NY-03 Nassau Legislator Dave Mejias vs Peter King (link to debate on page 5)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:39:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-03 Nassau Legislator Dave Mejias vs Peter King (link to debate on page 5)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: NY-03 Nassau Legislator Dave Mejias vs Peter King (link to debate on page 5)  (Read 17795 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 01:25:29 AM »

Update

Mejias has not yet made a decision regarding if he is running or not. Recent Newsday article stated he was demurring on it in other words delaying on making a decsion. Meanwhile anotheer Nassau County Legislator is milling a run. Dave Denenberg who represents Nassau County's 19th LD (Merrick area) is seriously considering a run. Like Mejias, Denenberg, would be a much stronger candidate than anyone King has faced recently, with much more name recognition.

POLITICS & POWER
3rd pol mulls King challenge

February 6, 2006

First, former Suffolk Legis. Dave Bishop, now a Babylon town board member, took a poll, and then he took a powder.

Later, Nassau Legis. David Mejias (D-North Massapequa) flew to the Capitol to confer with congressional Democrats, only to demur. Now, Nassau lawmaker David Denenberg says he is "seriously considering" challenging veteran Rep. Peter King (R-Seaford), and is taking the first concrete steps toward mounting a campaign.

Denenberg says he will formally set up a fundraising committee in Washington this week, after meeting last Monday with Democratic congressional officials in New York City. He will do his own poll and give himself about a month to see if he can raise $250,000, the first installment for a $1-million race. Then he'll decide.

"I don't want to run for the sake of running," Denenberg said. "If I decide to run, it will be to win."

There's been a buzz about King's Third District seat since December, when a poll financed by Bishop and congressional Democrats suggested that the 14-year incumbent could be vulnerable - if he's linked to President George W. Bush, whose polls have sagged because of the unpopular Iraq war.

King dismissed the polls, says he'll run on his record and made light of reports that Denenberg has surfaced as his third potential opponent. "I was afraid I was going to have to run unopposed," he said. "It'll teach Denenberg to be the last guy out of the room."

However, Denenberg backers say the Merrick Democrat should not be taken lightly, noting that even after he pleaded guilty to violating election law on petitions, he won his last election with 69 percent of the vote in a district where Republicans outnumber Democrats 3-2.

"He is one of the best retail politicians on the Island," said Jay Jacob, Nassau Democratic chairman. "Dave Denenberg would be the first solid, well-credentialed, well-funded candidate that Peter King ever had to face. He also has his own organization and strong base in the district - something no other Democrat has ever had."

Denenberg estimates he has about 250 volunteers willing to go door-to-door and another 750 to do everything from putting up lawn signs, to making calls or writing letters to friends. Denenberg, who has never raised more than $100,000 for a local campaign, acknowledged that money is his biggest challenge. He has put together a team that includes Gary Weiss, son of fundraiser Mel Weiss, Peter Ruffner, a Steamfitters union official, and Westbury Realtor Jeff Wasserman.

"Dave Denenberg has built a career on ... making political miracles," said Robert Zimmerman, a Democratic national committeeman. "He has the energy and the political skills to do anything he sets his mind to."

But for Denenberg - who has made his career with door-to-door campaigning, a congressional race is a stretch. That's especially true against King, a staunch conservative Republican with blue-collar appeal, in a district that spans from Nassau's Lattington on the North Shore to Long Beach on the South Shore, and east to Great River in Suffolk.

King won his last race with 73 percent and was recently named chairman of the Homeland Security committee, a high-profile post that will only increase his presence on TV news shows. And he already has nearly $1 million on hand for his re-election bid.

Despite King's edge, Denenberg believes there's a looming middle class issue that could bury Republican King - the alternative minimum tax (AMT). That's the levy that was imposed make sure that millionaires paid some income tax. But in recent years, more and more Long Island families, especially those with two incomes, are being socked with an extra tax that, in effect, erases their mortgage and property tax deductions.

"With all their talk of tax cuts, we're really paying more because they are doing away with the classic middle class exemptions," Denenberg said.

King acknowledges that the AMT creates a problem and he backs its repeal. He also said he has supported efforts that have raised the exemption under the law, and wants changes that would index the tax to inflation.

That doesn't satisfy Denenberg. "He's in the majority," he said, "If he agrees with me, why can't he get it done?"

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lipols064616079feb06,0,7837945.column

Should note that their is an error in the article & King won with 63% last time, not 73%
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 03:21:02 AM »

Long shot that anyone else has heard anything snce I'm in the district & haven't heard anything new in a month, but has anyone heard anything new about whats going on with a challenge to King??  Nassau Legislature Dave Mejias and Dave Denenberg have stated they were seriously considering running, but I have heard nothing either way on either of them.  Has anyone heard anything else about either Mejias or Denenberg's possible challenges to King or anyone else for that manner???

Now I think King has made his chances a bit better with his recent strong criticism of the administration on the port deal, but we still need some kind of challenge to him..  Anyone here anything new?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 01:53:52 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2006, 02:03:54 AM by Smash255 »

While King is favored this could be much more interesting than many think it will.  Nassau leg Dave Denenberg D-Merrick will announce he is running against King

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/politics/ny-lipol244715233apr24,0,5017679.column?coll=ny-lipolitics-headlines
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 11:25:32 AM »

i support king

although he is pro-labor and writes really bad novels. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 04:04:40 PM »

Mejias is not running.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2006, 02:50:09 AM »

My district is turning into ring around the rosie when it comes toward a King challenge, but it looks like this one will stick.

First former Suffolk Legis David Bishop (D- Lindenhurst) was considering a run against King, but backed out after a lack of Congressional suport.  Then Nassau  Legis Dave Mejias D-North Massapequa (who is my Legislator) considered a run against King, and he was getting some national Dem support, however Mejias was asked by Nassau Democrats to step aside for another Nassau Legis Dave Denenberg (D-Merrick), who has a bit more political experience than Mejias (Denenberg is in his 4th term in the Nassau legis, Mejias is in his 2nd).  However, two days after making his announcement official Denenberg dropped out citing health reasons (he will undergo a throat operation in the summer and will be unable to speak for about a month or so).  So now its back to Mejias and he has stated he intends to run

For some strange reason I can't bring the article up in Newsday (was in Sat May 20th's paper), but since I have the paper right in front of me, here is a quote from Mejias.

"Over the Next few Months I will talk about the record Peter King does not want Long Island to know about"  "Clearly the Washington Politicans have America on the wrong track.  I'm looking foward to offering the voters a chance to change that"

According to the article Rahm Emanuel said that the DCCC supports Mejias.  The article also mentions that DCCC staffers will meet with Mejias on Monday and an official announcement is likley to be made next week.

With the revolving door, the late entry, and King's $$ it won't be easy to knock off King.  the district is also Long Island's most republican district.  Bush won it by 4.7% in 04 (though that was due to 9/11, Gore won by 13 in 2000, though its about 8.5 or 9 point Gore victory under the current lines.  The GOP has registration advantage in the district, but Republicans on Long Island are much more likley to cross partylines than Democrats are and Independents lean Democratic when voting, especially in national races.  Also the area as a whole is trending Democratic, and despite winning  the district in 04 (again due to 9/11 bounce) Bush is extremely unpopular here.  Other than an issue here or there King has been extremely close to Bush, and despite the GOP registration advantage (which means very little) he is WELL to the right of the district as a whole.  Mejias is also BY FAR King toughest challenge, his most well known opponent than he has faced, as well as the strongest.  You also have the top of the ticket factor with Spitzer & Clinton winning by very large margins.  Despite more than likely having more funding than any of King's previous opponents, King should have a $$ advanatge.  King is the clear favorite at this point, even my partisan ass will admit that, and is a bit off the radar to many, but this race could be quite interesting and should be something to watch.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2006, 02:47:38 AM »

Mejias has updated his website

www.davemejias.com
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 12:04:21 AM »

The cuts in Homeland Security issue for NYC is begining to pick up again after the PATH train news.  Dave Mejias has ripped into King for voting for a 15% cut in funding for Homeland Security and for letting the cuts happen on his watch as Chairman of Homeland Security  House Panel

http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/stories/ny-usterr104812737jul10,0,4452033.story

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2006, 11:55:50 PM »

Dave Mejias D-North Massapequa, from Nassau's 14th LD (also my legislative district) has been hitting King hard on the Homeland Security cuts to NY, slamming King on his votes to cut homeland security.  Which has weakened any leverage his chairmanship has gotten him.  But something to really watch is Embryonic Stem Cell Reserarch.  With the Senate poised to pass the bill with 60+ votes tomorrow and Bush's likley veto, this bill is likely to go back to the house to override the veto (which it will probably fail).  King voted against limiting the restrictions last time around and is likely to do so again.  The district is socially liberal and very strongly supports limiting the restrictions and Mejias is likely to hit King very hard on this issue, and its an issue where King is against the vast majority of the district.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2006, 03:51:18 AM »

Mejias raises over $200,000 in under 2 months, though he still trails King by alot.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usfund184821051jul18,0,2295051.story?coll=ny-uspolitics-headlines

King's comments about being outspent seem a littlee strange, unless if he is referring to his first couple elctions.  According to the FEC

King outspent his 2000 opponent Dal Lamnga by more than a 3-2 margin $455,110 to a $286,966.  His 02 opponent Stuart finz by almost a 3-1 margin $468,474 to $137,472.  And his 04 opponent Blair Mathies by about a 3-1 margin as well $610,412 to $219,347

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2006, 02:48:42 AM »

dave Mejias's new site is up and running.  The site isn't complete yet as updates are coming, but looks good

www.daveforamerica.com
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2006, 01:30:44 AM »

Cook political report moves this race from solid GOP to likely GOP

http://www.cookpolitical.com/default.php
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2006, 12:48:17 AM »

While the AFL-CIO usually endorses Democrats anyway, Peter King has been one of the few Repuublicans they have traditionally endorsed, endorsing King in each of his last 4 election bids.  This time around they are endorsing Dave Mejias.  Also Stuart Rothenberg of the Rothenberg reported looks like he will put this race into the 50 races to watch category

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/politics/ny-usmeji164853040aug16,0,4057635.story
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2006, 08:58:29 AM »

And you call me optismistic about Kean?

You have about as good a chance of knocking off King as my district does of knocking out Rothman and that percentage is 0, and we have a decorated veteran running!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2006, 03:56:33 AM »

And you call me optismistic about Kean?

You have about as good a chance of knocking off King as my district does of knocking out Rothman and that percentage is 0, and we have a decorated veteran running!

The difference is you have predicted a Kean victory.  I never said Mejias will win.  Of course King is likely to win.  However, Mejias is BY far his strongest challenge, he is my legislator, I absolutley can't stand King and its my district.  It will be BY FAR the most comptitive race King has been in, since his 1st bid in 92.  As a result I decided to update what is going on in the district and how the race is shaping up.  Again unlike what you have done with Kean, I never said or predicted a Mejias victory.

BTW the Chuck Todd @ the  National Journal has put this race in its top 50, ranking at 45.

http://nationaljournal.com/racerankings/house/

I agree, King is the heavy favorite no question, but this won't be the cakewalk he has had in the past.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2006, 04:16:01 AM »

Just checking...
2004 171K - 101K
Rep/Con/Independence vs Democrat

2002 120K - 46K - 2K
Rep/Con/Independence/RtL vs Democrat vs Liberal

2000 142K - 96K - 2K
Rep/Con/Independence/RtL vs Democrat/Green/Working Families vs Libertarian

1998 117K - 64K - 1K
Rep/Con/RtL vs Democrat vs Liberal

1996 128K - 97K - 4K - 2K
Rep/Con/Freedom vs Democrat/Independence vs RtL vs Liberal

1994 115K - 78K - 2K
Rep/Con vs Democrat vs Liberal

1992 125K - 117K - 7K - 3K
Rep/Con vs Democrat vs RtL vs Liberal

Toughest opponent since 1996 at the least. Perhaps since 1992.

socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2006, 09:05:42 PM »

Who will get the Independant party line?

What about in the other close NY races like NY-24 and NY-20?

If Arcuri or Gillibriand get the line, they could be in good shape...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2006, 12:33:28 AM »

According to dcpoliticalreport.com  Arcuri has the line, but Sweeney & King do also
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2006, 07:13:42 AM »

According to dcpoliticalreport.com  Arcuri has the line, but Sweeney & King do also

Oh good, Arcuri is going to need every advantage in what should be a nail biter.  I suppose the Independance Party line tends to favor incumbents, eh?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2006, 04:51:59 PM »

Does it mean anything when the Incumbent starts off with negative & divisive campaigning?  & MASS HYPOCROCY

Back in NJune habeeb Ahmed an influential Muslim leader on Long island and prresident of its biggest mosque in Westbury donated $200 to Dave Mejias.  mejias has also had contibutions from a few other Muslim leaders on Long Island.  last week the Post ran an op-ed piece denouncing the donations, and saying that they were basically extremeists something King stated also.  He sent out letters to Jewish voters with the Post piece attached to it, to basiclally stir up controversey.  King stated it was because they haven't condemened the 9/11 attacks (which is false) and said they were a bunch of extremeists.   An Ex leader as the Mosque has made some controversial comments abot Jews and 9/11, but King decided to try to link that guy who no longer is at the mosque to the others, who have denounced such talk, denounced the attacks, and said Al Qaeda was behind 9/11.  And well here is where the Hypocrocy really kicks in.  Ahmed (the guy who gave Mejias the $200 in which King was complaining about) gace King 4500 last December and headed a luncheon than banked over $5,000 for the King camapign.

So basically King lambasted Mejias for taking $$ from a Muslim donor who once worked with a controversial man, when King himself not only took $$$ from the same guy as well, but took THOUSANDS more than Mejias.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-liking0920,0,1190172.story?coll=ny-linews-headlines
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2006, 01:51:44 AM »

This race has been added to the DCCC emerging races list and will get national fundraising & aid

http://www.dccc.org/stakeholder/archives/005297.html
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2006, 02:05:15 AM »

Didn't even see his article when I read the paper.  An editorial in Newsday slamming King for his attempt to linK mejias to Muslim Extremists.

http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-bottom4899765sep21,0,6106365.story?coll=ny-editorials-headlines
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2006, 10:26:27 PM »

1st campaign ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVVVpB9odPw&eurl=
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2006, 11:28:10 PM »

CQ Politics has now switched this race from Safe GOp to republican favored

http://www.cqpolitics.com/2006/09/kings_bid_for_an_eighth_term_i.html
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2006, 11:30:38 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2006, 11:32:42 PM by Smash255 »

CQ politics also has an interview with mejias

cont
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies