Affirmative Action
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:20:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Affirmative Action
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is your stance party?
Favor (D)

Oppose (D)

Neutral/Tossup (D)

Favor (R)

Oppose (R)

Neutral/Tossup (R)

Favor (I/O)

Oppose (I/O)

Neutral/Tossup (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Affirmative Action  (Read 3993 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2005, 10:33:13 PM »

This issue has been preplexing me for quite some time.  I think that hard quotas are in fact racist, but many other provisions are definitely necessary to promote equality.  I answered Neutral/Tossup because this is not something I can take a solid stance on.  Am I alone?
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 10:42:47 PM »

It is a neutral plan to right past wrongs.  That said it has a limited timeframe of usefulness which is quickly fading.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 10:47:43 PM »

I oppose it.

I think it increases the racial divide and puts minorities at a greater disadvantage with the stigma it creates.

Rin-chan
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 11:35:36 PM »

strongly support, particularly in higher education.

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 12:46:22 AM »

Oppose.

While I can appreciate the notion that, for example, black people would respond well to successful black role models, more so than they would to seeing only successful white people (which would give the impression that only white people can be successful, dampening their spirit), I don't believe that simply saying "okay, let's hire x black people, y asians, z hispanic people, etc." will solve the problem.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 02:45:40 AM »

Gnereally oppose except for some instances of higher education because learning takes place outside of the classroom as well.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 03:34:53 AM »

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 06:55:02 AM »

I'm against it in principle, though in practice, I can support certain forms of it, within a limited timeframe.

I find it interesting how few people support it, even liberals.  How does something that is so unpopular continue?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 07:45:58 AM »

strongly support, particularly in higher education.

I don't see your vote in the poll, Mitty.   There are no (R) support votes there.

In fact it seems mine is the only pro-affirmative action up there at all at this point!
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 07:53:42 AM »

Strongly oppose. It is a form of racism.

If private universities or companies wish to use affirmative action, then I have no problem; I only object to governmental usage of the program.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 08:01:41 AM »

It is an anomaly, it 'affirms' nothing. It merely demeans those who it was designed to help by suggesting they did not get a position based on the talents but simply on their race/sex and so forth.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 08:13:51 AM »

The integration of American businesses through Affirmative Action has long passed it's usefulness.  Today, AA does more harm than good, by placing physical characteristics over actual skills and ability due to some arbitrary quota.  That is like giving a track runner a size 8 shoe when he wears a size 10 and expect him to win the race.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 08:15:41 AM »

I'm against it in principle, though in practice, I can support certain forms of it, within a limited timeframe.

I find it interesting how few people support it, even liberals.  How does something that is so unpopular continue?

This is a very, very different population than the U.S. as a whole - much more apt to be friendly to economic conservativism (even if many people here aren't economically conservative), as well as more apt to be friendly to social libertarianism.  In the U.S., affirmative action support is at something like 56 percent, I believe, depending on how the question is asked (always a caveat on issues like this).
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 08:23:13 AM »

Strongly Oppose
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 08:50:56 AM »

I think it's racist, and it hurts some white men who deserve a job, but can't get it because they're in the "majority."  This creates an even bigger racial divide.  I also think it takes away from minorities experiencing the feeling of actually achieving something, since every job they get they're gonna ask themselves "did I actually earn this job, or am I just here to meet a quota?"  I think with AA, everyone loses.

opebo to respond in 1... 2... 3...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 09:07:12 AM »

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 10:12:30 AM »

The integration of American businesses through Affirmative Action has long passed it's usefulness.  Today, AA does more harm than good, by placing physical characteristics over actual skills and ability due to some arbitrary quota.  That is like giving a track runner a size 8 shoe when he wears a size 10 and expect him to win the race.

the only thing weve successfully integrated is prisons.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 10:54:11 AM »

I oppose race-based affirmative action at the moment (however I wouldn't have done so in the '60's; like it or not it *was* needed then) but I support some form of class-based affirmative action in higher education. When we all have the same educational oppertunities as each other, then I would be opposed to that as well. But when bright kids are denied the oppertunity to reach their full potential due to an accident of birth, something should be done about it.
That said, I oppose using quotas.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 11:04:04 AM »

Strongly oppose all forms, and would have at absolutely any time in American history
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 12:52:15 PM »

I think it's racist, and it hurts some white men who deserve a job, but can't get it because they're in the "majority."  This creates an even bigger racial divide.

You assume a lot when you use the term 'deserve' a job.  Of course most jobs are not filled on a merit basis.  And white males are the dominant group in society, CheeseWhiz, regardless of whether they are a majority or not. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

THis would be a reasonable point, except that of course white males never 'deserved' jobs prior to affirmative action - they were hired to meet a quota: the quota was, no blacks, no women, and avoid Jews if at all possible.  What you need to do is jettison your libertarian notions of free markets and 'deserving' people recieving rewards, and remember all of this is about power.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 04:05:40 PM »

im very undecided on AA, and i dont think i will ever be able to truly take a side.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2005, 05:11:06 PM »

im very undecided on AA, and i dont think i will ever be able to truly take a side.

That's a good honest answer.  Smiley
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2005, 05:17:46 PM »

That's a good honest answer.  Smiley
Grin honestly, despite the fact that many of my fav. politicians favor AA (Sharpton, Mfume, Sanders[Wait, does Sanders?]) I still cant bring myself to see any good in it anymore.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2005, 05:25:57 PM »

You assume a lot when you use the term 'deserve' a job.  Of course most jobs are not filled on a merit basis.  And white males are the dominant group in society, CheeseWhiz, regardless of whether they are a majority or not.

By deserve I mean they can do a good job, better then anyone else seeking that job, regardless of race, color or creed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Roll Eyes I know how ever much I try and argue with you, I'll never convince you that we aren't all intolerant bigots, so I'm not gonna even try.  Besides, you're the biggest bigot I ever met, so what's the use trying to convince you most Americans aren't something that you are?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2005, 05:26:27 PM »

Neutral. There are groups of people who are disadvantaged based on systematic reasons, and policies should support equaling those reasons, however no one should be hired over someone more qualified. I suspect the fact that most members of this forum are white, and live in white neighbourhoods have something to do with the poll numbers. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies