Bob Brady to replace Arlen Specter????
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:31:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Bob Brady to replace Arlen Specter????
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bob Brady to replace Arlen Specter????  (Read 1349 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2005, 06:29:11 PM »

From the City Paper's Political Notebook

December 8-14, 2005

political notebook

Judge Knot
by Mary F. Patel

U.S. Rep. and Democratic City Committee Chairman Bob Brady received a check Sunday night from Democratic Women of Philadelphia, a fundraising arm of the Democratic City Committee, at their annual Christmas party in South Philly.

Was the contribution for the 2007 mayoral campaign he's being urged to enter? No. The donation was for Brady's re-election to Congress next year.

Meanwhile, Brady has been trying to identify Democrats to send over to Gov. Ed Rendell for consideration as a Supreme Court justice appointment to serve until the next appellate election in 2007. The newly appointed justice, most likely a Democrat, will replace Justice Russell Nigro, who lost his retention vote in last month's general election. Brady said he hasn't found anyone yet because the appointee would only serve out the remainder of the term and would have to agree not to run for the office.

So, what about Superior Court Judge Seamus McCaffery, who has made no secret of his plans to run for the higher court? McCaffery was going to run in 2009 after Justice Sandra Schultz Newman reaches the mandatory retirement age of 70 in 2008. Now he may run for Nigro's seat.

Newman, like Nigro, was up for a retention vote but managed to pull enough votes to keep her job.

Brady said he thinks Nigro will want some senior judgeship on another appellant bench, such as Superior or Commonwealth, but appointment to that status must happen while he still sits on the Supreme Court.

As for Brady, he is said to be U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter's choice to take the senator's seat should he retire early.

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 06:30:14 PM »

VERY odd if you ask me.  If Rendell were smart he'd pick Joe Hoeffel, not some union carpenter with a high school diploma.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 06:35:18 PM »

As for Brady, he is said to be U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter's choice to take the senator's seat should he retire early.

This can't be right. Specter wouldn't want to be replaced by a Democrat.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 06:39:47 PM »

Specter used to be a Democrat and is very good friends with Democratic DA Lynne Abraham.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 06:40:55 PM »

He probably knows that if Rendell is still governor, he would appoint a Democrat anyway - might as well appoint one that he likes.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 06:49:27 PM »

He probably knows that if Rendell is still governor, he would appoint a Democrat anyway - might as well appoint one that he likes.

Brady is a shocker though.  Thing with Brady is he's a bit unfriendly and have met him personally.  There must be some political tie I don't know about.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 06:55:11 PM »

Thanks, Don.  This is what we get for putting Specter in another 1/3 of a term.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 06:56:56 PM »

Specter finished chemo 5 months ago and I believe is on his way to a 100% recovery. I don't see any reason why he won't finish out his term.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 07:15:50 PM »

Specter finished chemo 5 months ago and I believe is on his way to a 100% recovery. I don't see any reason why he won't finish out his term.

I just found this recently.  I don't know why all the hubub about Specter leaving, but I figured I'd post this anyway.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 08:23:36 PM »

Specter might find Brady the palatable appointee that Rendell would appoint.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 08:28:05 PM »

Thanks, Don.  This is what we get for putting Specter in another 1/3 of a term.

How things would be different for Phil if Toomey had won that primary. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »

If Brady leaves the House it'll likely mean an extra Black Rep.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 04:33:58 PM »

Rendell would not be dumb enough to do this. Brady would get beat statewide without a doubt.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies