Constitutional Amendment (The Right To Life Amendment)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 04:25:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Constitutional Amendment (The Right To Life Amendment)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Constitutional Amendment (The Right To Life Amendment)  (Read 3331 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2005, 09:54:44 AM »

As introduced by Senators PBrunsel and Ebowed...

The Right to Life Amendment
The following shall be added to Article VI of the Constitution as Clause 16:

16. No Atlasian person may be deprived of their right to life under the uses of abortion, euthanasia, or capital punishment.

A. The practices of abortion, euthanasia, and capital punishment will be completely outlawed by the Government of Atlasia.

B. The definitions of the terms in Clause B are as follows:
Abortion:  The termination of pregnancy and expulsion of an embryo or of a fetus that is incapable of survival.
Euthanasia:  The act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment, also referred to in this law as "assisted suicide."
Capital Punishment:  The penalty of death for the commission of a crime.

C.  Any person who violates this law by administering an abortion or an assisted suicide shall be sentenced to twenty-five years in prison; if the law is violated a second time they shall be sentenced to life inprisonment without the possibility of parole.

D.  Any regional government that continues to execute convicted criminals following the ratification of this law shall have all federal funding for roads and highways rebuked.

E.  All criminals currently sentenced to death in Atlasia are commuted to life inprisonment without the possibility of parole following the ratification of this amendment.

F.  This law will be administered by the Office of the Attorney General.

G.  This law will take effect upon its ratification by the regions.

I hereby open debate on this proposed Amendment. And do play nice...
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 10:22:14 AM »

I'm not sure if I'd support this anyway (it's federal infringment on states issues), but I propose the following amendment:

The Right to Life Amendment
The following shall be added to Article VI of the Constitution as Clause 16:

16. No Atlasian person may be deprived of their right to life under the uses of abortion or euthanasia.

A. The practices of abortion and euthanasia will be completely outlawed by the Government of Atlasia.

B. The definitions of the terms in Clause B are as follows:
Abortion:  The termination of pregnancy and expulsion of an embryo or of a fetus that is incapable of survival, except when the life of the mother in question is in danger.
Euthanasia:  The act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment, also referred to in this law as "assisted suicide."

C.  Any person who violates this law by administering an abortion or an assisted suicide shall be sentenced to twenty-five years in prison; if the law is violated a second time they shall be sentenced to life inprisonment without the possibility of parole.

D.  This law will be administered by the Office of the Attorney General.

E.  This law will take effect upon its ratification by the regions.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 10:28:05 AM »

I urged the Senate to fight against this amendement as it is the will of Ebowed and PBrunsel alone, not the will of Atlasian citizens.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 11:28:36 AM »

I strongly urge the Senate to reject this amendment.

Firstly, this amendment is contrary to the principles of federalism. There is a reason for which we have both federal and regional governments, rather than a unitary national government. Regions are not mere subsidiaries of the federal government: the Constitution should not dictate regional policy. There is simply no need to federalize these issues.

Secondly, this amendment violates the principles underlying our Constitution. The Constitution is supposed to provide for the framework and limitations of government. It is not meant to be a legal code regulating private behavior. It is unprecedented for a constitutional amendment to establish specific punishments: normally, penalties are established by statute.

Thirdly, the amendment (Clause D in particular) is too rigid. "Any person" who performs an abortion or assists someone in committing suicide will be sentenced to twenty-five years imprisonment--no less, no more. But will a young teenage girl who has just been raped, and who obtains an abortion, be sentenced to twenty-five years imprisonment? Will a mentally retarded person who assists someone in committing suicide be sentenced to twenty-five years imprisonment? Clause D is so harsh and inflexible that it warrants the rejection of the whole amendment.

Fourthly, and most importantly, this amendment is a violation of personal liberty. Why should someone not be allowed to terminate his own life? Someone in extreme pain might not want to live any longer: who are we to instruct him that he may not be euthanized?

I respectfully suggest that this amendment should be rejected in its entirety.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 12:28:32 PM »

I urged the Senate to fight against this amendement as it is the will of Ebowed and PBrunsel alone, not the will of Atlasian citizens.

All bills are the will of whomever proposed them Tongue

Still, I think this should be rejected on the basis of not letting the Federal Government grow too large.  I have, however, proposed the same ban on the regional level, and hope others will do the same.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 12:45:34 PM »

Point of order. Mr. President, for now on can we make it a rule that when one offers an amendment he can put the added text in bold or something? I think that would make it easier.

I obviously oppose this bill to the fullest.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 01:55:04 PM »

I motion to remove MAS from the Senate chambers for using fake procedure.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 01:56:30 PM »

See Legislation Introduction Thread.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 02:20:41 PM »

Your introducing a resolution does not make it instantly take affect.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 02:22:12 PM »

It's also horrible and there's no need for it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 02:28:24 PM »

I fully agree Masterjedi.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 02:29:08 PM »

I realize that, its just a reference, I deleted my previous comment.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 03:05:40 PM »

Table motions have been used in the past.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 03:18:42 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2005, 03:23:01 PM by Porce »

Just because you're not opposed to abortion doesn't mean that the entire country agrees with you!  It's quite possible that a majority of the country agrees, but to act as if we are just imposing our will on everyone is absurd.  Now, let's pretend that you actually have a logical approach to the abortion issue.  What if it were the will of everyone except afleitch to have abortions illegal?  Would that suddenly make it fine and dandy for the Senate to ban abortions?  That's what it looks like, if I'm reading your post right.

That said, Brandon H brought up a good point about this amendment looking more like a statute than a constitutional amendment.  I may craft some revisions.  I oppose DanielX's amendment, for the record.

Secondly, this amendment violates the principles underlying our Constitution. The Constitution is supposed to provide for the framework and limitations of government. It is not meant to be a legal code regulating private behavior. It is unprecedented for a constitutional amendment to establish specific punishments: normally, penalties are established by statute.

As stated above, I hope to fix this via amendment.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 03:36:16 PM »

For anyone who has not seen my comments on the thread entitled Right to Life Amendment Poll:
There are a few things that I disagree with in this Amendment, but I would probably vote to support it as I agree with the intended result.

Not only is this federal law, but this is a federal constitutional amendment. The purpose of the Constitution should be to grant (or deny) rights and powers to Atlasian's citizens and branches of government.

At this point I realize rewriting this is probably out of the question. But in my opinion, a better text would be something along the lines of saying "No person shall be deprived of life from conception until natural death." While abortion should definitely be a crime and euthanasia probably should be a crime, (I say probably because I can see how doing so could be a violation personal liberty unlike abortion.) criminalizing and penalizing an action should be statute and not an Amendment.

Since the Death Penalty is something carried out by the government and not citizens, a Constitutional Amendment would be appropriate to grant all citizens the right not to be executed by the government (which I believe my wording above would include) or to take the rights away from the regions to executive criminals. However, once again, the penalty if the regions were to executive someone should be statute and not part of the Amendment.

This is similar to the discussion related to the secret ballot amendment that once the amendment passes, statute is still needed for the amendment to have any actual affect.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 04:15:20 PM »

I want to protect innocent lives, that is why I introduced this amendment. If you have any objection to protecting inncoent lives simply inform me.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 04:31:25 PM »

It is my will to see this amendment passed. There are certainly some qualms I have about this amendment (I am now in favor of the death penalty), but in any situation it is always best to err on the side of life rather than death.

As for the federalism objection, I certainly agree that federalism should be preserved to the farthest extent possible. However, I refuse to believe that federalism is so sacred as to trump life.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 04:35:02 PM »

It is my will to see this amendment passed. There are certainly some qualms I have about this amendment (I am now in favor of the death penalty), but in any situation it is always best to err on the side of life rather than death.

As for the federalism objection, I certainly agree that federalism should be preserved to the farthest extent possible. However, I refuse to believe that federalism is so sacred as to trump life.

I wouldn't really worry too much about what afleitch said - clearly he thinks that opinions are only with merit if the majority holds them.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2005, 06:03:49 PM »

This would be more palatable to me if it was split into 3 different bills.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2005, 06:10:17 PM »

I wouldn't really worry too much about what afleitch said - clearly he thinks that opinions are only with merit if the majority holds them.

Not at all. I am just very pro-choice and my convictions are just as strong as the oppositions. There should not be one inclusive bill. I agree with TexasGurl there should be three (for example I support abolishing the death penality)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 06:11:52 PM »

Your statement that this amendment is only "the will of Ebowed and PBrunsel" and "not the will of the Atlasian people" implies that you would not have a problem with this amendment if the majority of Atlasians supported illegalizing abortion.

That said, I'm not opposed in breaking the amendment up into three parts, especially as it may give each of the causes more likelihood of passing.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 06:12:24 PM »

This would be more palatable to me if it was split into 3 different bills.

O.K. i'll do that. Then they'll get hacked up and amended so much they do not do anything except give harsh words, then it'll fail because of some argument about federalism.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2005, 06:15:01 PM »

afleitch, if it were not the will of the people, it won't survive the ratification process.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2005, 06:17:02 PM »

Firstly, this amendment is contrary to the principles of federalism. There is a reason for which we have both federal and regional governments, rather than a unitary national government. Regions are not mere subsidiaries of the federal government: the Constitution should not dictate regional policy. There is simply no need to federalize these issues.

Yes, there is.  The Constitution is there to protect the basic rights of the people and dictate how the federal government will function, is it not?  If this document is intended to protect basic rights, then certainly one of these basic rights is the right to life.  Our view is that abortion violates this right; as such, a constitutional amendment is entirely appropriate.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2005, 06:18:56 PM »

It is a pointless piece of legislation. You can actively oppose any of these things without banning them. Such an amendment would only serve to silence the pro-choice voice.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies