Is hating the US a mental illness?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:02:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is hating the US a mental illness?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: It's your choose
Yes... DIE TERRORIST

No... HELLO FREEDOM FIGHTER!!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Is hating the US a mental illness?  (Read 5445 times)
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2005, 07:59:50 AM »

I myself say No... I don't hate, but I dislike the US btw... Canada too, eh!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 08:57:23 AM »

No, but apparently being Mexican is.

I can't wait for Opebo to turn up here and say, "Of course not.  Hating the US is a perfectly respectable position to take, and should be encouraged among all terrorists."  I wonder if he even types with a straight face any more.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 11:22:21 AM »

Of course not.  Typing without a straight face is a perfectly respectable position to take, and should be encouraged among all terrorists.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 11:50:34 AM »

Yes
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 12:24:11 PM »

No, but apparently being Mexican is.

I can't wait for Opebo to turn up here and say, "Of course not.  Hating the US is a perfectly respectable position to take, and should be encouraged among all terrorists."  I wonder if he even types with a straight face any more.

Of course the term 'terrorist' is a joke-term, Joe Republican.  But certainly hating the US is reasonable for 1) foreigners who have been harmed by it - this includes a huge portion of the worlds population, and 2) Americans who have had to live under the bootheel of its police state all their lives.  This includes all freedom-loving Americans, though admittedly only a minority of citizens.  Lastly, 3) Americans could also hate it for purely aesthetic reasons - it is ugly, the food is atrocious, it makes you fat, it involves endless driving, is poorly designed, the culture is prudish sh**t, etc.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 05:59:41 PM »

Not in itself, but it can be related to several different metal disorders, such as meglomania (the belief that your country is the destined to be the greatest and the US gets in the way of that), inferiority complex (mostly in Third World and Mexico and Canada), superiority complex (France and also Canada), Narcistic personality disorder (in any country that believes they are culturally superior to the US).  And the list goes on.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 06:51:42 PM »

If it is than like essentially the entire world has a mental illness...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 07:47:37 PM »

Not in itself, but it can be related to ... inferiority complex (mostly in Third World and Mexico and Canada), superiority complex (France and also Canada)

If we apparently have both an inferiority and a superiority complex, that sounds like it should balance out nicely. Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 08:15:17 PM »

I wonder if anybody who seriously voted 'yes' would apply the same standards to people who hate other countries.  Is hating France a mental illness?  What about people who hate the obscure countries like Vanuatu or Liechtenstein?  And what about people who love the US?  I hope there is some consistency here.
Tory

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 08:38:25 PM »

No, but sometimes I seriously wonder
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 08:42:38 PM »

It's not a mental illness.  However, I do think that if anyone does hate the U.S. and still lives here, move to Canada or France or something... If you hate is so much, leave!

Rin-chan
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 10:59:35 PM »

Not in itself, but it can be related to ... inferiority complex (mostly in Third World and Mexico and Canada), superiority complex (France and also Canada)

If we apparently have both an inferiority and a superiority complex, that sounds like it should balance out nicely. Tongue

Each one predominates within different parts of Canada.  Quebec being the most "superior".  Wink
Andrew
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 11:15:05 PM »

I think that obsession with France might be a mental illness.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 12:14:11 AM »

I Purple heart France.. I HATE the US (and Canada).
Anyways... The only thing that is a mental illness is to be proud to be an "American" I wholly agree with opebo. The food here is GROSS, it'll make you fat, and the culture is pure garbage.
Not to mention. While they demonize the muslims, they cuddle with the Jews.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 08:20:15 PM »

I Purple heart France.. I HATE the US (and Canada).
Anyways... The only thing that is a mental illness is to be proud to be an "American" I wholly agree with opebo. The food here is GROSS, it'll make you fat, and the culture is pure garbage.
Not to mention. While they demonize the muslims, they cuddle with the Jews.

If our country is so horrible, then why are so many of your people in such a rush to get here?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 10:18:43 PM »

I wonder if anybody who seriously voted 'yes' would apply the same standards to people who hate other countries.  Is hating France a mental illness?  What about people who hate the obscure countries like Vanuatu or Liechtenstein?  And what about people who love the US?  I hope there is some consistency here.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 11:01:09 PM »

First, anyone who hates Vanuatu probably does have a mental illness.  Who the hell cares enough about Vanuatu to hate it?  What did Vanuatu ever do to anyone?

Aside from that, not all countries are created equal, and some countries do deserve resentment.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 12:01:03 AM »

First, anyone who hates Vanuatu probably does have a mental illness.  Who the hell cares enough about Vanuatu to hate it?  What did Vanuatu ever do to anyone?

IT MESSES UP MY PERFECT SCORE ON THE GEOGRAPHICAL OLYMPICS Angry

goddamn vanuatu
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 10:58:53 AM »

You would have to have a mental illness not to love the the U.S.

Or sandcastles with moats.

psst. I dislike (not hate) the US, yet I love sandcastles with moats
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 11:08:59 AM »

Aside from that, not all countries are created equal, and some countries do deserve resentment.

That's not too fair.  Countries are not singular entities; they're a collection of people.  Simply because a national leader or perhaps a large number of their citizens do something you don't like doesn't mean you should resent everybody in the entire country.  Plus, to say that people who do/don't hate a country have a mental illness is absurd.

I'll reiterate - to the people who seriously voted 'yes' here, is hating France a mental illness?  What about Israel?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 12:19:34 PM »

No, but Killertrolla is a mental illness, apparently.

Seriously, if you hate Jewish people so much, don't even associate with them. That means get off the f**king board and register on some stupid anti-Jew message board where there are likely no Jewish posters. I'm not leaving just because you apparently hate Jews.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 12:36:38 PM »

No, but many people who hate a country for political reasons, just like those who hate a stranger for political reasons, unless they were personally affected, exhibit some kind of unhealthy emotional state, where they allow their happiness to be too much mixed up in world affairs that don't affect them directly. Of course, it's great to be concerned about the world around one, but some people allow themselves to be too intermixed into it to the extent that they hate someone or something else due to it, and that it's not necessarily conducive to their happiness or perspective. I know because I've sometimes been this way, though it wasn't due to hating a country.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 01:48:00 PM »

That's not too fair.  Countries are not singular entities; they're a collection of people.  Simply because a national leader or perhaps a large number of their citizens do something you don't like doesn't mean you should resent everybody in the entire country.  Plus, to say that people who do/don't hate a country have a mental illness is absurd.

I'll reiterate - to the people who seriously voted 'yes' here, is hating France a mental illness?  What about Israel?

Of course its fair.  So what if countries are not singular entities?  Country A has ten people, nine are good.  Country B has ten people, two are good.  Is it not fair to say that country A has a more honorable people?  Even if B has some good things, and A has some bad things, A is still measurably superior.

Besides, I think you've inadvertently proven my point that no one should hate a country, especially the United States.  Take North Korea, for example, North Korea is one of the darkest, most miserable places on Earth.  Should I hate North Korea?  Of course not.  I actually feel tremendous pity and sympathy for the poor people there.  Far from hating North Korea, I hope for the best for its people even while I detest its government.  To hate North Korea is in a way a mental dysfunction because it fails to sseperate things that should be considered seperately.  So you've kind of proven my point for me.  No country is all bad, so why should anyone hate, really hate, any country?

Anyone who actually hates France (not just someone who makes fun of it, but really detests French society) does have a sort of mental illness.  There's a lot about France I find annoying, but no one should hate a country that has the level of freedom France does.

As for hating Israel, basically the same thing.  I'm also wary of people who hate Israel because usually they just hate Jews.

Hate is a very strong word, in most cases, hating a whole country is really twisted.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 03:13:10 PM »

Only if you're an American. Tongue

BTW, the US is one of the best nations on Earth, if not the best. If nothing else, everything to the south of us is worse. All of Africa and most of Asia is worse, eastern Europe is worse, most of the pacific is worse... if you want nations that approach/equal/beat the US, you're pretty much limited to Japan,  Australia, Canada, and a few western European countries.

I can only think of a handful of things that would reduce the US in greatness, most of which involve a coup, massive worldwide depression, and/or substantial numbers of nuclear weapons (such that Iran could not possibly accomplish). 
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 03:17:45 PM »

Only if you're an American. Tongue

BTW, the US is one of the best nations on Earth, if not the best. If nothing else, everything to the south of us is worse. All of Africa and most of Asia is worse, eastern Europe is worse, most of the pacific is worse... if you want nations that approach/equal/beat the US, you're pretty much limited to Japan,  Australia, Canada, and a few western European countries.

Singapore.  Smiley

I think that obsession with France might be a mental illness.

No, it's not a mental illness.  It's a right of passage.  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies