Unions Invoking Civil Rights Movement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:04:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Unions Invoking Civil Rights Movement
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unions Invoking Civil Rights Movement  (Read 1443 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2005, 10:44:38 AM »

It would be interesting to hear the reactions of some of the more pro-union guys to this article.  Do you view it as positive or negative?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051224/ap_on_re_us/transit_civil_rights

Unions Invoking Civil Rights More Often By DEEPTI HAJELA, Associated Press Writer
Sat Dec 24, 2:45 PM ET

NEW YORK - Some names mentioned during the past week's transit strike might have seemed out of place in the context of contract negotiations: Rosa Parks. Martin Luther King Jr. Eugene "Bull" Connor.

The Transport Workers Union and its supporters linked their labor woes to the civil rights struggle, an approach that people who study the labor movement say is being used more often as some unions see increasing minority membership. More than 70 percent of the TWU's 33,000 members are people of color, including its president.

"In organizing itself I see a tremendous increase in the reinventing of the labor movement as the heir of the civil rights movement," said Gary Chaison, professor of labor relations at Clark University in Worcester, Mass. "I think it's the recasting of the labor movement in a way that I haven't seen in many years."

"Unions have got to find a language that justifies the actions that they are taking, they're going to have to use the language of civil rights," said Robert Korstad, associate professor of public policy studies and history at Duke University. "They have to make that connection that they're fighting for the same things."

The transit workers made that connection when they walked off the job amid a bitter dispute with the     Metropolitan Transportation Authority over pensions and wages, shutting down New York's subway and bus system for three days and turning millions of people into pedestrians.

TWU President Roger Toussaint, responding to criticisms that the union was breaking a state law that bans strikes by public employees, invoked the name of civil rights icon Rosa Parks.

"There is a higher calling than the law and that's justice and equality. Had Rosa Parks answered the call of the law instead of the higher call of justice, many of us who are driving buses today would still be in the back of the bus," Toussaint said.

Union supporters brought up civil rights imagery, particularly when criticizing Mayor Michael Bloomberg for describing union leadership as acting "thuggishly," which they said was racist when used to refer to a predominantly minority union.

The Rev. Herb Daughtry, a longtime activist and influential black leader, said Bloomberg, Gov. George Pataki and Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials were in danger of being likened to "Bull" Connor, the segregationist police chief in Birmingham, Ala., who used fire hoses and dogs against civil rights marchers.

The Rev.     Al Sharpton also weighed in with a civil rights struggle reference: "Martin Luther King Jr. was in Memphis to violate and defy a court injunction against a union strike when he was assassinated ... Would you call him a thug?"

Bloomberg said he stood by his characterization of the union leadership's actions, and his spokesman said it was "despicable to inject race into this situation." In contrast to his predecessor, Rudolph Giuliani, Bloomberg has gotten good marks for his relationships with the city's minority communities.

Despite the mayor's protest, race and economics are intertwined, and that is something unions recognize, said Dan Cornfield, labor and sociology professor at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn.

"Over the last 40 years, the degree of income inequality has increased, so we're an increasingly polarized society between haves and have-nots. The bottom half of the income distribution is increasingly and disproportionally racial and ethnic minorities, women and immigrants," he said.

Chaison pointed to the recent breakaway of some major unions from the AFL-CIO to form their own group. The unions that left tend to represent service workers, in fields like the textile, hotel, and restaurant industries, and have growing numbers of minorities as members.

"They see the labor movement as essentially that — a movement — a civil rights movement," he said. "They think this resonates with minorities and immigrants because it focuses on giving them a voice."
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 01:29:42 PM »

The poor (workers) are obviously a subjugated group not unlike blacks were in the South.  How appropriate that unions invoke the civil rights movement!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:30:36 PM »

Union members (deluded workers) are clearly being led astray by fools here.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 01:35:34 PM »

Even if that were so, what is the meaning of 'being led astray' when you're already at the bottom (worker)?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 01:37:42 PM »

A worker is not necessarily at the bottom. Example: my father.

They are being led to believe that unions can better their quality of life, which is rarely true.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 01:46:08 PM »

A worker is not necessarily at the bottom. Example: my father.

They are being led to believe that unions can better their quality of life, which is rarely true.

Of course that is not so - it is in the interest of the employer to make a worker's life as bad as possible.  Therefore only the union or the State can improve the worker's existence.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 01:50:51 PM »

No, deluded bum. The worker and employer (and you can be both) both benefit from their relationship. Otherwise, it would not exist.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 01:57:13 PM »

It would be interesting to hear the reactions of some of the more pro-union guys to this article.  Do you view it as positive or negative?

Interesting question; overall I would say the idea of linking the Labour movement to other social justice movements might well be a good idea to get more members, increase respectability and so on. On the other hand... if certain Unions are seen as being tools of people like Sharpton then...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 03:40:12 PM »

Interesting question; overall I would say the idea of linking the Labour movement to other social justice movements might well be a good idea to get more members, increase respectability and so on. On the other hand... if certain Unions are seen as being tools of people like Sharpton then...
Of course there's nothing whatsoever new about the link between US unions and the US civil rights movement.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 03:53:53 PM »

Of course there's nothing whatsoever new about the link between US unions and the US civil rights movement.

True; they just haven't been very overt about it recently (from what I've been able to tell anyway).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 05:52:04 PM »

Now that I have a bit more time to answer this...

The Transport Workers Union and its supporters linked their labor woes to the civil rights struggle, an approach that people who study the labor movement say is being used more often as some unions see increasing minority membership. More than 70 percent of the TWU's 33,000 members are people of color, including its president.

Interesting; over here the Transport & General Workers Union used similer rhetoric during the Gate Gourmet dispute (which is kinda over now). A bit different o/c (these were mainly Indian [and mostly Sikh] women) but the parallels are certainly interesting.
Outside that sort of industry, the giant T&G is still very white though. Not to the same extent as other blue collar unions though. And until fairly recently it's leader was from Jamaica.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The very fact that it's even occured to some Union bosses to try to reinvent their image is interesting enough in it's own right.

Hmm? There's an awful lot of other words and phrases unions can use to justify their actions that don't have anything to do with civil rights. And what's an associate professor anyway?

Quite a good line actually. Seems to have been said more for the sake of being said than anything else though.

Interesting. Quite amusing to see a socially liberal type like Bloomberg being accused of playing the race card. Hoisted by his own petard perhaps?

That sort of comparision is going too far IMO; and going so negative isn't a great idea anyway.

The union could do with Sharpton shutting up. Then again, so would *everyone*... Roll Eyes

Typical spin-doctor blurb there...

I don't see how that's at all revelant...

True. Although the extent of it still isn't certain and is certainly less than fourty odd years ago.

Although to be honest it's always been that way... and I'm not really sure how very relavent that is for unions. You can't unionise the very bottom of society as the very bottom of society doesn't actually have a job...

Textiles are part of the service sector? Huh
A more accurate summary might be "industries where there's a lot of room for relatively easy union expansion".

It would be a positive if the unions would make a thing of that, yes. Makes everyone involved more respectable in a way.
But U.S unions will have to do more than just reach out to minority groups if they want to expand up to the sort of levels of union density you'd expect in a labour market like the U.S's; although even beginning to take as small a step as this is probably significant.
At the same time it's very important for unions to not be associated with people like Sharpton or to be seen as part of some grand pinko-lefty-minorities *political* movement... fundamentally unions are economic creatures and shouldn't forget that in pursuit of a few more members.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 06:33:52 PM »

...And what's an associate professor anyway?

An associate professor is, like many American workers today, a part-timer denied many benefits of full professorship, including job security (tenure).

At many second rate schools, professors are paid by the class, like 'piecework', with no benefits.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 08:43:28 PM »

Now that I have a bit more time to answer this...

Interesting; over here the Transport & General Workers Union used similer rhetoric during the Gate Gourmet dispute (which is kinda over now). A bit different o/c (these were mainly Indian [and mostly Sikh] women) but the parallels are certainly interesting.
Outside that sort of industry, the giant T&G is still very white though. Not to the same extent as other blue collar unions though. And until fairly recently it's leader was from Jamaica.

The very fact that it's even occured to some Union bosses to try to reinvent their image is interesting enough in it's own right.

Hmm? There's an awful lot of other words and phrases unions can use to justify their actions that don't have anything to do with civil rights. And what's an associate professor anyway?

Quite a good line actually. Seems to have been said more for the sake of being said than anything else though.

Interesting. Quite amusing to see a socially liberal type like Bloomberg being accused of playing the race card. Hoisted by his own petard perhaps?

That sort of comparision is going too far IMO; and going so negative isn't a great idea anyway.

The union could do with Sharpton shutting up. Then again, so would *everyone*... Roll Eyes

Typical spin-doctor blurb there...

I don't see how that's at all revelant...

True. Although the extent of it still isn't certain and is certainly less than fourty odd years ago.

Although to be honest it's always been that way... and I'm not really sure how very relavent that is for unions. You can't unionise the very bottom of society as the very bottom of society doesn't actually have a job...

Textiles are part of the service sector? Huh
A more accurate summary might be "industries where there's a lot of room for relatively easy union expansion".

It would be a positive if the unions would make a thing of that, yes. Makes everyone involved more respectable in a way.
But U.S unions will have to do more than just reach out to minority groups if they want to expand up to the sort of levels of union density you'd expect in a labour market like the U.S's; although even beginning to take as small a step as this is probably significant.
At the same time it's very important for unions to not be associated with people like Sharpton or to be seen as part of some grand pinko-lefty-minorities *political* movement... fundamentally unions are economic creatures and shouldn't forget that in pursuit of a few more members.

I agree with you Al that the quote referring to Rosa Parks was said most for the sake of saying it.  With respect to Mayor Bloomberg, I don't think he's being hoist on his own petard.  He hasn't been a proponent of political correctness that I have heard.

My own personal opinion is that this whole idea of invoking the civil rights movement for unions is rubbish.  The civil rights movement was a once-in-a-century type movement, and it itself has severely deteriorated.  The various movements that have sprung from it are in even worse shape.  I think it cheapens the civil rights movement to equate basic rights with a few percentage points of difference in salary increase.  If the workers were being deprived of basic rights, I might agree, but that is not the case.

I also don't agree with playing this from a racial angle.  People should be paid the market value of their labor, regardless of race.  Race shouldn't have anything to do with this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 08:02:53 AM »

With respect to Mayor Bloomberg, I don't think he's being hoist on his own petard.  He hasn't been a proponent of political correctness that I have heard.

In which case, all the yuppy-liberals that had to walk to work in the cold were hoisted on their own petards then Wink

If the civil rights movement were anything like it was in the '60's, that'd be true. But to be honest the whole thing has been cheapend by it's self-proclaimed "leaders" to a huge (and actually quite tragic) extent since then; usually for political gain.
I don't think unions should make too much of it (mainly for that reason, btw) but I'd prefer it to be used for these purposes, rather than as a way to whip up support for the usual scumbag wannabe politicians.

Agree with that as well. From what I've been able to find out (which probably isn't enough) both sides in the dispute were kinda playing around with it... but on the bright side, much less so than I'd have assumed would be the case.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 10:08:28 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies