VA Attorney General recount: McDonnell (R) wins with margin of 323 votes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:38:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA Attorney General recount: McDonnell (R) wins with margin of 323 votes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: VA Attorney General recount: McDonnell (R) wins with margin of 323 votes  (Read 4371 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2005, 09:07:18 PM »

Source

Recount Fails to Overturn Va. GOP Victory

By LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 11 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. - A recount Wednesday upheld Republican Bob McDonnell's narrow victory for attorney general in the closest statewide election in modern Virginia history.

Democrat Creigh Deeds demanded the recount after the State Board of Elections certified McDonnell the winner by just 323 votes out of more than 1.9 million cast in the Nov. 8 election — a margin of 0.0166 of a percentage point.

Deeds called McDonnell and congratulated him on the victory after preliminary recount results showed he could not overcome the margin. Deeds spokesman Mark Bergman said final numbers still were being tallied.

Totals from voting machines were rechecked in most of Virginia's 134 localities Tuesday. Results from each of the state's more than 2,500 precincts were sealed in envelopes, along with any challenged ballots, and delivered by state police to Richmond for a final tally and review by a three-judge panel.

The court ordered more rigorous hand counts in 10 precincts where problems with voting equipment were documented. A few thousand old-fashioned paper ballots statewide also had to be recounted manually, and punch-card ballots in one Virginia Beach precinct were rerun through a tabulator because a printout of the original results could not be read.

Virginia law allows a court-supervised recount when results fall within 1 percentage point. Taxpayers pick up the tab if the results are within one-half of 1 percentage point, although the campaigns must pay their lawyers and others helping them with the recount.

McDonnell, who has represented Virginia Beach in the House of Delegates for 14 years, appeared to win by about 3,000 votes on election night. But the margin narrowed as mistakes were found in the routine canvass of results by electoral boards in the days after the election.

Deeds, a state senator from rural Bath County, had pushed for the most intensive recount possible. However, the court rejected his request to rerun more than 500,000 optical scan ballots through vote tabulators.

In the only other statewide recount in modern Virginia history, Republican Marshall Coleman shaved only 113 votes from Democrat L. Douglas Wilder's 7,000-vote advantage in the 1989 governor's race.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 10:59:14 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2005, 11:01:13 AM by Frodo »

Source

Recount Fails to Overturn Va. GOP Victory

By LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 11 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. - A recount Wednesday upheld Republican Bob McDonnell's narrow victory for attorney general in the closest statewide election in modern Virginia history.

Democrat Creigh Deeds demanded the recount after the State Board of Elections certified McDonnell the winner by just 323 votes out of more than 1.9 million cast in the Nov. 8 election — a margin of 0.0166 of a percentage point.

I am nitpicking here but for the sake of accuracy, according to the article, the margin of victory for Bob McDonnell was 360 votes.  McDonnell actually gained 37 more votes from the recount. 
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 11:06:59 AM »

Too bad.

From what I've read, both Deeds and Byrne were underfunded and were not nearly as visible as their Republican challengers.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 11:30:41 AM »

Thank God Byrne didn't get elected.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 12:03:18 PM »

That's a sham, but I guess that's jst the case. He'll just have to run again next time. By then the tides will be more in our favor.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 12:11:38 PM »

Thank God Byrne didn't get elected.

Agreed… what on earth she was doing on a ticket in Virginia I’ll never know.

But it’s a shame about Deeds I had hoped he’d be the gubernatorial candidate in 2009, that’s if Warner isn’t Smiley and I guess he could still be the candidate even if he isn’t AG. 
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 12:30:51 PM »

I agree about Deeds unlike Kaine or Byrne he is a good ole' boy from Bath county.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 12:58:23 PM »

That's a sham, but I guess that's jst the case. He'll just have to run again next time. By then the tides will be more in our favor.

Of course. The tide is always in the Democrats' favor.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 01:08:34 PM »

Of course. The tide is always in the Democrats' favor.

And in your opinion the tide is never in the democrats favor.

Says who?

It is correct that, in the relatively short time I've posted on Atlas (a couple cycles), Democrats have struggled. It is also correct that I have understood reality.

Should the Democrats' prospects change for the better, I will be the first to attempt to capitalize. If you think I wouldn't win easy money on tradesports by betting on a Democrat, you misunderstand me.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 01:13:09 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2005, 01:18:23 PM by nickshepDEM »

Says who?

It is correct that, in the relatively short time I've posted on Atlas (a couple cycles), Democrats have struggled. It is also correct that I have understood reality.

Should the Democrats' prospects change for the better, I will be the first to attempt to capitalize. If you think I wouldn't win easy money on tradesports by betting on a Democrat, you misunderstand me.

The previous poster was simply pointing out that VA is becomming more and more democratic.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 01:17:51 PM »

Deeds would be a good Senate candidate in 2008 when John Warner retires.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 01:18:05 PM »

True, that assertion is nearly universal. I happen to disagree, but it's not a cut-and-dried sort of thing. What does "Democratic" mean? If it means electing Dem governors, that used to happen every time. If it means voting for Dem presidential candidates, that still doesn't happen. If it means electing a Dem legislature, that used to happen and now it's 2/3 GOP. If it means electing Dem Senators, it used to happen and now there are 2 Republicans.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 01:24:32 PM »

True, that assertion is nearly universal. I happen to disagree, but it's not a cut-and-dried sort of thing. What does "Democratic" mean? If it means electing Dem governors, that used to happen every time. If it means voting for Dem presidential candidates, that still doesn't happen. If it means electing a Dem legislature, that used to happen and now it's 2/3 GOP. If it means electing Dem Senators, it used to happen and now there are 2 Republicans.

I guess it just depends on your definition of 'trend'.   Democratic presidential candidates have been inching closer and closer in VA.  The influence of NOVA also plays into the hands of the democrats.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 01:31:24 PM »

I'm not disputing that Dem presidential candidates are doing a bit better. But Bush improved greatly in Connecticut in 2004... is that a trend?

Bush did better in: Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennslyvania, New Jersey, and New Hampshire than Kerry did in Virginia. Hawaii, Connecticut, Illinois, California, Maine, and Delaware were basically equal.

The evidence is that the GOP has gone from zero to domination at the state and local levels in VA, and that the explosion in NOVA has gained Dem's a couple points in national races. That's what I see. Other people can see different things, but it's a matter of opinion either way.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 01:34:34 PM »

I agree about Deeds unlike Kaine or Byrne he is a good ole' boy from Bath county.

I don’t mind Kaine… he’s not terribly exciting but he practical and well meaning which can’t hurt he’ll probably be an ok but not amazing governor and may even go on to run for Senate in 2008… if its an open contest he might even win, but I’m not so sure he even be interested.

Your right about Deeds though he was a good blue-dog candidate I really was amazed he polled behind Kaine… then again I was amazed at how well Byrne did, thanks largely to her clinging for dear life to the Warner-Kaine coattails. I do wonder if Deeds would have been the better candidate for Lt.Gov, its not as though Byrne really helped Kaine – he locked up the Dem base sufficiently as it was – Deeds in contrast would have helped Kaine challenged Kilgore in the rural heart of the state.        
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 02:08:49 PM »

They continously cite the growing Democratic vote in Fairfax County.  True, it is putting a lot of Democratic votes on the table, and it no longer seems possible for a Republican to win the state by twenty points.  On the other hand, conservative areas of the state are also fast growing, and there's little to show that Democrats are making as big inroads in the rest of the state as they are in Fairfax.  I think you have a new, cosmpolitian Democrat vote emerging in the north, while old school yellow dog Democrats vote more Republican in the south, so in a way it is a tradeoff. In order for Fairfax to truly turn the state blue, it would need a large voting electorade on par with somewhere like Detroit, and I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 01:53:13 AM »

The immagrants and yuppies are making my state more liberal.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 07:06:32 AM »

"Yuppies" typically vote Republican, and I wasn't aware that Virginia's immigration rates are newly higher than normal relative to its U.S.-citizen growth rate.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2005, 08:17:24 PM »

It's not only the "yuppies" or immgrants:  It's the good 'ol boys that are *FINALLY* recognizing that Reps. aren't going to do anything tangible when it comes to protecting the moral integrity or national security of the American family (except to further destroy it through unfettered-Madison Ave. capitalism).  But democrats can only capitalize on this collective epiphany by running pragmatists (which describes Warner better than centrist or moderate).
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2005, 09:21:28 PM »

Yuppies mostly hail from the San Fransico lattie liberal crowd.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2005, 09:24:56 PM »

What state are you from?  I think I've seen you with a PA, IL and CA avatar in the past month or so.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 09:53:03 PM »

Im from VA the NOVA area in matter of fact.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 09:26:34 PM »

There's a 90% chance the Republicans stole this election, just like Dino Rossi tried to steal an election in my state. But unlike poor Virginia, justice was fulfilled here and the democratic process was allowed to take place, despite the Republican Party's attempt to undo the people's will.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 09:30:37 PM »

There's a 90% chance the Republicans stole this election, just like Dino Rossi tried to steal an election in my state. But unlike poor Virginia, justice was fulfilled here and the democratic process was allowed to take place, despite the Republican Party's attempt to undo the people's will.

Roll Eyes
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2005, 05:49:41 AM »

Does this now set McDonnell up as the Republican nominee for Governor in 2009 now then?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies