Conservative political correctness
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:03:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Conservative political correctness
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Your opinion of this
postive

negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Conservative political correctness  (Read 2336 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2005, 02:35:35 PM »
« edited: December 20, 2005, 02:44:11 PM by Left of the Dial »

I was just thinking about this. I wonder what you all think of it. Examples found in society, this forum or both include:

-Complains about portrayal of men in advertisements as incompetant buffoons who need their enlightened wives to set them straight
-Portrayal in the media of southernors as racist or as backward hicks
-Portrayal of "red staters" in the same way or an unintelligent and unenlightened compared to blue staters
-The opposition to the "Jesusland' map
-The judge who was forced to apologize for her "no red states" comment
-The fundies who whine about Halloween celebrations in schools
-Catholic groups complaining about the movie Dogma
-Complaining about any portrayl in the media of priests as pedophiles (if you remember I once had some posts of mine deleted for containing jokes claiming all priests molest children)
-Fundie groups whining about the portrayal of Jesus and God in Family Guy
-Fundie groups whining about the portrayal of Jesus and Satan in South Park
-Fundie groups whining about the portrayal of fundies in movies like "Saved!"
-Conservatives attacking Marilyn Manson and trying to ban him from playing in local areas due to things such as wiping the American flag beneath him to simulate toilet paper and tearing up Bibles on stage
-Complaints about Michael Moore's portrayal of Republicans in Fahrenheit 9/11
-Complaints about the title of Michael Moore's book Stupid White Men
-Complaints about Dean's comment about the GOP being a "white Christian party"
-Complaints about positive portrayals of sex or drug use in the media
-Complaints about games like Grand Theft Auto which supposedly glorify crime and involve killing cops
-Complaints about movies and TV shows that portray the military in a negative light
-Attacking leftists who claim that all Shiites in Iraq support Iran
-Attacking leftists who argue that Iraqi democracy is doomed to fail because Islam and democracy can not co-exist
-Complaints about the media portraying Mormons in a negative light
-Attacks on leftists mocking Reagan for his Alzheimer's
-Attacks on claims that suburbs are all boring, lily-white cookie cutter sterile and boring places to live and that all suburbanites are generic couples with 2.5 children and completely boring
-Bush calling Islam a "religion of peace"
-Calls for affirmative action for conservatives in universities and complaints about professors pushing liberal political views
-Objection to the term "Uncle Tom"
-Calling attacks on people like Condi Rice "racist"
-Complaints about positive portrayals of Che Guevara
-Attacking leftists for making fun of Katherine Harris' makeup and the news media for editing photos of her to make it appear as if she was wearing more, or for making jokes about Ann Coulter being a transsexual.
-Complaints about opebo's comments about religion
-J. J.'s comment to me here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=31353.msg705359#msg705359

If you got any other examples, please share.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 02:41:41 PM »

We should aim for the truth.  If something is true, it's not wrong to say it.

Political correctness is the denial or distortion of truth in order to further a political agenda.

There is nothing wrong with presenting and attempting to sell any political agenda to people as long as you stick to the truth, and there's nothing wrong with fighting back against claims that aren't true.  That applies to conservatives and liberals.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 02:43:28 PM »

We should aim for the truth.  If something is true, it's not wrong to say it.

Political correctness is the denial or distortion of truth in order to further a political agenda.

There is nothing wrong with presenting and attempting to sell any political agenda to people as long as you stick to the truth, and there's nothing wrong with fighting back against claims that aren't true.  That applies to conservatives and liberals.

So you think all the listed above examples are stupid? That's funny since you've attacked Democrats who've made derogatory comments about Southernors and "red staters" and Dean's "white Christian party" comment. Oh, and let's not get started on what you've said to me about my comments on suburbs...
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 02:45:12 PM »

We should aim for the truth.  If something is true, it's not wrong to say it.

There is nothing wrong with presenting and attempting to sell any political agenda to people as long as you stick to the truth, and there's nothing wrong with fighting back against claims that aren't true.  That applies to conservatives and liberals.

So you think all the listed above examples are stupid? That's funny since you've attacked Democrats who've made derogatory comments about Southernors and "red staters"

No, I don't think all the examples are stupid.  I think some of them point out the hypocrisy of left-wing political correctness, which does not practice what it preaches.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 03:21:43 PM »

brtd, everything you mentioned is a complaint- some people call and complain, maybe even picket for a while or organize a little boycott.  These actions have not really changed the political discourse or the stopped the steady decline into cultural vulgarity.

The type of political correctness that gets people angry- both conservative and liberal- is to make certain types of speech off limits.  The indoctrination has begun in earnest in the classroom.  I remenber a sexual harssment suit from like the 2nd grade a while back.  Further, you can get fired and disciplined for some of the most innocuous commments because someone was offended.  Who can forget the DC teacher who was fired for using the perfectly correct word ndly?  It is the endless sensivity training seminars and the fear of job reprisal where the anger with the more sinister elements of political correctness lies.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 03:31:08 PM »

brtd, everything you mentioned is a complaint- some people call and complain, maybe even picket for a while or organize a little boycott.  These actions have not really changed the political discourse or the stopped the steady decline into cultural vulgarity.

The type of political correctness that gets people angry- both conservative and liberal- is to make certain types of speech off limits.  The indoctrination has begun in earnest in the classroom.  I remenber a sexual harssment suit from like the 2nd grade a while back.  Further, you can get fired and disciplined for some of the most innocuous commments because someone was offended.  Who can forget the DC teacher who was fired for using the perfectly correct word ndly?  It is the endless sensivity training seminars and the fear of job reprisal where the anger with the more sinister elements of political correctness lies.

Thanks patrick.  This is exactly what I have been saying, but it is falling on deaf ears with those who either defend left-wing poltical correctness, or erroneously minimize it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 05:22:11 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2005, 08:19:42 AM by Yarmulke »

The differnce is that there is a double standard. The media can say whatever they want about wasps but I can't go tell a democrat to knock the teeth out of their mouth.

Thats a good one, Browneye!  You impotent Righties do seem to fear bamboo.

Regarding BRTD's list:

-Complains about portrayal of men in advertisements as incompetant buffoons who need their enlightened wives to set them straight

Well, any man who would get married is a buffoon.

-Portrayal in the media of southernors as racist or as backward hicks

They are almost all racist backward hicks.

-Portrayal of "red staters" in the same way or an unintelligent and unenlightened compared to blue staters

Relatively speaking they are, obviously.

-The opposition to the "Jesusland' map

I love that map.

-The fundies who whine about Halloween celebrations in schools

Idiots.  Paganism or Satanism, though dumb, is much better than christianity.

-Complaining about any portrayl in the media of priests as pedophiles (if you remember I once had some posts of mine deleted for containing jokes claiming all priests molest children)

Pure censorship.  Though of course I support priests right to have sex with anyone, regardless of age.

-Complaints about Dean's comment about the GOP being a "white Christian party"

Poor Dean.. a politician who tells the truth gets nowhere.

-Complaints about positive portrayals of sex or drug use in the media

They're afraid kids might find out both are fun and fairly harmless! Smiley

-Complaints about games like Grand Theft Auto which supposedly glorify crime and involve killing cops

Cop Killers = Freedom Fighters... though of course it is detrimental to ones future.

-Complaints about movies and TV shows that portray the military in a negative light

Those whack jobs deserve it - little tip, if you ever see a bunch of young men sporting crew cuts in a bar, leave.

-Attacks on leftists mocking Reagan for his Alzheimer's

It is only funny because he was always crazy.

-Attacks on claims that suburbs are all boring, lily-white cookie cutter sterile and boring places to live and that all suburbanites are generic couples with 2.5 children and completely boring

Only boring people would mind boring things been called boring, BRTD.

-Calls for affirmative action for conservatives in universities and complaints about professors pushing liberal political views

This one is no joke - it is truly disturbing.  The Right wingers control every other aspect of American life.. academe is pretty much the only holdout.

-Calling attacks on people like Condi Rice "racist"

The Irony!  She's an Uncle Tom.

-Complaints about positive portrayals of Che Guevara

They dislike the virility and good looks of the Left.

-Attacking leftists for making fun of Katherine Harris' makeup and the news media for editing photos of her to make it appear as if she was wearing more, or for making jokes about Ann Coulter being a transsexual.

It is only funny because of their anti-woman agenda.

Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 09:35:03 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2005, 09:38:58 PM by Left of the Dial »

And that happens in some of these examples too. See David Horowitz's "Academic Bill of Rights" crap, or the schools that did ban Halloween, or the judge forced to apologize for the red states comment, trying to force schools to allow military recruiters, and I'm sure there are some places that would fire me if I went around telling my priest jokes to everyone or repeating some of the things opebo has said. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if some school out in some cconservative area suspends a kid for wearing a Che shirt, I wonder how most Miami schools would treat that. Actually, I do have a similar example of this at my own school: Any kid wearing a shirt with any type of alcohol advertisement or logo on it had to turn it inside out.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 10:52:18 PM »

Haven't been getting enough attention lately BRTD?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 11:27:55 PM »

BRTD is completely right. Objection to the term "uncle tom", trying to replace "french fries" with "freedom fries", and trying to replace "suicide bomber" with "homicide bomber", refusing to distribute Farenheit 9/11 as "too political" (while syndicating Rush Limbaugh) and being offended at any kind of mild language on radio or TV, among many things, are attempts to restrict speech or expression.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 06:49:44 AM »

Everyone can be guilty of political correctness. Its a societal thing sadly not always a political one.
WiseGuy

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 07:09:47 AM »

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 01:21:38 PM »

BRTD is completely right. Objection to the term "uncle tom", trying to replace "french fries" with "freedom fries", and trying to replace "suicide bomber" with "homicide bomber", refusing to distribute Farenheit 9/11 as "too political" (while syndicating Rush Limbaugh) and being offended at any kind of mild language on radio or TV, among many things, are attempts to restrict speech or expression.

I think the issue with political correctness is whether or not the legal system is misused in order to restrict free speech.  That is effectively what has happened with the creation of protected classes who can threaten illegitimate lawsuits at the drop of a hat.  Corporate America has caved to this, effectively creating protected classes, in order to avoid the legal expense of defending themselves, even when they know they are right.

That is the key here -- the legal system cannot be counted upon to make reasonable decisions.  Those with unpopular political agendas use the threat of legal action to force through measures that most people don't want, including many of the people who supposedly benefit from them.

Consumer pressure is something different, and much more legitimate.  It was not legal action that forced Ford, for example to stop advertising in gay publications.  Ford has a conundrum -- gay customers are more highly educated and upscale than average, and therefore potentially a good market.  On the other hand, a decent percentage heterosexual men will not buy a car perceived to be a chick car or a gay car.  Therefore, they must weigh cost vs. benefit -- is there more to be gained by going after the affluent but small gay market, or will the company potentially lose too many sales to male customers who want to drive a manly car?  This is why car companies also fight the 'chick car' image -- because while a woman will buy a man's car, the reverse is not true, and therefore the 'chick car' image ultimately costs sales.  Why do you think VW started running ads with two manly-looking dudes, with 2 days worth of facial stubble and deep voices, tearing away in a Jetta?  Jetta was getting the reputation as a chick car and they're trying to reverse it.

To a certain extent, segmented marketing and an unhealthy obsession with people's sexuality, the latter promoted in large part by the gay movement, has contributed to this problem.  When I first started driving, there was no such thing as a chick car or a gay car, as, for example, the Mazda Miata is perceived to be.

In the examples BRTD used, the tool being used was more public pressure than misuse of the legal system.  I think public pressure is legitimate, but misuse of the legal system is not.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 07:43:09 PM »

Rin-chan
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 07:44:09 PM »

Get rid of political correctness.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 07:46:36 PM »

^^^ That, too.

Rin-chan
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 12:38:12 PM »

That's impossible, something will always be correct.

What would happen if Bush said he agreed that the holocaust never happened, for example?

Dazzle- "misuse" is a subject term. IMO, for example, the FCC terribly abuses its powers by censoring radio & TV.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 12:41:00 PM »

What would happen if Bush said he agreed that the holocaust never happened, for example?

Dazzle- "misuse" is a subject term. IMO, for example, the FCC terribly abuses its powers by censoring radio & TV.

Bush would win the Muslim vote and lose the Jewish vote.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 12:43:52 PM »

Bush would win the Muslim vote and lose the Jewish vote.

Bush already lost the Jewish vote.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 02:25:24 PM »

I know that 'misuse' is subjective.  In fact, if you dig deep enough, just about everything is subjective.  But we have to have some consensus of where to draw the line between judicial intervention and the will of the people.  Since the 1950s, too many people have been misusing the courts to force through unpopular measures that could never be passed by elected officials, on matters that are not consitutional in nature.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 02:51:33 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2005, 02:55:55 PM by J. J. »

-J. J.'s comment to me here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=31353.msg705359#msg705359

If you got any other examples, please share.
When did the above happen and why?
[/quote]

The comment that I was refering to is here:

Anything that's friendly to Iran is bad and Shiites are one horrible awful group meaning they shouldn't run anything.

I would be very critical of anyone who called one group, collectively, as "one horrible awful group."  I am critical of anyone who would declare this about one group.

Now, if he would have said, "the leadership" or "most of the mullahs," my comment would not have been made.  It is one of the most bigoted remarks BRTD has posted.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 07:16:23 PM »

I can't think of anything good Shiites have ever done. They installed the current government in Iran, committed mass atrocities in Lebanon, and still engage in missle attacks regularly on Israel. Name one country ran by Shiites or one Shiite group that has done anything positive.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 11:41:52 PM »

I can't think of anything good the Communists have ever done, either.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2005, 12:11:22 AM »

I can't think of anything good the Communists have ever done, either.

How about kicking the Nazis out of Yugoslavia and Greece and bringing down the dictatorship in Portugal?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2005, 07:53:39 AM »

I can't think of anything good Shiites have ever done. They installed the current government in Iran, committed mass atrocities in Lebanon, and still engage in missle attacks regularly on Israel. Name one country ran by Shiites or one Shiite group that has done anything positive.

Does that mean that every person that is a Shi'te is bad, everyone on the planet?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies