Democrats only
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:29:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Democrats only
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should the issue of abortion be decided by the Supreme Court, or by state legislatures?
The Supreme Court

State legislatures

I am not a Democrat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Democrats only  (Read 3314 times)
Inverted Things
Avelaval

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 11:14:51 AM »

State legislatures. No reason for it to be a federal issue.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2005, 11:17:07 AM »

If it's not the same in all states, then you have a disparity of rights.  Mississippi would certainly ban abortion, and though our few rich women could travel to wherever abortion was legal, our poor women would not have that same opportunity.  Come to think of it, that'd mean more Democratic voters 20 years down the road...
No, there'd just be more illegal abortions, which means fewer democrats right now because some of these women will die and others end up in prison (though not for murder - I doubt that would happen even in Misssisssipppi)
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2005, 02:53:33 PM »

since when is abortion on demand a constitutional right?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2005, 03:07:15 PM »

It is certainly not a constitutional right. However, it is a right nonetheless.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2005, 04:19:44 PM »

Since 1973, dumbass.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2005, 09:11:45 PM »

Roe V. Wade needs to go. At this point, it's the only thing keeping the Republicans in power. An outrageous number of people who vote Republican only do so because they are anti-abortion.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2005, 09:39:07 PM »

Overturning Roe would help, not hurt, the Republican Party.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2005, 10:24:45 PM »

Why are national legislatures or constitutional amendments not an option? Because conservative pseudo-libertarians see everything as a titanic struggle between federalist originalism and the giant evil leviathan.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2005, 11:58:28 PM »

State legislatures, obviously.  Though if someone wants to try and pass a constitutional amendment on this subject, I'm game to hearing its wording, though I doubt it'll pass.

If it's not the same in all states, then you have a disparity of rights.  Mississippi would certainly ban abortion, and though our few rich women could travel to wherever abortion was legal, our poor women would not have that same opportunity.  Come to think of it, that'd mean more Democratic voters 20 years down the road...

Mississippi has already pretty much banned abortion anyway by chipping away at various rules and regulations in the state legislature and by the natural public opposition to abortion in the populace.

Last time I heard, there was only one abortion clinic left in the state, a publicly funded one in Jackson.  The rest, public and private, had been put out of business.  That one may have closed down as well, though I hadn't heard it as of yet.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2005, 01:43:55 PM »

How? They would lose many of the social conservatives who only vote because of this issue.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2005, 03:42:22 PM »

How? They would lose many of the social conservatives who only vote because of this issue.

Abortion would not become illegal just because Roe is overturned. It would stop being a judicial issue, but continue to be a political issue. Thus, abortion would still be an important part of the political process.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2005, 12:41:46 AM »

The second Roe is overturned, abortion would be made illegal by legislatures in at least 25 states.  Republicans would be crippled in many of these states as a result.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2005, 12:50:46 AM »
« Edited: December 26, 2005, 03:03:39 PM by Harry »

Last time I heard, there was only one abortion clinic left in the state, a publicly funded one in Jackson.  The rest, public and private, had been put out of business.  That one may have closed down as well, though I hadn't heard it as of yet.
It's still there....people used to protest outside it a lot, but I haven't seen to much of it lately.  Actually, I can't say for certain that it's still open.  Anyhow, I feel like abortion should either be legal everywhere or legal nowhere.  Allowing it in New York but not in Mississippi is ridiculous, because it gives the right to any rich person, but only certain poor people.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2005, 02:04:01 AM »

I lean towards legislatures.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2005, 06:22:47 AM »

It's still there....people used to protest outside it a lot, but I haven't seen to much of it lately.  Actually, I can't say for certain that it's still open.  Anyhow, I feel like abortion should either be legal everywhere or legal nowhere.  Allowing it in New York but not in Mississippi is ridiculous, because it gives the right to any rich person, but only certain poor people.

Sam Spade, the existence of other, more enlightened nations means that abortion will always be available to the rich.  In fact, even if the practice were made illegal worldwide, the very rich could have their private doctors perform it if necessary. 

The situation would be not unlike the current situation with the banned victimless 'crime' of prostitution - the procedure is still available to nearly everyone, but is very difficult to find, highly overpriced, and, for the masses, done in an unecessarily dangerous fashion.  The rich are able to purchase a service nearly as good as that as would be available were the practice legal, but at a great price.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies