Pakistani Describes Killing of Daughters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:47:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What should be the punishment for this?
Slap on the wrist-his actions are understandable

Rehabilitate him

HAng his ass from the highest tree.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Pakistani Describes Killing of Daughters  (Read 936 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2005, 02:31:41 PM »

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:13 PM EST
The Associated Press
By KHALID TANVEER

MULTAN, Pakistan (AP) — Nazir Ahmed appears calm and unrepentant as he recounts how he slit the throats of his three young daughters and their 25-year old stepsister to salvage his family's "honor" — a crime that shocked Pakistan.

The 40-year old laborer, speaking to The Associated Press in police detention as he was being shifted to prison, confessed to just one regret — that he didn't murder the stepsister's alleged lover too.

Hundreds of girls and women are murdered by male relatives each year in this conservative Islamic nation, and rights groups said Wednesday such "honor killings" will only stop when authorities get serious about punishing perpetrators.

The independent Human Rights Commission of Pakistan said that in more than half of such cases that make it to court, most end with cash settlements paid by relatives to the victims' families, although under a law passed last year, the minimum penalty is 10 years, the maximum death by hanging.

Ahmed's killing spree — witnessed by his wife Rehmat Bibi as she cradled their 3 month-old baby son — happened Friday night at their home in the cotton-growing village of Gago Mandi in eastern Punjab province.

It is the latest of more than 260 such honor killings documented by the rights commission, mostly from media reports, during the first 11 months of 2005.

Bibi recounted how she was woken by a shriek as Ahmed put his hand to the mouth of his stepdaughter Muqadas and cut her throat with a machete. Bibi looked helplessly on from the corner of the room as he then killed the three girls — Bano, 8, Sumaira, 7, and Humaira, 4 — pausing between the slayings to brandish the bloodstained knife at his wife, warning her not to intervene or raise alarm.

"I was shivering with fear. I did not know how to save my daughters," Bibi, sobbing, told AP by phone from the village. "I begged my husband to spare my daughters but he said, 'If you make a noise, I will kill you.'"

"The whole night the bodies of my daughters lay in front of me," she said.

The next morning, Ahmed was arrested.

Speaking to AP in the back of police pickup truck late Tuesday as he was shifted to a prison in the city of Multan, Ahmed showed no contrition. Appearing disheveled but composed, he said he killed Muqadas because she had committed adultery, and his daughters because he didn't want them to do the same when they grew up.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 02:34:32 PM »

Why, that poll isn't biased in the least bit Cheesy
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 02:37:11 PM »

Clearly they are just misunderstood. We must have tolerance for alternative cultures man. That's just the way they do it over there. Who are we to say they are wrong?

Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »

So why didn't he kill his infant son, too? And his wife? And himself, for that matter?

What a snivelling, bloodthirsty bastard.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 06:54:43 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2005, 07:11:01 PM by phknrocket1k »

The anti-Honour-killings laws aren't enforced that strongly in Pakistan when they should be, this Islamization that was introduced in the 1980s during the Zia-ul-Haq era really screwed over the country in the long-run.

Supporting him was a terrible mistake that culminated in a huge viral terrorist mess all over Pakistan. There is probably a whole host of terrorist groups that can point to Zia and say that he gave them the breakthroughs that they needed.

I hope Musharraf can make some progress on this issue, he certainly has a lot on his plate concerning Afghanistan, Iran, India, Kashmir; though economically he is a top-notch leader with Pakistan having better prospects for growth, job creation and poverty reduction in nearly a decade.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 06:59:06 PM »

I'm afraid that one execution would not help to cure this infestation of religious.  I would suggest feeding all of the population to swine, or at least the male half (or what is it in those countries, the male 60% Wink ?)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 07:01:08 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2005, 07:07:51 PM by phknrocket1k »

I'm afraid that one execution would not help to cure this infestation of religious.  I would suggest feeding all of the population to swine, or at least the male half (or what is it in those countries, the male 60% Wink ?)

Pakistan is probably a bare female majority country.

The Gulf-Arab countries have extremely lopsided gender-ratios.  But this can be attributed to Pakistani and Indian males seeking work and than sending remittances back home.

This is the similar immigration pattern that occured with Pakistani immigration to Northern England. For example in Bradford where initially in the 1960s there were 89 females to 3,000 males, before Pakistanis actually chose to settle in the UK as entire family units instead of transitory male workers.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 07:04:05 PM »

Is there anything wrong with Pakistan that *wasn't* in some way Zia-ul-Haq's fault? (not been sarcastic here at all...)
Died in an *extremely* convenient plane crash IIRC...
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 07:09:05 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2005, 07:13:47 PM by phknrocket1k »

Is there anything wrong with Pakistan that *wasn't* in some way Zia-ul-Haq's fault? (not been sarcastic here at all...)
Died in an *extremely* convenient plane crash IIRC...

Well Nawaz Sharif/Benazir Bhutto have made mistakes but none that match the level of Zia. 

There is some interesting controversey surrounding the plane-crash actually. I'v heard that the pilots were Pakistani Shiite Muslims that took him out, similar to the Sikh-Indhira Gandhi mess in India nearly 4 years earlier.

Another story I'v recently heard is one that was brought up by the American ambassador to India that claimed that Israel by way of Mossad took out Zia.

Another story is that Iran or India played a hand, but I doubt that.

And no matter who played a role in it, they are true freedom fighters.

Well all that in mind.. Pervez Musharraf is by the best leader Pakistan has had since the 1960s/1970s.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 02:03:34 PM »

hang him
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies