Statehood for DC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:59:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Statehood for DC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Statehood for DC  (Read 3506 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2004, 10:44:02 PM »

And of course, I also support statehood for Cuba, Manitoba, Alberta and Saskatawan.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2004, 10:44:46 PM »

And for a seperate North and South California.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2004, 10:45:34 PM »

And I think we should take Philadelphia (just the city proper) and tack it on to New Jersey.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2004, 10:50:50 PM »

Turning DC into part of Maryland for voting purposes would be actually be a benefit to Republicans.  It would add a Democratic House member, but it would subtract 2 Democratic Electoral Votes.  Maryland would gain 1 EV (presumably for the Dems), while DC would lose its 3 EVs (always for the Dems).  

I'd imagine most Republicans would gladly trade one House seat for two electoral votes.

Of course, if MD were a swing state, it would be a bigger plus for the Dems because it would really help them win the state in Senate and Presidential elections, but MD is already pretty solidly Democratics.  It would give Ehrlich something to worry about, though.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2004, 01:48:04 AM »

It would be unconstitutional for DC to become a state as the land it is on belongs to Maryland. "No state shall be created out of another state or territory."

What about West Virginia and Maine and Vermont?

Not sure about the circumstances behind Maine and VT but I know that West Virginia was created unconstitutionally. Virginia gave them up at the end of the war through a deal with the federal govt. Keep WVA and all pre-war and war debt are owed to the Govt. Let WVA go and the pre-war/war debt will be split 50/50 between the two states.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2004, 01:50:06 AM »

The original constitution states that taxes should pass through the states to go to the IRS.  Since there is no state government in DC to forward federal taxes, is would have been unconstitutional for DC residents to pay federal income tax.

The consitution says nothing of the sort.  The IRS isn't even mentioned.

The IRS and the federal income tax on regular citizens is unconstituational. The 16th Amendment is a sham. But thats for another thread.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2005, 01:51:18 PM »

I don't think DC is big enough to be a state, but here's what I think:
it's the DISTRICT of Columbia, but what is a district?  How about a constitutional amendment that defines a district as an area that gets voting representation in the house and electoral votes as if it were a state, but no senators?  That way DC has 1 representative and 1 EV.  Congress could make other districts too, like the Virgin Islands and Guam, etc., because they're not really big enough to be states and have 3 EV's, but 1 EV wouldn't be bad.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2005, 03:27:24 PM »

I don't see how that would give any state an advantage.
But then give DC full representation without actual statehood. That doesn't give any state an advantage.

if they don't have representation, residents of DC should be exempt from federal taxes.

If DC residents want "representation," they can move to Maryland or Virginia.  People knew of the special status the District has, and if that is their only complaint, there is nothing (except excuses) holding them back from moving elsewhere.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2005, 03:30:31 PM »

If DC residents want "representation," they can move to Maryland or Virginia.  People knew of the special status the District has, and if that is their only complaint, there is nothing (except excuses) holding them back from moving elsewhere.

Do you know exactly how poor the average DCer is?  That no doubt is holding them back.  It's not exactly their choice to live in DC; I'm sure very few would live there by choice.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2005, 04:02:59 PM »

Do you know exactly how poor the average DCer is?  That no doubt is holding them back.  It's not exactly their choice to live in DC; I'm sure very few would live there by choice.

That is an excuse (note my prior message).  Nothing stopped people I've known who were truly poor from moving to find jobs and/or improve their position in life.  People that are in DC are there by choice.  No one is holding a gun to their head forcing them to stay where they are.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2005, 04:40:17 PM »

That is an excuse (note my prior message).  Nothing stopped people I've known who were truly poor from moving to find jobs and/or improve their position in life.  People that are in DC are there by choice.  No one is holding a gun to their head forcing them to stay where they are.

It simply isn't economically feasible for a majority of them to pick up and move.  Remember what we're dealing with here: DC.  It's 90% black, the mayor does crack, he gets busted, and wins a council seat a decade later.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2005, 05:08:54 PM »

Actually, it's only 60% black.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2005, 05:11:26 PM »

Merely a guess on my part, my mistake.  But I'm sure alot of the whites in DC are quite black also; this seems to happen in majority-minority cities.  See: Detroit.  Eminem is as black as they come, despite his white skin.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2005, 08:24:00 PM »

Give it to Maryland, if they will take it

Sounds good to me.  Gives us a couple more electoral votes, makes statewide races literally impossible for republicans to win, and adds one unbelievably safe CD.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2005, 08:52:55 PM »

Give it to Maryland, if they will take it

Sounds good to me.  Gives us a couple more electoral votes, makes statewide races literally impossible for republicans to win, and adds one unbelievably safe CD.

National Democrats usually object. Though the safe CD, and stronger D state would result, it costs the presidential candidate a net 2 EV (assuming MD votes D). If the proposal creates 2 new CDs, as has been offered as legislation, then UT immediately gains a CD and there is net loss of 3 EV to the Democratic presidential candiadte.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2005, 08:45:57 AM »

It simply isn't economically feasible for a majority of them to pick up and move.  Remember what we're dealing with here: DC.  It's 90% black, the mayor does crack, he gets busted, and wins a council seat a decade later.

And you want to consider giving them statehood?  HAHAHA

Yes, I know all about DC's troubles.  I've lived/work here in Northern VA for the better part of 20 years.  People choose to live where they are and in their economic situation, and as long as the city keeps handing out federal dollars to the people, there is no incentive for them to get up and do something about their lieves. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies