Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 06:01:55 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
| | |-+  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Polls
| | | |-+  Polls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Polls  (Read 50497 times)
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2004, 06:28:38 pm »
Ignore

I was surprised to see Pennsylvania light blue for slight Bush when the last poll posted shows a 48% to 48% tie.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

rockhound

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2004, 03:58:39 pm »
Ignore

I just noticed that Survey USA is showing MD in a tie.   I find that hard to believe.  Anyone know anything about their methodology?
Dave Leip
leip
Administrator
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2004, 09:04:01 pm »

I added a new capability for 50-state polls.  The recent ARG 50-state poll from September is on-line.
Dave
jdmoore

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2004, 06:45:26 pm »
Ignore

There's a new national poll from the AP/Ipsos.

944 likely voters
50-46, Kerry over Bush, 3% M.o.E.

Unknown number of registered voters
47-47, 2.5% M.o.E.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/07/presidential.poll.ap/index.html
classical liberal
RightWingNut
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2004, 09:57:32 pm »
Ignore

There have been no post-debate polls posted for IL.  I've seen 2:

a SUSA released 10/7 showing Kerry +16 (http://www.surveyusa.com/2004_Elections/IL041007pressen.pdf) and a R2k released 10/5 showing Kerry +17 (http://week.com/election/election-read.asp?id=5843).

"As for me, I'd rather live in a free country than a 'fair' one." --David Harsanyi

"What passes for optimism is most often the effect of an intellectual error." --Raymond Claud Ferdinan Aron

"The world is a rough and nasty place. Absent a change in human nature, it will remain so." --Robert M. Gates
classical liberal
RightWingNut
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2004, 10:52:40 am »
Ignore

I haven't seen this posted:

http://actforvictory.org/act.php/truth/articles/new_swing_state_polling_from_america_coming_together/

polls from FL, NM, MN, IA, and WI released 10/7

"As for me, I'd rather live in a free country than a 'fair' one." --David Harsanyi

"What passes for optimism is most often the effect of an intellectual error." --Raymond Claud Ferdinan Aron

"The world is a rough and nasty place. Absent a change in human nature, it will remain so." --Robert M. Gates
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2004, 12:27:21 am »
Ignore

Why is it that Pennsylvania has been moved to tossup because of a tied poll, while Colorado has a tied poll in one of the last three but remains 'Leans Bush'?

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

ATFFL
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 16, 2004, 12:48:23 am »
Ignore

Why is it that Pennsylvania has been moved to tossup because of a tied poll, while Colorado has a tied poll in one of the last three but remains 'Leans Bush'?

Colorado still averages over 5%.  If the average is over 5% it will show lean despite ties, or even the candidate losing in one poll.
Siege40
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2004, 03:30:12 pm »
Ignore

I just checked the poll section of the forum, looks like a huge Kerry surge... maybe. According to my excell chart (ya, I have my own chart to determine the winner, leave me alone) there's 17 EC Tossups (Minnesota + Iowa), 112 ECs within reasonable margin of error ( equal to or less than 4%). And for states with over 5% support in the latest poll the Dems have 213 ECs and the Reps have 196. I'm checking my numbers but it looks pretty good.

Siege
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 03:36:19 pm by Gov. Siege40 »Logged

President - July 1, 2005 - Nov 4, 2005
Secretary of State - Mar 6, 2005 - July 1, 2005
Senator - Nov 5, 2004 - Mar 1, 2005
Northeast Governor - Aug 29, 2004 - Nov 5, 2004
Northeast Lt. Governor - Apr 9, 2004 - Aug 29, 2004

PC Scores: Econ - -6.25 Social - -4.26

Canadian registered in Vermont
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2004, 10:21:34 am »
Ignore

Recently there has been a rather significant divergence between polls from different pollsters as to the present intent of the voters.

While there are a number of possible explanations for this divergence, one which seems to me to explain much of the variation is in the way the particularly polling firm handles the 'likely voter.'

Lets take a concrete example of two radically different approaches.

Potential voter A is 50 years old, and has voted in the 2000, 1996, 1992, 1988.1984. 1980, and 1976 presidential elections.  He says he's leaning to vote for Bush.

Potential voter B is 23, has never voted in any election before in his life (was just registered) and declares that he hates Bush and will vote for "the other guy."

Some firms will look at the history of the voter to determine whether they are likely to vote this year, others will look at the 'intensity' expressed by the respondent to determine whether they will vote this year, and some consider both factors.

Those firms that use (at least primarily) historical voting to project who is more likely to vote, are more likely to give weight to voter A. than voter B.

Contrawise, those firms that use (at least primarily) 'intensity" to project likely voters, are more likely to give weight to voter B.

Registered in Arizona for Fantasy election purposes.
Colin
ColinW
YaBB God
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2004, 07:08:57 pm »
Ignore

I find Rasmussen polls to be the most fair and the most accurate. They also do EV calculations and their site is very informative.

"God protects fools, drunks, and the United States of America" - Otto Von Bismarck

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful." - Seneca the Younger

Quote from: Conservapedia
Thanks to Bryan's victory in the Scopes trial, Tennessee voters have been educated without oppressive evolution theory for 75 years. Free from the liberal indoctrination, Tennessee voted against native son Al Gore in the 2000 Presidential election.
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2004, 07:40:54 pm »
Ignore

Rasmussen generally does a good job for the money, but he does have two signficant problems.

First, he weights his polls with a four point Democrat edge.  My data suggests that a one point Democrat edge would be more accurate.

Second, his state polls are often just subsets of his national polls, such that the data for his state polls can be from a two week period (not too reliable).

Registered in Arizona for Fantasy election purposes.
Kevinstat
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2004, 06:55:06 pm »
Ignore

Here's an interesting Maine poll from SurveyUSA.com:

http://www.surveyusa.com/2004_Elections/ME041020pres2q.pdf

In this poll, Kerry leads Bush by 6 points statewide (up from a 2-point lead in the last SurveyUSA poll), but by 9 points in the 2nd district (reversing a 9-point deficit in the last poll) and only 3 points in the 1st district (down from a 10-point lead in the last poll).  The second district is the one Bush came closer to carrying in 2000, and is the one pundits seem to expect he has a better chance of carrying this year.  So the results of this poll are a bit of a surprise.  This poll didn't seem to include candidates other Bush and Kerry in the question, but did leave an "other" option open.

The statewide result of the poll was Kerry leading Bush 51% to 45%.  In the first district, Kerry led Bush 49% to 46%.  In the second district, Kerry led Bush 53% to 44%.  Kerry polled best among those voters most likely to vote, although that bloc of voters was a far larger sample of the vote than the other bloc so that isn't saying a whole lot and may indicate that that bloc is inflated.

At the conservative web site AsMaineGoes, one poster commented that while he generally doesn't take much stock in polls, he found this polling organization particularly unreliable.  Another poster agreed, and it was discussed how the same polling firm overestimated support for a school funding initative by 19 points shortly before the election.  That was a primary election, however, and there weren't any top-ticket congressional primaries this year, and one poster pointed out that the low turnout in that election made it a very difficult one to poll.

Sincerely,

Kevin Lamoreau
alcaeus
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2004, 03:15:54 pm »
Ignore

Kerry moved ahead in the Rasmussen poll today 48- 46 percent.   Rasmussen uses a five percent margin of error for states, and therefore has more tossup states than other polls.

Most national polls are tracking even with greater frequency.   The national polls look identical to the '00 election at this stage.  However Bush is getting more votes in Bush states and Kerry is holding onto more states than Gore.

A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2004, 06:58:44 pm »
Ignore

Bush is goin to lose the election by a landslide.  Trust me. hehe.  I'm a republican, but I cant stand bush.  He grew up with a silver spoon and had an easy life.  He was a deserter to.  Bush has gotten away with everything easy.  Bush is a moron also. 

So Bush is going to lose by what again?
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2004, 06:03:04 am »
Ignore

Bush is goin to lose the election by a landslide.  Trust me. hehe.  I'm a republican, but I cant stand bush.  He grew up with a silver spoon and had an easy life.  He was a deserter to.  Bush has gotten away with everything easy.  Bush is a moron also. 

So Bush is going to lose by what again?

Wow...May 28th. Reaching a bit there, Philip?

n/c
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout