public transportation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:28:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  public transportation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: public transportation  (Read 3153 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« on: December 13, 2005, 11:02:30 PM »

Almost everywhere in the world, public transportation is government-run because it has to be. Most cities in the world (except in very crowded ones like Hong Kong, and Singapore, with a lack of private cars and a high concentration of demand) just aren't dense enough to make private buses profitable. I think they should make better use of advertising (in Hong Kong they have billboards on the side of subway tunnels) and stamp out fare avoidance, to keep prices lower for everyone.

I remember when I lived in Geneva I never once paid for the use of public transportation.  The two times I saw inspectors in the six months I was there I simply hopped off the bus, tram, or train before they got to me.
Lucky fool, you!! I remember being with my mom in the London Tube and when we tried to leave the station (Ealing Common) we were fined ten pounds as the inspector at the gate caught us not having a ticket that allowed us to travel beyond Zone 2.

I think this is another bad side-effect of urban sprawl. Public transit just cannot keep up with the same amount of efficiency that a denser city can, meaning poorer services and higher fares. Here in Victoria, with a population of around 350,000, a bus ride is $1.25.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 12:14:15 AM »

Do either of you think its fair to cheat the system?
No, I don't of course. I was travelling with my mom and she didn't quite understand the whole process of zoning. We were fined ten pounds, we shut up and learn from it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies