Would you ever grant clemency to someone on death row?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:43:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would you ever grant clemency to someone on death row?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you ever grant clemency to someone on death row?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Would you ever grant clemency to someone on death row?  (Read 2113 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2005, 12:20:01 PM »

Another problem concerning the death penalty is that it, like other criminal offenses, is related to poverty. Most of the people on death row are poor, partly because higher crime rates come with poverty, but also because poorer people can't afford qualified lawyers.

I would have to disagree.  Even in the direst times, there is no reason to resort to killing an innocent person.  Now, if you were to say (and I don't have any data to verify this) that highest percentage of a demographic on death row were gang members, you can draw a correlation between poor people belonging to gangs, and are then more prone to commit violent acts.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2005, 12:29:05 PM »

Another problem concerning the death penalty is that it, like other criminal offenses, is related to poverty. Most of the people on death row are poor, partly because higher crime rates come with poverty, but also because poorer people can't afford qualified lawyers.

I would have to disagree.  Even in the direst times, there is no reason to resort to killing an innocent person.

Of course there is, MODU.  By doing so one can get money, etc.   

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here MODU.  That there is invariably an intermediary step between poverty and murder, and that is 'gang' membership?  In many cases I feel sure the poor, in their desperation, murder even without the benefit of such a fraternal organization.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2005, 01:26:51 PM »

Unlikely.  Probably not.  I will probably laugh and with a smile say, "die sucker!"
jacob_101

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2005, 02:20:10 PM »

Of course, if someone was convicted erroneously or there was considerable doubt about his guilt.  Otherwise the law needs to be upheld.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2005, 03:45:25 PM »

Yes, if and only if there was hard evidence they were innocent.  If the evidence isn't clear or substantial enough, too bad.

Rin-chan
According to my dictionary clemency means mercy or leniency. In that case we think the person is guilty but we go easy on him for one reason or another. On the other hand, if there is new evidence which suggests the person is innocent then  I would give a temporary reprieve pending a new trial, or if the evidence is conclusive that he is innocent I would grant him a full pardon absolving him of all guilt, restoring his rights and releasing him immediately.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2005, 05:11:53 PM »

Yes, if I felt the trial was unfair, sufficient new evidence surfaced to cast serious doubt on the guilt of the convict, or something of that nature - you know, basically what the clemency power was meant for in the first place.

^^^^^^^^
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies