EU Parliament Elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:23:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EU Parliament Elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EU Parliament Elections  (Read 22014 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« on: May 13, 2004, 01:19:50 PM »

4 weeks today is the European Parliament Elections. Perhaps all Europeans would like to give some sort of explaination of the choices before them and the reasons for their likely vote.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 01:27:52 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2006, 04:45:20 PM by Peter Bell »

My EU Region is SE England

Parties Running: UKIP, Green, Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrat

I am a natural Wet Tory and therefore have inclinations to vote Conservative, however I am generally pro-European in the same vein as Ken Clarke.

I will not vote UKIP for obvious reasons; I will not vote Liberal Democrat because I find them to rabidly anti-Tory. That leaves me with three options, right now I am leaning towards Labour.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 08:52:18 PM »

With the turnout being as low as it is going to be, as Al says, there is a possibility of 17% according to the polls, is it possible that the BNP might get an MEP or maybe this Respect Party that is running Galloway in London?

Its a reasonable bet that UKIP and the Greens will do well, but maybe even smaller parties can break through, what about the SSP in Scotland as well?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 06:47:53 AM »

I don't think Galloway will become an MEP... "Respect" is in direct confrontation with the Greenies who were there first... the BNP has a chance in the North West apparently (see? This is why PR is both undemocratic and stupid)... but they have an even better chance of getting someone elected to the GLA... PR is a f***ing joke... there is no way those Nazi's would ever get close to winning a seat in the old FPTP elected GLC...
On the bright side it means they won't be as focused on local elections.

Whilst I certainly do not relish the prospect of having the BNP in any elected position, one can hardly blame the electoral system, when the turnout gets as low as its going to be, it is no surprise that you get some nutcase extremists elected; Don't they need to get a 5% quota before they can qualify for seats?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 08:21:45 AM »

It's a shame we don't have any Pro-Euro Conservatives in Britain else I would certainly vote for them; Ken Clarke and his merry men should do their pro-Euro thing like they did in 1999.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 08:07:21 AM »

www.votematch.net results:
Much agreement (in order):
1. ELDR
2. PES
3. Greens
4. EPP
Little agreement:
5. NGL/GUE
6. EDD
7. UEN

I am likely to vote PES (labour) or Green (Green)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 09:58:01 AM »

I think what the test was leaning toward was the possibility of taxing personal incomes, which it presently does not do. Even then, its present taxation powers are very limited in scope.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 05:41:12 PM »

I think what the test was leaning toward was the possibility of taxing personal incomes, which it presently does not do. Even then, its present taxation powers are very limited in scope.

What? I thought the EU did not have taxation powers? Huh

I thought that the fee we pay to the EU was from tax money collected by the national governments? Or am I missing something?

I think there are a few universally agreed taxes against businesses for environmental reasons (essentially green taxes), there are no taxes on personal incomes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies