Roe v. Wade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:29:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Roe v. Wade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Would you support the overturning of Roe v. Wade by the Supreme Court?
Democrat -Yes

Democrat -No

Republican -Yes

Republican -No

independent/third party -Yes

independent/third party -No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Roe v. Wade  (Read 5208 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 04:39:22 PM »

Pro-lifers are the minority in this country. Their numbers are often overestimated because they are extremely voca about their opposition to legal abortion.

Not to mention their frequent acts of terrorism, Scoonie.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2005, 04:54:07 PM »

The one that listed the options, pro-choice and pro-life? Yeah, that was trash and you know it.

Nah, here's one:

6. Would you like to see the United States Supreme Court overturn Roe v. Wade?

Yes 36%
No 54%

http://www.strategicvision.biz/political/pa_poll_1116.htm

Spin that!  Choices unfair?  Misleading?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2005, 04:56:06 PM »

Let's see a poll asking about specific bans on abortion.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2005, 04:58:25 PM »

The one that listed the options, pro-choice and pro-life? Yeah, that was trash and you know it.

Nah, here's one:

Yes 36%
No 54%

I don't think that most Americans know exactly what the Supreme Court actually decided in Roe.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2005, 04:59:07 PM »

You fail yet again to address my point about underepresentation and gerrymandering, but I know you're a partisan hack and jackass so you will continue to act like a 5 year old and say Rick Santorum represents your common Pennsylvanian.

So because Utah and Louisiana are Pro Life here, that means it's accurate? Address my point about North and South Dakota. I think they even had Kansas and Nebraska as Pro Choice states!

Blaming every single thing on "Johnny"mandering is not really a point. Rick Santorum does represent your average Pennsylvanian and you had to turn to someone who is most like him and a fellow Pro Lifer to have a real shot at winning his Senate seat.

Note to everyone that Flyers started making this a Santorum fight, not me.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2005, 05:02:07 PM »

Nah, here's one:

Yes 36%
No 54%

I don't think that most Americans know exactly what the Supreme Court actually decided in Roe.

Hardly the point.  Most Americans support the decision, based upon their knowledge of the situation.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2005, 05:03:11 PM »

Which tells you nothing about how pro-life or pro-choice the state is, in order to contrast it with the legislature.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2005, 05:05:15 PM »

Which tells you nothing about how pro-life or pro-choice the state is, in order to contrast it with the legislature.

So what would be the magical question to ask to figure out how 'pro-life' or 'pro-choice' the state is?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2005, 05:07:31 PM »

Asking about specific bans on abortion. You know, like I said five minutes ago.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2005, 05:07:48 PM »

So what would be the magical question to ask to figure out how 'pro-life' or 'pro-choice' the state is?
There isn't a magical question, because the issue is so complex. One would have to ask separately about abortion in rape cases, abortion to save the mother's life/health, abortion in the first trimester, abortion in the second trimester, etc. Pigeonholing individuals into "pro-choice" and "pro-life" categories is not feasible.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 05:07:54 PM »

Nah, here's one:

Yes 36%
No 54%

Hardly the point.  Most Americans support the decision, based upon their knowledge of the situation.

Most people probably think that overturning Roe vs. Wade would automatically make abortion illegal.  What that poll really means is that a majority of people don't want abortion illegalized.  At the same time, a majority doesn't want unrestricted abortion.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2005, 05:08:54 PM »

I don't know of any such polls that have been done.

But most likely the majority would support legal abortions in the first trimester and later-term abortion bans.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2005, 05:10:58 PM »

I don't know of any such polls that have been done.

But most likely the majority would support legal abortions in the first trimester and later-term abortion bans.

Yes, I think you're right.  That's the real middle ground on abortion that Roe prevents from coalescing through its erroneous declaration of abortion as a constitutional right.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2005, 05:21:30 PM »

lots of people don't really know what Roe does, at work we discussed it and almost everyone overturning it  banned abortion. Several of them would support regulating abortion at the state level (almost all of them democrats)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2005, 06:51:19 PM »

You fail yet again to address my point about underepresentation and gerrymandering, but I know you're a partisan hack and jackass so you will continue to act like a 5 year old and say Rick Santorum represents your common Pennsylvanian.

So because Utah and Louisiana are Pro Life here, that means it's accurate? Address my point about North and South Dakota. I think they even had Kansas and Nebraska as Pro Choice states!

Blaming every single thing on "Johnny"mandering is not really a point. Rick Santorum does represent your average Pennsylvanian and you had to turn to someone who is most like him and a fellow Pro Lifer to have a real shot at winning his Senate seat.

Note to everyone that Flyers started making this a Santorum fight, not me.

Well the Dakotas have a pretty Democratic delegation to Congress and are more or less libertarian in ideology as are most of the High Plains.  Most of the Southern states polled were pretty much even or slightly pro-life.  This concept of "leave it to the states" is a tired excuse pro-lifers use and Pennsylvania is the pinnacle example of how an out of touch legislature can screw it up for us.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2005, 07:00:36 PM »

By this logic, legislatures, including the US House, shouldn't have control over anything.  It should all go to the Supreme Court, which clearly represents the will of the people better than a recently elected legislature.  Same would be true of the US Senate, since it doesn't have proportional representation.  That must be unconstitutional -- except for the fact that the constitution explicitly sets up the Senate.

Pretty much.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2005, 07:07:59 PM »

You are fond of exxageration, huh? Santorum and Casey are alike in that they're both pro-life, but the similarities beyond that are almost nonexistent. They are polar opposities on economic issues, as well as quite a few other social issues.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2005, 07:53:38 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2005, 09:20:25 PM by Frodo »

In the context of the question, I am asking whether you would have the issue of abortion 'rights' removed from the courts and given back to the state legislatures to decide the issue as they see fit.  That's what I mean by 'overturning' Roe v. Wade. 

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2005, 08:05:21 PM »

Well the Dakotas have a pretty Democratic delegation to Congress and are more or less libertarian in ideology as are most of the High Plains.  Most of the Southern states polled were pretty much even or slightly pro-life.  This concept of "leave it to the states" is a tired excuse pro-lifers use and Pennsylvania is the pinnacle example of how an out of touch legislature can screw it up for us.

Flyers, if the Pennsylvania legislature is so out of touch, why should it be deciding anything?  Why should abortion be the only issue taken away from it?  Why not take away all issues from this legislature?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2005, 08:15:00 PM »

Flyers, if the Pennsylvania legislature is so out of touch, why should it be deciding anything?  Why should abortion be the only issue taken away from it?  Why not take away all issues from this legislature?

If Roe were overturned there would be an outright war in this state and it wouldn't be pretty.  Philadelphia, Montgomery, Bucks, etc. would be fuming if abortion were otulawed and dare I say there would be the possibility of secession.  PA 6 and 8 would definitely now go to the Democrats and likely a few more State House seats.   
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2005, 08:20:09 PM »

If Roe were overturned there would be an outright war in this state and it wouldn't be pretty.  Philadelphia, Montgomery, Bucks, etc. would be fuming if abortion were otulawed and dare I say there would be the possibility of secession.  PA 6 and 8 would definitely now go to the Democrats and likely a few more State House seats.   

So you're saying that the courts should deal with legislative issues because the political process can't handle those issues?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2005, 08:20:58 PM »

Another thing the Supreme Court could potentially do is hand out a ruling that is the inverse of Roe v. Wade; that is, rule all state laws that allow abortions unconstitutional by deeming them murder.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2005, 08:29:26 PM »

So you're saying that the courts should deal with legislative issues because the political process can't handle those issues?

Apparently not in Pennsylvania.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2005, 08:45:20 PM »

Another thing the Supreme Court could potentially do is hand out a ruling that is the inverse of Roe v. Wade; that is, rule all state laws that allow abortions unconstitutional by deeming them murder.
Legalizing murder is not unconstitutional. As long as the murder is being committed by private parties, without the involvement of the state, no constitutional problem arises.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2005, 08:50:47 PM »

Legalizing murder is not unconstitutional. As long as the murder is being committed by private parties, without the involvement of the state, no constitutional problem arises.

Yes, by your interpretation.  The SCOTUS' interpretation might be very different based on their personal feelings on the issue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies