numbers! Hmmm dazzleman, what was that crap again about how leftists love Islam and political correctness means loving Islam?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 09:08:05 AM »

Well that's not any wackier than the Lebanon numbers and the US ones are higher after 9/11. Hey, look at those German numbers! Hmmm dazzleman, what was that crap again about how leftists love Islam and political correctness means loving Islam?
Yeah, I've wondered about that figure too ... and of course wondered when it would be brought up.
Probably reflects a relative lack of political correctness, or something about the wording of the German-language version of the question.
Actually though, the other two German figures don't quite square with what I'd have expected either ... hm.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 12:38:15 PM »

Yeah, I've wondered about that figure too ... and of course wondered when it would be brought up.
Probably reflects a relative lack of political correctness, or something about the wording of the German-language version of the question.
Actually though, the other two German figures don't quite square with what I'd have expected either ... hm.

What numbers would you expect. I'll admit, the Jews figure seems a little disturbingly low.

Here's another interesting thing from the same poll:

All Western countries + India say Islam and all Muslim countries except Turkey say Judaism. That's not suprising. The interesting thing is a plurality in Turkey saying Christianity. Think they're thinking of Greece there? Also makes me wish Greece was included. Something else that seems odd though is that the US has the highest number of any of the western countries saying Christianity and that it, Britain and Canada have numbers for it higher than India. Hmmm...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 01:11:05 PM »

I think, with India, it's a case of 'by comparison'.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 01:16:48 AM »

Those Jordan results are ridiculous, or else the poll sample was too small. Having 0% for anything is suspicious.

Why does India have a greater dislike of Jews than Muslims? You'd think India would have a higher opinion of them given their joint troubles with muslims over the years. About 10% of Indians are Muslim so there's more to it than that.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 06:33:04 AM »

According to this Pew poll, nearly 10% of the population of the Anglo Saxon countries believe Christianity is the most violent religion -- greater than either atheist France or Russia, or caste-riddled India. The only accounting for that figure is the cumulative effect of political correctness, which is uniquely an English-language phenomenon.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2005, 07:54:01 AM »

According to this Pew poll, nearly 10% of the population of the Anglo Saxon countries believe Christianity is the most violent religion -- greater than either atheist France or Russia, or caste-riddled India. The only accounting for that figure is the cumulative effect of political correctness, which is uniquely an English-language phenomenon.

Perhaps they're merely being realistic.  Of course both christianity and islam are horribly violent, and one may say that islam is currently 'more violent' in an ideological sense (though that is quite dubious), the fact is that christianity has accomplished, historically speaking, enormously more violence than islam. 

And even today, the 'christian soldiers' of the empire are far more powerful than those of weak, rebellious islam.  Violent tendencies without the power to carry them out don't count for much.  For example, compare the numbers killed in the world trade center to the numbers slaughtered in Iraq.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2005, 09:22:31 AM »

Perhaps they're merely being realistic.  Of course both christianity and islam are horribly violent, and one may say that islam is currently 'more violent' in an ideological sense (though that is quite dubious), the fact is that christianity has accomplished, historically speaking, enormously more violence than islam. 

And even today, the 'christian soldiers' of the empire are far more powerful than those of weak, rebellious islam.  Violent tendencies without the power to carry them out don't count for much.  For example, compare the numbers killed in the world trade center to the numbers slaughtered in Iraq.
Both these factors quite clearly contribute.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 10:56:15 AM »

Its probably because of wife-beaters, who largely are "religous".
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 11:32:17 AM »

Poland's results are interesting.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2005, 01:26:38 PM »

About 10% of Indians are Muslim so there's more to it than that.

India is 20% Muslim actually.

In fact, India's President is a Muslim and thier top actors are Muslims too.

I think what increases Pakistan's tolerance score for Christianity is that thier best cricketer was a Christian.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies