Roe v. Wade (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:51:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Roe v. Wade (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you support the overturning of Roe v. Wade by the Supreme Court?
Democrat -Yes

Democrat -No

Republican -Yes

Republican -No

independent/third party -Yes

independent/third party -No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Roe v. Wade  (Read 5288 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 18, 2005, 10:06:51 PM »

I don't know if a poll like this has been done before (and if it has, I will delete this promptly), but in case it hasn't.......
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 10:23:46 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2005, 10:25:17 PM by Frodo »

Yes.  I think the ruling has distorted our political process for 33 years, and is a particularly egregious example of judicial activism, and has had no end of ill effects for our form of government.

The issue should be turned over to the state legislatures, where it should have been left in the first place.  And you know what will change effectively -- nothing.  The state legislatures, on balance, will vote to keep early term abortions legal and place restrictions on late term abortions.  That is what the American people want.  Those who oppose this should lobby legislators for change, not courts.  The states that would put more restrictive bans on abortion effectively offer little access to abortion at this point anyway, so there's no real change there.

My opinion exactly -though it would shift the Democratic Party even further to the left with multitudes of younger newly-initiated feminists dominating the primaries and making abortion even more of a litmus test than it already is. 

Still, for the sake of this nation, I guess it's worth the price. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 07:53:38 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2005, 09:20:25 PM by Frodo »

In the context of the question, I am asking whether you would have the issue of abortion 'rights' removed from the courts and given back to the state legislatures to decide the issue as they see fit.  That's what I mean by 'overturning' Roe v. Wade. 

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 09:39:43 PM »

Judging by the results on these and other polls, I can see why other more liberal Democrats would wonder whether -given my moderately conservative disposition on cultural issues and my hawkish stance on foreign policy- I am even in the right party....  Tongue
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 09:59:41 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2005, 10:03:12 AM by Frodo »

In the context of the question, I am asking whether you would have the issue of abortion 'rights' removed from the courts and given back to the state legislatures to decide the issue as they see fit.  That's what I mean by 'overturning' Roe v. Wade. 

That#s not a question that is at all related to Roe vs Wade.

Can you elaborate as how and why you think it is not related in any way to the decision?  Any overturning of Roe vs. Wade will simply defederalize this issue and return it back to the states, as was the case prior to the decision. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies