King County City/Town Map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:05:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  King County City/Town Map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: King County City/Town Map  (Read 14966 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2005, 01:52:57 AM »

Includes CDPs!

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 02:00:54 AM »

As for they grey areas;

51.34 Kerry
47.24 Bush
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 02:28:10 AM »

Sweet.  Nice job.

I did the CDP estimates, by the way.  They're not 100% exact, but they are good enough.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 07:49:24 PM »

What's the blue bit next to Seattle?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 07:53:01 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2006, 09:55:34 PM by Alcon »

Yarrow Point, Medina, Clyde Hill, and Hunts Point - extremely affluent towns that trended heavily Democratic this year, but not enough to flip them.  Yarrow Point was quite close.  Medina (where Bill Gates lives) will likely be a battle in 2008.  Bush fell from 69% in 2000 to 64% in 2004 in Hunts Point, where the median household income is $180,000.  It only has a few hundred people, though.

By the way, Kerry won something like 50.6-47.2 in areas that aren't in incorporated cities or CDPs.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 08:04:40 PM »

THIS IS MEANINGLESS INFORMATION

DEAN LOGAN CAME UP WITH ALL RESULTS

KING COUNTY IS TEH SUCK
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 06:27:28 PM »

What were the results for Seattle?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 09:00:51 PM »

What were the results for Seattle?

Kerry won, 80.6%-17.9%.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 10:25:40 PM »

There's actually a big lake between those little blue cities and Seattle, but the census maps (what I used) do not show it.

But Alcon already explained what they are.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 11:44:06 PM »

Most of the places that voted for Bush in King County fit the average Bush voter, either being rural (Black Diamond, Maple Valley, Enumclaw) or affluent (Sammamish, Medina, Hunts Point). A few of the richer places were Kerry supporters, like Mercer Island, but I'm not very sure exactly why. In my city, Issaquah, a lot of people are Bush supporters, but a lot were Kerry supporters. To most of my friends who were Kerry supporters, the War in Iraq seemed to be the biggest issue, while the people I know who supported Bush cared a lot about the social issues like gay marraige and abortion. Overall the map makes plenty of sense, other than a few odd Kerry places like Skykomish.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 03:24:15 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2006, 03:34:14 PM by Alcon »

Most of the places that voted for Bush in King County fit the average Bush voter, either being rural (Black Diamond, Maple Valley, Enumclaw) or affluent (Sammamish, Medina, Hunts Point). A few of the richer places were Kerry supporters, like Mercer Island, but I'm not very sure exactly why. In my city, Issaquah, a lot of people are Bush supporters, but a lot were Kerry supporters. To most of my friends who were Kerry supporters, the War in Iraq seemed to be the biggest issue, while the people I know who supported Bush cared a lot about the social issues like gay marraige and abortion. Overall the map makes plenty of sense, other than a few odd Kerry places like Skykomish.

Skykomish is deeply weird.  Kerry received over 60 percent there, as well as in the surrounding Stevens precinct, which also includes the town of Baring near the Snohomish County line.  Across the line is the town of Index, where Bush lost almost 3-to-1.  I have no idea why - labour unions, maybe.  They aren't really poor areas.

Kerry probably won even among affluent people in Washington - he was generally victorious in even the richer parts of Bellevue and Redmond, and nearly broke 90% in the ultra-rich areas of Seattle around Broadmoor (although he lost Broadmoor, which is slightly less rich than surrounding areas, itself).
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 10:04:25 AM »

I like these Washington maps, its good to see sub-county level results for places out west.

Do any of you guys know why Lewis county is so different politically than the rest of Western Washington? Its not the only small county, those ones on Olympic peninsula are heavily Democrat.

Battle Ground is a great name for a town, its a shame they voted strongly for Bush though.

And is there any chance the large college population in Pullman will flip Whitman county to the Dems? They almost did it in 2004.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 02:45:51 PM »

I like these Washington maps, its good to see sub-county level results for places out west.

Do any of you guys know why Lewis county is so different politically than the rest of Western Washington? Its not the only small county, those ones on Olympic peninsula are heavily Democrat.

Well, Clallam County is Republican.  The reason Jefferson County is so liberal is because of the hippie town of Port Townsend and the surrounding, hippie-infested areas.  Port Townsend voted 3-to-1 for Kerry, despite being demographically identical to any other small town.

Clallam County is Republican because of Forks - which is also the reason Lewis County is Republican.  Agricultural/logging workers are angry about environmentalism in the state, and if they aren't in a union, they vote Republican.  Such is the case in Lewis County, which also has lots of farms (Republican) and socially conservative blue-collar workers in Centralia and Chehalis (also very Republican).

Battle Ground is a great name for a town, its a shame they voted strongly for Bush though.

And is there any chance the large college population in Pullman will flip Whitman county to the Dems? They almost did it in 2004.

Yeah.  This plus Whitman County's rural areas losing population astoundingly fast - 10 of the 11 fastest shrinking incorporated areas in Washington are in Whitman County.  All cities except for Pullman (growing moderately) and one other rural town (the Republican, but not extremely so, Garfield) are losing population at a significant clip.

If I had to guess, Whitman County will be a pure toss-up come 2008.

I'm still awaiting for precinct results for Whitman and one other county (Walla Walla).
bejkuy

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 07:34:52 PM »

Being that I am a resident of Lewis county allow me to add my 2 cents:

First of all, Lewis county has few commercial (full time) farms despite the fact that it is quite rural.  There isn't a lot of land suitable for agriculture here.  Basically the only "real" (not gentelman's or hobby) farms are dairy.

There is a strong forest industry here, but it is not larger that of neighboring Grays Harbor county which is reliably democrat.

The biggest employer in the county is the Steam plant and Coal mine which is Union.  (best paying job in the county by far.)

I've lived here 3 1/2 years and this place is by far the most conservative place both culturally and politically that I have ever lived.

Democrat is a dirty word here.  This belief is largely shared by rich and poor alike.

I can't really put my finger on why.

We are rural- so is Pacific, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor,and most other W. Washington counties.
We are timber dependant- See above list.
We are mostly white-see above list.
There aren't a lot of college graduates per capita- see above list.

The things that make a voter a republican in the rest of the country don't seem to consistently do the job in Western Washington.

Perhaps it is because of the many strong Bible-Believing churches in the area.  Lewis county boast a slightly higher than average church attendance compared to the rest of the state.  Even though the majority of the people aren't there on Sundays they are impacted by those who do.

Perhaps it has to do with the battle that the county has had and continues to have with the state of Washington over how our land should be devoloped.  The state is browbeating us into cramming everyone into cities rather than allowing people to build on 1 acre lots in the county.  Property rights be darned!  Burn barrels have been banned.  Mole traps have been banned.  People here associate Seattle liberals with those who force their way of urban way of life on us.  Just because a law makes sense in the big city doesn't mean it makes sense in the country.

Perhaps it is because we don't have a large Weyerhauser presence (compared to neighboring counties).  A hate Weyerhauser because they only care about the bottom line.  They have a well-deserved reputation for not caring about people.  They turn there employees into anti-capitalist who want to punish all employers. 

Lewis county is a great place for someone who wants to make a life for themselves with as little (local) government interference (both positive and negative) as possible. 

Hopefully my comments have shed light on the subject. 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 08:08:43 PM »

bejkuy,

Thank you for your insight.  Lewis County is, and has always been, the most politically interesting county in WA for me, even if it's nearly the same county-wide.

Here's a quick question for you:  why is Vader Democratic?  If you can answer that, it might shed some light on why the rest of the county isn't.

I've seen maps with surrounding counties (http://216.55.182.132/FairData/WA_Registration/map.asp) and bordering areas are much less Republican in nearly every case - except Paradise on Mt. Rainier, which is heavily Democratic.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 02:45:01 AM »

Thanks Bejkuy, those were some really interesting points you brought up.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 03:06:21 PM »

I seem to recall there's some wine growing too?

Is Lewis the only mining county in Western Washington? I know mining counties are usually more Democratic than the counties around them, but the presence of the mines may imply different demographic/migration patterns etc ... just a blind guess though ...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 03:27:17 PM »

I seem to recall there's some wine growing too?

Is Lewis the only mining county in Western Washington? I know mining counties are usually more Democratic than the counties around them, but the presence of the mines may imply different demographic/migration patterns etc ... just a blind guess though ...

Yeah, there is some wine growing.

Along with the mining and everything comes a much different lifestyle, though.  I think the mines are generally around Morton, which is a more moderate area than the county as a whole.

Mining counties may be more Democratic than other rural, blue-collar-ish counties, but in this case Lewis County is sandwiched between Thurston (Olympia), Pierce (Tacoma), Pacific (service industry, labour unions, and hippies), and Cowlitz (working class Kelso-Longview area with lots of labour unions).  Lewis County, for a rural county with the population that it has, is not exceptionally Republican.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 07:32:13 PM »

Does this help?

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 07:48:04 PM »

To be honest...not really.  Looks like silver mining around Morton.  What is the green colour?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 08:44:43 PM »

To be honest...not really.  Looks like silver mining around Morton.  What is the green colour?

No; the grey colour is bituminous coal, the light green is subbituminous coal (which generally has lower sulpher emissions, but isn't as good at actually burning. Due to environmental regulations subbituminous coal has had a wonderful decade or so in the U.S). The little red dots indicate coal that can be used for coking.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 09:02:10 PM »

No; the grey colour is bituminous coal, the light green is subbituminous coal (which generally has lower sulpher emissions, but isn't as good at actually burning. Due to environmental regulations subbituminous coal has had a wonderful decade or so in the U.S). The little red dots indicate coal that can be used for coking.

I got the impression (perhaps incorrect) that coal wasn't the primary thing being mined in Lewis County?  Again, something I know little to nothing about.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies