Would you ever grant clemency to someone on death row? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:42:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would you ever grant clemency to someone on death row? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you ever grant clemency to someone on death row?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Would you ever grant clemency to someone on death row?  (Read 2142 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 13, 2005, 10:31:22 PM »

There has to be a good reason, such as reasonable doubt over the trial for example.  However, all of that would have already been debated in the courts.  Any "last minute" evidence will be frown upon since it would be skeptical.  So, the odds of me granting clemency would be very thin, but I wouldn't rule it out all together.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 10:50:13 PM »

Thats not a fair question. For those of us who are in favor of the death penalty, it should be a case by case decision. Obviously those against the death penalty will always vote to grant clemency.

That's why it's phrased "Would you ever..." That allows for case by case.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 12:20:01 PM »

Another problem concerning the death penalty is that it, like other criminal offenses, is related to poverty. Most of the people on death row are poor, partly because higher crime rates come with poverty, but also because poorer people can't afford qualified lawyers.

I would have to disagree.  Even in the direst times, there is no reason to resort to killing an innocent person.  Now, if you were to say (and I don't have any data to verify this) that highest percentage of a demographic on death row were gang members, you can draw a correlation between poor people belonging to gangs, and are then more prone to commit violent acts.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies