public transportation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:33:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  public transportation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: public transportation  (Read 3149 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« on: December 13, 2005, 06:03:15 PM »

should public transportation be free to riders?  in other words, should the government subsidize the entire operation, especially since it is mainly poors who ride.

or

should it be privately run  and profit driven?

my solution would be somewhere in between,  i do believe that kids should ride free, as should anyone that receives in sort of public assistance (section 8, food stamps, etc)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 07:18:06 PM »

Sadly you have to charge... having said that, there should be a well-thought out system of exemptions, discounts and so on.

I'm a big believer in an integregated public transport system... you should be able to buy one ticket that lets you get from a to b using any public transport system avaliable between those two points.

The local Baton Rouge LA bus service has rased its fares from $1.25 per adult ride (same as Houston's, but encompassing only a fraction of the area) to $1.75. It is also raising the prices of its passes as well.

Mind you, fares are going up even though all the evacuees from New Orleans have increased ridership.

that is way too much for a bus ride,

here in boston a bus ride is only 90 cents.  the subway costs $1.25
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 10:23:42 AM »

The public transportation in my town is free and I think that's a good idea.

chapel hill?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 08:08:26 PM »

In suburban Chicagoland it costs about $5 to provide a ride on a bus for normal passengers. The agency has a goal of recovering half of the operating cost from the fare, leaving the rest to come from government subsidy. Some lines gain opering fares by contracting with private employers to meet their employees particular needs, this can even reduce the cost to zero for those employees as a benefit.

The goverment role provides two primary benefits. One is to reduce traffic congestion, and consequently reduce road maintainance and improvement costs. The other is to provide mobility to members of the public without access to a car.

ive read that in boston the goal is to keep the cost of each route to $3.30 per passenter or lower.

if the average cost creeps above that benchmark the route is usually discontinued or combined with an other one.

on a side note, the average cost per passenger for the 'night owl' service that boston provided a few years back was nearly $10.  however, they still charged the standard fare.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies