NY-03 Nassau Legislator Dave Mejias vs Peter King (link to debate on page 5)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:24:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-03 Nassau Legislator Dave Mejias vs Peter King (link to debate on page 5)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: NY-03 Nassau Legislator Dave Mejias vs Peter King (link to debate on page 5)  (Read 17792 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2005, 11:36:44 PM »
« edited: October 18, 2006, 05:29:10 PM by Smash255 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-uspoll134550188dec13,0,4523254.story?coll=ny-uspolitics-headlines

Denenberg dropped out due to health reasons (throat operation).  Nassau legis Dave Mejias is now running ( full update as of 5/20 on top of page 3)
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 02:18:27 AM »

Two Bishops on Long Island would be pretty weird...

But I don't trust the results of a Democratic push poll.  There's also no guarantee Bush will be this unpopular 11 months from now, but it seems like it King could get a run for his money
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 03:06:14 AM »

But I don't trust the results of a Democratic push poll.  There's also no guarantee Bush will be this unpopular 11 months from now, but it seems like it King could get a run for his money

Granted the results are a bit skeptical considering its a bit of a push poll in istances.  While the numbers may be off it basically confirms my thoughts of the district.  At this point King has a strong chance to win re-election, however if he national Dems decide to pour $$ into this race & can tie King to Bush, he is quite vulnerable.  Also Bishop is the biggest name that has so far been discussed.  Things could get even more interesting if Town of Babylon Supervisor Steve Bellone jumps in this race (much more name reg than David Bishop, and is quite popular.  And if Nassau County Exec Tom Suozzi can control his own aarogance a bit & decide to go for this race instead of a primary challenge to Spitzer things would become VERY difficult for King. 
With that being said their has been little to nothing from Bellone's camp about a possible run & Suozzi at this point as his eyes set on the Governor's mansion.   What really bugs me about my district is King is without question beatable, however the candidates who could beat him seem to be staying out & the $$ seems to be staying out as well.  Which is a shame because he is beatable & his views are far more conservative than the district is (granted it went Bush last year, but that had 9/11 impact written all over it,  Gore won the current district by 8.5 (by 13 with the old lines) and in the last year the district (as well as the rest of LI) has turned HARD against Bush
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 07:56:52 AM »

Damnit....

on the bright side, playing in this race would be insansely expensive and it might be better for Dems to focus elsewhere with their resources where 2006 might afford once in a lifetime opportunities...

IMHO, NY-03 will just get more and more competitive over time and there are other recruits (Nassau DA Rice) that will be ripe and ready by that time...
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 08:02:19 AM »

Well, for some reason, there are a bunch of same-named congressmen next to each other for random reaons...

Consider VA's Reps. Davis or TX's Greens or (in '07) PA's Murphys
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 05:54:27 PM »

Damnit....

on the bright side, playing in this race would be insansely expensive and it might be better for Dems to focus elsewhere with their resources where 2006 might afford once in a lifetime opportunities...

IMHO, NY-03 will just get more and more competitive over time and there are other recruits (Nassau DA Rice) that will be ripe and ready by that time...

If King is still in the seat, Rice would have a VERY GOOD chance of knocking him off in 08.  At that point she would have a few years as FA under her belt.  At this point its too early for her to run, being that she is only DA-elect at this point.  She ran an AMAZINg camapaign to knock off a conservative Incumbent DA & used his conservative stances against him.  While the district is more conservative & GOP  than Nassau County as a whole.  Rice wil  be much better knwon in 08 than she was this year & Dillon is FAR FAR more popular than King.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 05:58:24 PM »

No polling in King v. Suozzi?  not that it'll happen..
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 06:05:41 PM »

No polling in King v. Suozzi?  not that it'll happen..

The only poll that I have seen is the one in the article (partially paid for by Dave Bishop).  Anyway no poll is really needed for a King/Suozzi  race.  If Suozzi runs he wins, only problem is Suozzi wants to be in Albany, but the seat is his if he wnats it.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 07:03:51 PM »

UWhile vulnerable the seat most likely will remain King's seat, however if the Dems to mount a credile challenge with $$$ & name regonition King could be ins erious trouble (and is done ifSuozzi runs which is unlikely).  While Bishop (NY-01)won by the smlallest margin of Long Island's Congressional delegation in 02 King is eaily the most vulnerable.  The GOP went hard for Bishop's seat last time & came up wityh a double digit loss, that was a very friendly yeaar for the GOP on Long Island (something that won' be even remotley close next year.  Tim Bishop is pretty much safe.  (NY-04)Carolyn McCarthy faced a challenge last time where the GOP thew a well funded Garner at her, but he got obliterated.  She is very safe.  Israel (NY-02) & Ackerman (NY-05) are WAY BEYOND SAFE
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 12:15:31 AM »

Damnit....

If King is still in the seat, Rice would have a VERY GOOD chance of knocking him off in 08.  At that point she would have a few years as FA under her belt.  At this point its too early for her to run, being that she is only DA-elect at this point.  She ran an AMAZINg camapaign to knock off a conservative Incumbent DA & used his conservative stances against him.  While the district is more conservative & GOP  than Nassau County as a whole.  Rice wil  be much better knwon in 08 than she was this year & Dillon is FAR FAR more popular than King.

Unfortunately, Rice's website seems to indicate that she's from Garden City which is in Maloney's 4th district, not King's.  If she'd like to challenge Maloney in eight years or so in the primary, though, I don't think anyone would mind her taking the seat because Maloney is, frankly, a pretty poor representative...

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 12:44:17 AM »

Damnit....

Unfortunately, Rice's website seems to indicate that she's from Garden City which is in Maloney's 4th district, not King's.  If she'd like to challenge Maloney in eight years or so in the primary, though, I don't think anyone would mind her taking the seat because Maloney is, frankly, a pretty poor representative...

Rice grew up in Garden City (graduated from Garden City High School).  I'm not sure where in Nassau she currently lives, I could be wrong, but I assume she now lives somewhere in the 3rd district because I have heard her name thrown arouund.  Also its Caryolyn McCarthy in the 4th not Maloney (Maloney is a Rep in NYC)
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 01:24:36 AM »

Damnit....

Rice grew up in Garden City (graduated from Garden City High School).  I'm not sure where in Nassau she currently lives, I could be wrong, but I assume she now lives somewhere in the 3rd district because I have heard her name thrown arouund.  Also its Caryolyn McCarthy in the 4th not Maloney (Maloney is a Rep in NYC)

My bad.  The disparanging remarks were directed at McCarthy, not Maloney... I hope you're right about Rice because I think she'd be a great candidate in a couple years...

Speaking of NY congressional races, what do you think the prospects of that DA Acuri against Rep. Sherwood Boehlert in upstate?  And any word on a Fossella challenger?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 02:00:06 AM »

Damnit....

My bad.  The disparanging remarks were directed at McCarthy, not Maloney... I hope you're right about Rice because I think she'd be a great candidate in a couple years...

Speaking of NY congressional races, what do you think the prospects of that DA Acuri against Rep. Sherwood Boehlert in upstate?  And any word on a Fossella challenger?

I have no real problem with McCarthy.  Haven't heard of any Fossella challenge as of yet.  I think Acuri would have a  decent chance of knocking off Boehlert, but I don't know all that much about the district
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 02:43:41 AM »

You honestly think Fossella can get knocked off?  Staten Island is the single most conservative section of any area in the Northeast Corridor PERIOD!  Damn, this Suozzi guy better run in NY 3.  Is King one of those guys who's fairly well liked even though Kerry won the district?  This is kinda like Curt Weldon in PA 7. 
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 09:45:40 PM »

You honestly think Fossella can get knocked off?  Staten Island is the single most conservative section of any area in the Northeast Corridor PERIOD!  Damn, this Suozzi guy better run in NY 3.  Is King one of those guys who's fairly well liked even though Kerry won the district?  This is kinda like Curt Weldon in PA 7. 

Based on his website alone, Bryan Lentz looks like a fairly good candidate, but I have heard very little buzz about him.  Is PA-07 a totally lost cause?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 10:46:58 PM »

Bush actually won the district by about 4.7%, though that is pretty much due to the 9/11 bump he received in the area last year which is gone this year.  The district went to Gore by more than 13 points  under the old lines in 2000.  re-districting did make the  district more Republican, but even the current district went to Gore by 8.5 points or so in 2000.  As far as King's popularity he really isn't all that popular.  He really hasn't had any challengers to speak of whatsoever who had any kind of name regonition in the district.  He has also become more conservative in a district despite the favorable GOP re-districting has become more liberal.  He has also changed from being a more Independet minded Republican to pretty much a complete Party line Republican who is quite close with Bush.  As I said above the district did go to Bush last year, but has turned HARD against Bush over  the past year (even mroe so than the nation as a whole).

The district is certainly winnable.  However the right pieces need to fall in place from national $$$ to candidates with the name regonition to win.  Those candidates certaintly do exist, but it seems like those who can knock off King as well as the $$ needed to knock off King will stay out of the race, at this point (though I hope things will change)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2005, 03:28:06 AM »

Nassau County Legislature Dave Mejias D- North Massapequa (14th LD, which is my LD) is considering a run & has been urged to run by Suffolk County Democratic Chairman Richard Schaffer  as well as two Long Island Democratic members of Congress (Steve IsraelNY-02 & Gary Ackerman NY-05).  While my top choice is Suozzi, I am very enthusticastic about a possible Mejias run.  Very down to earth & charsmatic & would be a great improvement over King

BY J. JIONI PALMER
WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - With national Democrats buoyed by a recent internal poll hinting veteran Rep. Peter King is potentially vulnerable to a challenge, Nassau Legis. David Mejias traveled to Capitol Hill Friday for a meeting with top lawmakers eager for him to run.

Mejias, 35, who last month won a second term in a district where Republicans outnumber Democrats 2 to 1, said yesterday that he hasn't decided for sure whether to mix it up with the seven-term Seaford Republican.
"Right now, I'm considering it very seriously," said Mejias, of North Massapequa. He said he was urged to run by Reps. Gary Ackerman (D-Jamaica Estates) and Steve Israel (D-Huntington) and Suffolk County Democratic Chairman Richard Schaffer.

Mejias said he expects to make a decision "within the next four to six weeks" after weighing various factors, most notably his ability to raise the $1 million to $2 million he needs for a credible challenge.

In Washington, Mejias said, he met with Ackerman, Israel, Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.), who is helping manage House races, and members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus. "They were very . . . excited about the race," Mejias said.

Congressional Democrats have been buzzing after a survey of King's South Shore district showed him susceptible to a campaign that would link him to his strong support of President George W. Bush and the war in Iraq, which the poll concluded are highly unpopular.

Initial attention focused on Suffolk Legis. David Bishop (D-West Babylon), who the poll showed at first being trounced by King. But the results reversed after King's support of Bush and the war were highlighted.

However, Bishop bowed out after national Democrats wouldn't commit to make the race a top priority and some New York Democratic lawmakers balked at backing a race against King. But that now appears to have changed.

"If he decides to run for Congress, it's clear that he has a lot of fans in New York and Washington who would heavily support him," Jennifer Psaki, a spokeswoman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, said of Mejias.

Jack Pratt, Israel's chief of staff, said the congressman is also willing to help Mejias, including fund-raising.

King said yesterday he never thought he'd go unchallenged. "Someone has to run," he said.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usking184556945dec18,0,6428402.story?coll=ny-uspolitics-headlines
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2005, 10:33:59 PM »

Nassau County Legislature Dave Mejias D- North Massapequa (14th LD, which is my LD) is considering a run & has been urged to run by Suffolk County Democratic Chairman Richard Schaffer  as well as two Long Island Democratic members of Congress (Steve IsraelNY-02 & Gary Ackerman NY-05).  While my top choice is Suozzi, I am very enthusticastic about a possible Mejias run.  Very down to earth & charsmatic & would be a great improvement over King

BY J. JIONI PALMER
WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - With national Democrats buoyed by a recent internal poll hinting veteran Rep. Peter King is potentially vulnerable to a challenge, Nassau Legis. David Mejias traveled to Capitol Hill Friday for a meeting with top lawmakers eager for him to run.

Mejias, 35, who last month won a second term in a district where Republicans outnumber Democrats 2 to 1, said yesterday that he hasn't decided for sure whether to mix it up with the seven-term Seaford Republican.
"Right now, I'm considering it very seriously," said Mejias, of North Massapequa. He said he was urged to run by Reps. Gary Ackerman (D-Jamaica Estates) and Steve Israel (D-Huntington) and Suffolk County Democratic Chairman Richard Schaffer.

Mejias said he expects to make a decision "within the next four to six weeks" after weighing various factors, most notably his ability to raise the $1 million to $2 million he needs for a credible challenge.

In Washington, Mejias said, he met with Ackerman, Israel, Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.), who is helping manage House races, and members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus. "They were very . . . excited about the race," Mejias said.

Congressional Democrats have been buzzing after a survey of King's South Shore district showed him susceptible to a campaign that would link him to his strong support of President George W. Bush and the war in Iraq, which the poll concluded are highly unpopular.

Initial attention focused on Suffolk Legis. David Bishop (D-West Babylon), who the poll showed at first being trounced by King. But the results reversed after King's support of Bush and the war were highlighted.

However, Bishop bowed out after national Democrats wouldn't commit to make the race a top priority and some New York Democratic lawmakers balked at backing a race against King. But that now appears to have changed.

"If he decides to run for Congress, it's clear that he has a lot of fans in New York and Washington who would heavily support him," Jennifer Psaki, a spokeswoman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, said of Mejias.

Jack Pratt, Israel's chief of staff, said the congressman is also willing to help Mejias, including fund-raising.

King said yesterday he never thought he'd go unchallenged. "Someone has to run," he said.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usking184556945dec18,0,6428402.story?coll=ny-uspolitics-headlines

Hmmm... is Steve Israel showing more enthusiasm for Mejias than a potential Bishop bid?  Could he still be a little angry over that nasty primary...

In any case, geographically Mejias seems to be a better fit for the district, coming from Nassau rather than the small Suffolk portion. 
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2005, 10:35:48 PM »

Is this the guy on CNN right now (not Charlie Rangel)?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 12:34:21 AM »

BY J. JIONI PALMER
WASHINGTON BUREAU

Hmmm... is Steve Israel showing more enthusiasm for Mejias than a potential Bishop bid?  Could he still be a little angry over that nasty primary...

In any case, geographically Mejias seems to be a better fit for the district, coming from Nassau rather than the small Suffolk portion. 

Mejias is a bit more energetic than Bishop which is would help, he would also have more appeal than Bishop.   At this point also Mejias  probably does have more name recognition than Bishop does (78% of the district according to voter regristration totals is in Nassau).  The Tom Suozzi factor also benefits Mejias.  The Nassau  County Executive is quite popular here & just off a landsldie victory.  Mejias is a close ally with Suozzi, something Bishop doesn't have the benefit of since he is in Suffolk County.  Being close with Suozzi also gives Mejias more appeal than Bishop.  Another thing that works in Mejias's favor, is the fact Mejias's LD is heavily Republican, and he has been able to win there.  Bishop who was term-limited & couldn't run again in his LD this fall, is popular in his district, but comes from a district that tends to be much more Dem friendly than Mejias's district.  In other words Mejias will more than likley be able to pick up more cross party votes in his home district than Bishop would pick up in his home district. 

If Bishop did get the nod I would strongly support him.  King must go & he is clearly vulnerable.  Few things need to come in place to make this race a really competitve one though, one his national $$ the other is the candidate themselves with strong appeal & name regonition.  While my first choice remains Suozzi, he seems to have his eyes set on Albany with a primary challenge to Spitzer.  While I personally like Bishop, and feel both Bishop & Mejias can knock off King if given the opportunity & resources, I would rather Mejias (and no not just because he is my Legislator).  Mejias would have more appeal, the better chance of getting the $$ needed from the nartional Dems, and overall a better shot of knocking off the slimebag King & send him packing than Bishop would. 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2005, 01:40:51 AM »

Is this the guy on CNN right now (not Charlie Rangel)?

Didn't see it live, just saw the replay, but unfortunley that doofus is my Congressman Peter King
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 05:05:47 AM »

BY J. JIONI PALMER
WASHINGTON BUREAU

Mejias is a bit more energetic than Bishop which is would help, he would also have more appeal than Bishop.   At this point also Mejias  probably does have more name recognition than Bishop does (78% of the district according to voter regristration totals is in Nassau).  The Tom Suozzi factor also benefits Mejias.  The Nassau  County Executive is quite popular here & just off a landsldie victory.  Mejias is a close ally with Suozzi, something Bishop doesn't have the benefit of since he is in Suffolk County.  Being close with Suozzi also gives Mejias more appeal than Bishop.  Another thing that works in Mejias's favor, is the fact Mejias's LD is heavily Republican, and he has been able to win there.  Bishop who was term-limited & couldn't run again in his LD this fall, is popular in his district, but comes from a district that tends to be much more Dem friendly than Mejias's district.  In other words Mejias will more than likley be able to pick up more cross party votes in his home district than Bishop would pick up in his home district. 

If Bishop did get the nod I would strongly support him.  King must go & he is clearly vulnerable.  Few things need to come in place to make this race a really competitve one though, one his national $$ the other is the candidate themselves with strong appeal & name regonition.  While my first choice remains Suozzi, he seems to have his eyes set on Albany with a primary challenge to Spitzer.  While I personally like Bishop, and feel both Bishop & Mejias can knock off King if given the opportunity & resources, I would rather Mejias (and no not just because he is my Legislator).  Mejias would have more appeal, the better chance of getting the $$ needed from the nartional Dems, and overall a better shot of knocking off the slimebag King & send him packing than Bishop would. 

There's also the fact that Mejias--at least from this article--is looking very much like a candidate.  It seems to me that the congressional race would also be a decent political move for him.  I'm not sure how much longer he will be able to hold his legislative seat given its close margin... he would probably be better off seeking countywide office eventually and even a close congressional loss would probably not really harm such an ambition...

BTW, are the legislative offices 2 or 4-year terms?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 12:35:57 AM »

BY J. JIONI PALMER
WASHINGTON BUREAU

There's also the fact that Mejias--at least from this article--is looking very much like a candidate.  It seems to me that the congressional race would also be a decent political move for him.  I'm not sure how much longer he will be able to hold his legislative seat given its close margin... he would probably be better off seeking countywide office eventually and even a close congressional loss would probably not really harm such an ambition...

BTW, are the legislative offices 2 or 4-year terms?

Leg races are every two years.  Mejias won his 1st term in 03 & just won re-election for a 2nd term.  As far as Mejias's future in his leg district with the way tthe GOP has been on Long Island of late (exploding at the seems) he might not have that much to worry about regardless of how GOP the district is.  The popularity of the Dems now doesn't hurt.  He does have a pretty bright future & if he does not get the congressional seat, I would say he would have a decent chance at going for Suozzi's current job (Nassau County Exec) in the 09 races, as Suozzi  is not likely to run again. 

At this point its hard to say what Mejias's chances are, but if he does run, he will be running with more $$$ than King's previous opponents, running with more name regonition & as more popular than King's previous opponents, and while King will probably have more $$ himself this time than other races in the past, King is clearly weaker now than he is in the past & thats something that will continue the more he alligns himself with Bush & the more the Mejias's and the Dems can point that out
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 12:04:03 PM »

Some lady wrote a letter to Newsday today and suggested that Suozzi should run to 'dethrone the King'.

I'm going to write a letter to Suozzi within a month, although it's getting late and its clear that he'd rather sulk about Spitzer's stranglehold on the Governorship than go to Washington.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2005, 02:01:33 AM »

Some lady wrote a letter to Newsday today and suggested that Suozzi should run to 'dethrone the King'.

I'm going to write a letter to Suozzi within a month, although it's getting late and its clear that he'd rather sulk about Spitzer's stranglehold on the Governorship than go to Washington.

I saw that letter & agree with it 100%.  Suozzi is my top choice to run for the seat & no question about it he would dethrone King.  If Suozzi wants the house seat, its his.  He has the $$, has the campaign ability, would get the national $$$ & is FAR FAR more popular than King is here (granted part of the district is in Suffolk, but about 80% is in Nassau, and Suoozzi is very well known in Suffolk as well, especially SW Suffolk.   Only problem is as you mentioned he wants to be Govenor which is a major uphill battle against Spitzer in the primary.

Suozzi clearly has the best chance of winning it (& he would win it) but Mejias I feel does have a decent chance.  Being in Mejias's LD I saw how the GOP tried to throw everything including the kitchen sink (with help from the PBA) at Mejias in an overwelmingly GOP LD, and saw how he handled it with dignity & went onto win. 

If Suozzi runs, King is toast, but even if Suozzi doesn't run & Mejias runs instead, King will be facing BY FAR his toughest opponent, BY FAR his most well  funded opponent, BY FAR his toughest fight, and at a time where his own popularuty is BY FAR at its lowest.   For a long time this seat was safe & the Dems ran a bunch of lowly funded no names, not anymore.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies