Opinion of John Brown
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:38:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of John Brown
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of John Brown
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Opinion of John Brown  (Read 1815 times)
Tory

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2005, 03:35:53 PM »

Freedom Fighter
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2005, 08:44:07 PM »

Horrible Person. He could have made a principled stand against slavery without the violent tactics. Peaceful protests against any injustice works in the long run. For example, Rosa Parks' stand against segregation in Alabama

I agree.  Two wrongs never make a right.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2005, 09:48:25 PM »

I don't know who he is, but I know there's a really hot guy with that name in my school... I used to like him...  He's kinda stupid though.

Rin-chan
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2005, 10:52:35 PM »

I don't know who he is, but I know there's a really hot guy with that name in my school... I used to like him...  He's kinda stupid though.

Rin-chan

This made me laugh, mainly because the picture I've seen of this John Brown are usually very, very ugly Tongue

Here's a Wiki link to this John Brown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brown_%28abolitionist%29
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 01:39:27 AM »

A horrible man who brutally murdered women and children in their sleep. Thankfully the commonwealth of Virginia put an end to that whackjob.

Didn't you know that John Brown's Body lies a' moldering in the grave,  but his soul goes marching on? Wink

I don't remember him murdering civilians, I just remember him being captured at an arsenal. I voted freedom fighter, since (whatever his mental state) his general motives were good, too help free the slaves.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2005, 12:56:31 PM »

He didn't kill slaveowners. He did kill plenty of innocent people though, and I think a slave.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2005, 02:22:21 PM »

Really he was just ahead of his time. Crazy people like him now become House Minority leader, Chairman of the Democratic Party, and so on.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2005, 03:21:35 PM »

Horrible Person, obviously.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2005, 09:18:09 PM »

A horrible man who brutally murdered women and children in their sleep. Thankfully the commonwealth of Virginia put an end to that whackjob.

Didn't you know that John Brown's Body lies a' moldering in the grave,  but his soul goes marching on? Wink

I don't remember him murdering civilians, I just remember him being captured at an arsenal. I voted freedom fighter, since (whatever his mental state) his general motives were good, too help free the slaves.

Yes, driving spears through babies in their cribs is certainly "freedom fighting".
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2005, 10:46:10 PM »

Yes, driving spears through babies in their cribs is certainly "freedom fighting".

Don't be rude Angry (annoyed, not angry)

Like I said, I don't know all the details of what he did, and I don't feel like reading into 1850's history right now.

I thought that to Union supporters, John Brown was a good guy, just like I'm sure to supporters of the Confederacy, that guy who beat Senator Sumner with a cane is a good guy. Both did terrible things, but thats not the main reason they are famous.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies