Canada: Harper pledges to bolster submarine defense against USA (among others)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:28:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada: Harper pledges to bolster submarine defense against USA (among others)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Canada: Harper pledges to bolster submarine defense against USA (among others)  (Read 4219 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2005, 03:13:10 PM »

Actually it looks like this is a simple territorial dispute.  Candad claims the Northwest passage as territorial waters, the U.S. and several other countries claim it is international waters.  It's not surprising that either side would pick its position.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2005, 04:48:44 PM »

I *think* this is the most blatent use of the old "America threatens our sovereignty!!!!11111" card since the Liberals in '88... although it doesn't even come *close* to that...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2005, 06:06:36 PM »

There is absolutely no reason for U.S. subs to be in Canadian waters. The cold war is over. Now, you are just polluting our arctic waters.

Polluting?  U.S. subs only use the cleanest energy source available: nuclear power.

They are disturbing the natural habitats of the area. Plus, what happens if there is a crash? How would you like it if Canada had subs, and used those subs in American waters?

This really is a silly issue, but I don't mind discussing it.

So, if Canadians are so concerned about the Artic environment, why are they going to build armed icebreakers, construct a new military port, put a bunch of sonar buoys in the water, and patrol the skys with robotic aircraft?

I was unaware of that. However, you failed to state how you would feel if Canada sent a sub up the Hudson.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2005, 06:16:52 PM »

So, if Canadians are so concerned about the Artic environment, why are they going to build armed icebreakers, construct a new military port, put a bunch of sonar buoys in the water, and patrol the skys with robotic aircraft?

Canadians aren't.  I can't think of any Canadian I know (save Earl) who is even remotely concerned about this issue.  I honestly do not care.  I have a million other things to be concerned about than whether or not American submarines are in so-called Canadian waters.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2005, 06:39:48 PM »

Canadians aren't.  I can't think of any Canadian I know (save Earl) who is even remotely concerned about this issue.  I honestly do not care.  I have a million other things to be concerned about than whether or not American submarines are in so-called Canadian waters.

Well, it is not an issue that people talk about, I know. However, if the topic came up, I am sure many people would agree with me that US subs should not be in Canadian waters during peace time.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2005, 01:09:35 AM »

I was unaware of that. However, you failed to state how you would feel if Canada sent a sub up the Hudson.

Most Americans would think it cute that you were pretending to be a real country after being stunned you had submersible technology.

I am only slightly exaggerating.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2005, 01:35:27 AM »

AHAHA

Laughable, i'd love to see these sonar stations be installed, it would be cute for lack of a better word.

Canadian Govenrment: Our sonar stations report that the United States Navy has multiple ships patrolling our waters, we'd like them removed immeadiatley.

GW or some admiral or chiefs of staff : what is this, some sort of joke? Is it the first of April?

Seriously what do the Canadians think theyre doing?

Do they think we plan to invade?

Whats thier plan after they locate our subs? Throw white flags and leagal papers at them until they drive away?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2005, 04:17:47 AM »

Meh. Fine with me, its time Canada stops getting a free ride on our defense bill.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2005, 01:03:29 PM »

Here's the difference: Canada can't do crap. The US can. We've protected their asses long enough that US subs can go through waters that clearly are not controlled by Canada, whether they "claim" them or not.

Canada is like a spoiled brat that doesn't know her place.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies