How do we handle the General Election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:35:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  How do we handle the General Election?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How do we handle the General Election?  (Read 15062 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2004, 07:06:47 PM »

I know everything, for I am perfect. Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2004, 07:07:12 PM »

I know everything, for I am perfect. Smiley

And modest too! Smiley
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »

Well, it would depend on how much of a landslide it is. If the GOP wins a landslide, or the Dems win a landslide, they would cut into the base states of the other party. Also, it would depend on where the presidential and VP nominees are from, too. For example, if the race is reasonably close then Supersoulty should win Pennsylvania even though it would lean slightly Democratic otherwise. Likewise if I were to be the nominee and I don't lose in a landslide, I hope I can count on Michigan. Wink
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2004, 11:10:44 PM »

I would say have a regular simulated EC, the results of which would match those of the popular vote, but try to do our best guess to determine who should win each state after the results are in.

Well, I can already determine that the Republicans will win every state in the south, and the Democrats will win all the New England states. That's kinda unfair to both parties.

Not necessarily. Isn't Harry from MS, or am I mistaken? And NHpolitico is from NH, he is the only guy from that state I've seen. A've also seen a Connecticut Rep , and no Dem from that state.

Yes I am from Mississippi
Realistically a Democrat would have a very tough time winning Mississippi, even if the presidential nominee was from here.
However, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Tennessee are all states in the South that a Southern Democrat could put into play.  So if we do an electoral college by state, I would put AR, LA, and TN as big tossups and and MS as a tossup, but GOP-leaning.
Kentucky, Georgia, and Florida are also states that a Southerner could carry, but with a lesser chance of success.  Remember, though, Clinton carried all 3 of these.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2004, 11:33:14 AM »

Realistically a Democrat would have a very tough time winning Mississippi, even if the presidential nominee was from here.
However, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Tennessee are all states in the South that a Southern Democrat could put into play.  So if we do an electoral college by state, I would put AR, LA, and TN as big tossups and and MS as a tossup, but GOP-leaning.
Kentucky, Georgia, and Florida are also states that a Southerner could carry, but with a lesser chance of success.  Remember, though, Clinton carried all 3 of these.

This is starting to get confusing.  lol

Okay.  So Harry is from Miss.  I'm from Ga.  We can't *both* win the south.  If I vote Republican, I'd expect my state's EV's to go Republican.  Likewise, if Harry votes Democrat, his EV's should go Democrat (a Democrat winning in Miss!?  Oh my!).

But then there's another problem...two people from the same state, one votes Republican, the other votes Democrat - who gets the EV's?

I'm starting to go cross-eyed over this, so I guess I'll just let ya'll duke it out and decide on how to go.  Let me know how it goes.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2004, 12:23:05 PM »

This is starting to get confusing.  lol

Okay.  So Harry is from Miss.  I'm from Ga.  We can't *both* win the south.  If I vote Republican, I'd expect my state's EV's to go Republican.  Likewise, if Harry votes Democrat, his EV's should go Democrat (a Democrat winning in Miss!?  Oh my!).

But then there's another problem...two people from the same state, one votes Republican, the other votes Democrat - who gets the EV's?

I'm starting to go cross-eyed over this, so I guess I'll just let ya'll duke it out and decide on how to go.  Let me know how it goes.

Lol, that is a problem. I am leaning towards Nym90, who I think suggested having a popualr vote, and then just marking the states. OR! Couldn't we have a popular vote and then whoever won a state wins that state's member votes one more time. So if there are 5 voters from a state, 3 Reps and two Dems, the Dem nominee will recieve two votes, the Rep nominee 8 (3 direct votes + 5 from the state as a whole). That would give some weight to carrying states, but not mess up as badly as the normal EC. Home states could still be won, b/c with so few voters the candidates own vote might well be enough. What do you think of that?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2004, 12:26:56 PM »

We could do the way I proposed in another post.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2004, 04:40:07 PM »

In regards to the popular vote, the concern about voter fraud (i.e. people registering multiple accounts)--isn't there a way to only allow people to vote if they had registered by a certain
date (say Jan. 1) ?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2004, 04:43:26 PM »

Also, I apologize if this question has been answered before, as I haven't read through all the posts, but is winning the general election just an honor or what?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2004, 04:54:55 PM »

Also, I apologize if this question has been answered before, as I haven't read through all the posts, but is winning the general election just an honor or what?

No, whoever wins gets resonsible for our nuclear weapons, lol. I object to the word "just"! It's a major honour, and a responsibility, neither of which is to be taken lightly.  Wink Smiley
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2004, 05:17:57 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2004, 05:19:44 PM by nclib »

No, whoever wins gets resonsible for our nuclear weapons, lol. I object to the word "just"! It's a major honour, and a responsibility, neither of which is to be taken lightly.  Wink Smiley

I was thinking control over the design of this forum or something...
Demrepdan

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2004, 05:20:58 PM »

I was thinking control over the design of this forum or something...
No no no, that's Dave's job, and that will ALWAYS be Dave's job. Whoever is elected President, will simply be the CHIEF member and representative from the forum.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2004, 12:05:22 PM »

I see that Realpolitik is the senator of West Virginia. That makes me to assume that we foreigners are allowed to vote too?? Let's widen the foundation of American Democracy with new  spirit of trans-atlantic relationships!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2004, 12:13:35 PM »

If you have an avatar you can vote.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2004, 01:37:43 PM »

Exactly, Mike, me and RP are all voting, and there might be others as well. You're free to join in! Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies