Post your 2006 Gubernatorial Election Prediction Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:30:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election Predictions (Moderator: muon2)
  Post your 2006 Gubernatorial Election Prediction Maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Post your 2006 Gubernatorial Election Prediction Maps  (Read 71091 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2006, 08:44:57 PM »

There's a race where all the candidates have very high name recognition, and I could have sworn it was California.  What are the other two's name recognition numbers?

Busted, Bush apoligist.

Ratings in the Field poll released a couple of days ago:

Schwarzenegger: 44% favorable, 49% unfavorable, 7% no opinion
Angelides: 24% favorable, 13% unfavorable, 63% no opinion
Westly: 19% favorable, 9% unfavorable, 72% no opinion.

I was asking you because I wasn't certain if my memory was right.  Evidently, it wasn't, and I accept that.  Why am I "busted"?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2006, 08:46:23 PM »

There's a race where all the candidates have very high name recognition, and I could have sworn it was California.  What are the other two's name recognition numbers?

Busted, Bush apoligist.

I was asking you because I wasn't certain if my memory was right.  Evidently, it wasn't, and I accept that.  Why am I "busted"?

63% and 72% no opinion vs. 7% no opinion is a sign of lower name recognition. Amazing rocket science, huh?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2006, 08:48:23 PM »

Busted, Bush apoligist.

63% and 72% no opinion vs. 7% no opinion is a sign of lower name recognition. Amazing rocket science, huh?

Well, that's obvious now that I've seen those numbers.  I still don't see why I'm "busted," unless you were busting me on not having a perfect memory of anything.  You don't always have to "win."
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2006, 07:48:21 PM »

Dems gain: California, Colorado, Ohio, Maryland, New York, Massachusettes
Republicans gain: Illinois

I'm basically unsure about Iowa and Pennsylvania, but right now I'm assuming that an anti-GOP mood will keep both of those stats in the democratic column. But seeing as a lot can change in nine months, the aforementioned states along with Illinois represent the GOP's best chance for pickups.

Florida, thanks to solid approval ratings of Governor Jeb Bush, will remain in the GOP's column.

For now, I'm keeping Pawlenty ahead in Minnesota and Granholm ahead in Michigan, although both of these races will probably be competitve.

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2006, 11:47:40 PM »

Minnesota: Another interesting race that I think could break either way, though I am predicting a very small Dem gain; I have heard from a Minnesotan friend that the Dems are ripe for big gains in the state legislature and may elect a Dem governor to go along. I'm leaning Hatch.

Gains in the legislature, yes, likely. Big gains? Unfortunately not, at least in the House. The good news however, is that's because most of the competetive Republican held seats were already lost in 2004. They lost 13 seats. That was one of 2004's few bright spots for me. Admittedly the DFL leadership of the Senate has been far from perfect, but it's certainly more competant than the Republican leaders who want to throw important issues like the budget behind stupid wedge issues. But to see Hatch win, the DFL take the House, and gains in the Senate would just make my day.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2006, 01:51:17 AM »

Florida: Another interesting race here...I say it's a toss-up, and give it to the Republican because of Florida's GOP trend.

Toss-up? Davis is just within 13% of Charlie Crist. I wouldn't really consider that a "toss-up" but I guess with the way Dems have been winning lately that's pretty close.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2006, 12:58:11 PM »

Likely to switch/vulnerable seats:

1. New York - not much to say, open seat, very Democratic state, very popular Democrat candidate, split on the GOP side and huge Democrat lead in all polls. As safe as it gets.

2. Arkansas - a little cheeky, but this is a very Dem state on the local level and the Democrat is leading in polls. Also, isn't Hutchiunson a former GOP senator? I have my doubts about running ex-electe officials (kind of like Mattingly in Georgia)

3. Colorado - another somewhat bold positioning on my side...but Colorado seems to have a Democrat trend, with Salazar's election and a Dem legislature, one of few non-Southern states to have that while being GOP for so long. And, of course, RItter is doing pretty well in polls.

4. Massachusetts - Open seat in very Democrat state. Yeah, there was that close poll, but MA should still elect a Democratic governor.

5. Ohio - With Coingate and all that and Strickland seemingly a strong candidate this ought to be an easy pickup for Dems. But there seems to be no end to the mess-ups the Ohio Dems are capable of, so I'm not too confident yet.

6. Iowa - Open seat, and everyone says Jim Nussle is so great. There also seems to be a marginal GOP lean in Iowa. Very, very marginal, yes, but it's still there. Could this become another Ohio?

7. Illinois - Impopular incumbent who seems to have a strong opponent in Topinka, whom I think he trailed by as much as 11 points in the last poll. On the other hand, he's a Democrat in a Dem state. Marginal GOP lean.

Cut-off between states that I predict will change hands and those that will not!

8. California - I got a hunch the Guvernator will still pull through. California is an expensive media market for his, as far as I can tell, pretty weak opponents. An incumbent always has an advantage, even if Ahnuld is not pollingvery strongly.

9. Maine - Baldacci is improving his previously poor poll numbers. He's the 3rd in this row of about equally impopular incumbents in about equally Democratic states. He gets the edge over Arnold because he's a Democrat in a Democratic state and over Blagojevich because he doesn't seem to have as strong opposition and is polling better.

10. Wisconsin - the last spot is a close call between Doyle and Pawlenty. Minnesota is the more Democratic state, but Pawlenty seems to be the more popular incumbent. Since the personalities are probably more important I put Doyle here.

That makes it
Dem to Rep: 2
Rep to Dem: 5

Net change: Dem +3

OVerall 25-25
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2006, 04:16:01 PM »

10. Wisconsin - the last spot is a close call between Doyle and Pawlenty. Minnesota is the more Democratic state, but Pawlenty seems to be the more popular incumbent. Since the personalities are probably more important I put Doyle here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh God, thank you I needed a good laugh after today! Grin

Do you mean to be talking about Wisconsin or Minnesota here?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2006, 04:23:42 PM »

What? If you mean to say that Pawlenty is a lot safer than Doyle, then yes, you're probably right. I should perhaps explain that my list is very much affected by what happens right now, so I took the most recent MN poll into account. I think that the most recent polls show both races as equally close.

Or...wait...you think I'm mixing up the races? I'm not, I'm trying to explain why Wisconsin is the 10th spot, and not Minnesota...I'm not under the imperssion that Pawlenty and Doyle are running against each other, if that's what you think... Tongue
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2006, 08:58:40 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2006, 09:27:12 PM by Soaring Eagle »

Likely to switch/vulnerable seats:

2. Arkansas - a little cheeky, but this is a very Dem state on the local level and the Democrat is leading in polls. Also, isn't Hutchiunson a former GOP senator? I have my doubts about running ex-electe officials (kind of like Mattingly in Georgia)

7. Illinois - Impopular incumbent who seems to have a strong opponent in Topinka, whom I think he trailed by as much as 11 points in the last poll. On the other hand, he's a Democrat in a Dem state. Marginal GOP lean.

Asa Hutchinson is the erm... sibling of former Arkansas Senator Tim Hutchinson, who was defeated for reelection in 2002 by Mark Pryor, which is another reason for a Democrat to win the governorship in AR.

Your assessment of Illinois is pretty accurate. Topinka is pretty much the only Republican statewide office-holder, and is the best candidate the GOP could produce (her major opposition comes from Jim Oberweis, who is too right-wing while Topinka is relatively moderate). However Governor Blagojevich has a health care plan in the works, which, if passed, could be enough to secure his reelection. I wouldn't exactly call it a GOP lean, though. But that's just me.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »

Asa Hutchinson's a man...
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2006, 09:26:38 PM »

Really? I read somewhere it was his sister...
Ah, well. You're probably right.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2006, 09:27:59 PM »

That's what they want you to think.

I actually made the same mistake with the governor of Mississippi, Haley Barbour, mainly because the only instances of "Haley" that I've known were female.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2006, 09:26:35 AM »

Blagojevich approval ratings are really, really poor. When you're that impopular and you face a credible candidate, I say you're in trouble. I go by recent polls quite a lot, and the last one gave Topinka an 11 point lead. Unless that changes I'm gonna give her the edge.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2006, 07:05:06 PM »

Blagojevich approval ratings are really, really poor. When you're that impopular and you face a credible candidate, I say you're in trouble. I go by recent polls quite a lot, and the last one gave Topinka an 11 point lead. Unless that changes I'm gonna give her the edge.
Where is this poll? The last one I saw had Blagojevich leading. But yeah, he isn't that popular. He's a good guy, but gets a lot of negative press.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2006, 09:16:03 AM »

Ah, whoops. I missed the latest poll from Rasmussen. That does change things. I twould then be:

7. California
8.Maine
9. Illinois

Democrats thus still take 5 seats, GOP only 1. Democrats have the majority of Governors, 26-24.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2006, 12:05:02 PM »

Light blue/red: Toss-up
Plain blue/red: Lean
Dark blue/red: Solid

I've called them (and I'm sticking with them), no matter how implausible some of these predictions may be

Dave
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2006, 06:45:54 PM »

BUMP

And will someone ever sticky this?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2006, 06:51:55 PM »

PM or IM Supersoulty and then you'll get it to happen.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2006, 06:53:50 PM »

PM or IM Supersoulty and then you'll get it to happen.

He is hardly ever around, and even if I do PM him, it will take a (long) while before he responds -if he does. 

Well waiting a little while is better then never having it stickied.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2006, 07:00:14 PM »

Does Supersoulty even want the job anymore?  Maybe we need to get another moderator.
Mr. Paleoconservative
Reagan Raider
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 5.30

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2006, 07:02:42 PM »

Prediction Map

Confidence Map
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2006, 07:03:42 PM »

Stop the drug use.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2006, 09:37:10 PM by Alcon »

His map may be favourable to the Republicans, but it's reasonable (heck, he even gives Democrats more of an advantage than the polls show in Minnesota, Illinois, and Maine).

New Hampshire is the only state that is ridiculous on the map, and that is because a lot of people don't realise that a Democrat was elected there in 2004, who is now very popular.

EDIT: Colorado doesn't make sense either, as Gabu said.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2006, 07:52:36 PM »

D +6 I think.  Wow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies