2007 Gubernatorial Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:09:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2007 Gubernatorial Races
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2007 Gubernatorial Races  (Read 4083 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2005, 03:24:34 PM »
« edited: January 01, 2006, 05:24:58 AM by Adlai Stevenson »

Is it more or less fair to say that both Governors Kathleen Blanco (D-LA) and Ernie Fletcher (R-KY) are likely to be defeated in 2007 as Governor Haley Barbour (R-MS) is re-elected?

In the recent SurveyUSA - 50 State Gov Approval, Blanco ranked 47th in approval 63% Disaproval to 33% Approval while Fletcher ranked at 48th - 63% Disapproval to 31% Approval. By contrast, Barbour's ratings in Mississippi are 55%-38% in his favour. Thus it seems likely that Democrats and Republicans switch the Louisiana and Kentucky Governor's Mansions in 2007 while the GOP holds Mississippi.

Then, who do you think will be the likely winners in these contests in the two states? I guess in Louisiana a Democrat could challenge Blanco in the primary - Congressman Jefferson, Melancon or Lieutenant Governor Landrieu? In LA for the Republicans, both Senator David Vitter and Bobby Jindal would be the favourites. Jindal lost to Landrieu in 2003 and now serves in the District Vitter represented before he was elected in 2004. But both Landrieu and Vitter have only served since January 2005, which appears to be a very short amount of time before you decide to run for something else.

In Kentucky, like in Jindal, Representative Chandler, who lost to him in 2003 could challenge Fletcher. I think the Democratic bench in Kentucky is quite shallow, apart from Daniel Mongiardo or Ken Lucas who else is there with the statewide recognition?

What do you think?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 03:26:43 PM »

Landrieu is a Senator, not a governor.

But I pretty much agree with you. Blanco and Fletcher are likely to be defeated and Barbour is likely to be re-elected (although there's also a good chance he'll run for president).
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 03:29:35 PM »

Landrieu is a Senator, not a governor.

But I pretty much agree with you. Blanco and Fletcher are likely to be defeated and Barbour is likely to be re-elected (although there's also a good chance he'll run for president).

Sorry. Duh! I thought that might have gone wrong somewhere.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 03:53:10 PM »

Mitch Landrieu is the current Lt. Governor, and is Mary's brother.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 04:47:30 PM »

I did mention Mitch Landrieu in my post.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 05:53:21 PM »

I agree with you that both LA and KY have a high chance of switching parties.

In Kentucky, other than Chandler, State Treasurer Jonathan Miller is a potential candidate.  I think Miller's actually expressed interest before, even prior to Fletcher's scandals.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 06:09:54 PM »

Who is Montgardio? I don't know what to make of his close run at Bunning, should be one disappointed at his failing to defeat a senile, completely inept opponent or marvel at how close he came to beating a respected incumbent riding on Bush's coattails in a nowadays heavily Republican state?
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 03:01:32 AM »

Dr. Mongiardo would be well-advised to run, especially w/o Bush at the top of a ballot.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 08:26:36 AM »

What did this Fletcher guy do to make himself so impopular?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 01:12:03 PM »

Is it more or less fair to say that both Governors Kathleen Blanco (D-LA) and Ernie Fletcher (R-KY) are likely to be defeated in 2007 as Governor Haley Barbour (R-MS) is re-elected?

I’d probably agree, any incumbent Democrat would be at risk in Louisiana after the population shifts that where caused by Katrina and having received much of the blame for the ineffective response to the disaster Blanco’s position is impossible  though it should be noted that, in no small part thanks to “Ray - sh*t for brains - Nagin” endorsement of Bobby Jindal Blanco was in 03 not too dependent on the black vote in New Orleans, but that’s really besides the point, she’ll lose and she’ll probably lose to Bobby Jindal.

The best thing for the Democrats might be to oust Blanco and run Lt.Governor Mitch Landrieu instead he’s a solid campaigner, a Landrieu and not a discredited political force like Blanco – another possibility could be tempting John Breaux back to public life, he has mulled over runs for governor in the past and he might be convinced to run, what more if he ran he’d win.

In all likelihood though Blanco gets nominated and gets soundly beaten by Bobby Jindal.

In Kentucky it’s a totally discredited Republican incumbent who’ll probably be running and almost certainly be going down to defeat.

Who is Montgardio? I don't know what to make of his close run at Bunning, should be one disappointed at his failing to defeat a senile, completely inept opponent or marvel at how close he came to beating a respected incumbent riding on Bush's coattails in a nowadays heavily Republican state?

The Democrat’s in the state don’t have a bad bench, Ben Chandler ran for Governor in 03 and lost, then ran and was elected to congress and has been state AG and Auditor – perhaps the best qualified and most likely candidate, though he has become something of a leading figure within the congressional blue dog collalition and might not want to give up his prospects there.     

After Chandler there are two other potentially very strong candidates the former Lt.Governor Steve Henry and the current State Treasure Jonathan Miller both of whom would win fairly easily and as has been said Miller seems pretty keen to run anyway.

Dan Mongiardo is a guy who initially I wrote off, I though that he must have been a liberal gadfly who got lucky and ran a self-destructing candidate close by default – that’s simply not true, Mongiardo did very well in the race and was a canny campaigner throughout the race, where he to run for Governor I think he might well win But he would be a risk and he remains largely untested and when the Dems in KY can boast a deep bench of experienced candidates who would win I think it would be a risk best not taken – However I think that Mongiardo has a great future in the Democratic Party if he wants to pursues it, a run for another state wide office Sectary of State or State Treasurer would set him up well for a future run for higher office but 07 simply won’t and shouldn’t be his year.

Finally Mississippi, prior to Katrina Barbour seemed to in a tight fix but now after a huge surge in his popularity after his handling of the hurricane he seems to be doing ok… unfortunately while Katrina has permanently or at least semi-permanently shifted the political geography of neighbouring Louisiana, the impact on Mississippi’s political landscape has been more transitory and in 2007 Barbour’s conduct in the aftermath of the storm may seem like having been a long time ago.

I’d say that Barbour should probably win re-election but another factor that has to be taken into account is what happens should Trent Lott step down and Mike Moore win the Senate seat? This could embolden other strong Democratic figures in the state to run against him both AG Jim Hood (a protégé of Moore’s) and former Governor Ray Mabus are both thought to be tempted to run if the race seems competive and a potentially intriguing possibility could be that even if Hood and Mabus pass on the race State Supreme Court Justice James Graves might also run and while I know both Hood and Mabus, Graves apart from being well qualified, a Democrat, Black and interested in a run for Governor is pretty much a blank to me (Harry…help?)

So Mississippi as things stands now will probably be held by Barbour should he run, but that could change and it’s really to early to tell in contrast I don’t see how the incumbents in either KY or LA survive barring an unforeseen intervention (i.e. Breaux or Landrieu running in LA)         
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 07:51:32 PM »

I would definitely anticipate Barbour's reelection in '07 (though that's a long time away and a lot can happen...)

As far as a Democratic challenger, I really don't know...Mike Moore would be a good candidate, but he'll hopefully be a Senator by then.  If not, I wouldn't be surprised to see him running, but only if there's a chance Barbour loses.  Jim Hood is also pretty popular.  If Barbour seems unbeatable, it'll probably be someone black (I don't a black man will win governor in MS under many circumstances).  I've seen Graves before, and he's an engaging speaker, but I don't think it's in the cards for him.

In conclusion, bet on Barbour.  If Barbour looks beatable, I'd guess Moore, unless he's a senator, then maybe Hood or possibly someone else.  If Barbour looks unbeatable, probably a black sacrifical lamb.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 03:45:26 PM »

There is talk that Senator John Breaux would jump into the governor's race in 2007, but I've heard nothing definite on that, and probably won't for a while.  He would be the toughest to beat, in fact I doubt he could be beaten.  Mitch Landrieu would be stronger than Blanco, but he's yet to have a competitive race statewide (his Lt. Governor race was practically assured. He had several Republican opponents that were all underfunded and not a threat to him).

I think in all likelihood, Vitter will jump into the governor's race, and Jindal will run or be appointed to the Senate.  I have no doubt Bobby will want the job, but he deferred to Vitter in the 2004 Senate race, and anyway, he's younger and has the time to wait.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 03:56:18 PM »

There is talk that Senator John Breaux would jump into the governor's race in 2007, but I've heard nothing definite on that, and probably won't for a while.  He would be the toughest to beat, in fact I doubt he could be beaten.  Mitch Landrieu would be stronger than Blanco, but he's yet to have a competitive race statewide (his Lt. Governor race was practically assured. He had several Republican opponents that were all underfunded and not a threat to him).

I think in all likelihood, Vitter will jump into the governor's race, and Jindal will run or be appointed to the Senate.  I have no doubt Bobby will want the job, but he deferred to Vitter in the 2004 Senate race, and anyway, he's younger and has the time to wait.

Agreed if he ran Breaux would win, but I think it’s a long shot – then again many folks who quit public office often get the itch to return to it and Breaux has considered gubernatorial runs in the past, I think though for him to run Blanco would have to be convinced to step down and I have no idea even when its obvious she’ll lose weather she will want to do that.

Mitch Landrieu would be a better candidate than Blanco but so soon after Katrina I think he probably still lose to a credible GOP candidate and most likely will try to hang on to his post as Lt.Gov for a while yet, maybe run for Gov or Senate in the future.

I honestly don’t know about the dynamic between Vitter and Jindal, as a local you’re bound to have a better understanding than me, Vitter I find unimpressive but a yellow dog could beat Blanco in ’07! And the effects of Katrina only serve to make Vitter more secure at least for the medium term and probably assure the GOP of a gubernatorial win in ’07 unless, as we’ve discussed, Breaux steps in to save the day for the Democrats – however I don’t know that so soon after being elected to the Senate Vitter would be able to get away with running for Governor, so I think Jindal will probably be back and will beat Blanco.

The Dem should work hard to avoid open primary challenges to their existing office holders as well as doing their darndest to save Landrieu in ’08 that is if she’s not on the ticket. Interestingly while the near destruction of her New Orleans power base should mean Landrieu’s toast post Katrina polls show here approvals are pretty healthy so long as the Democrat’s national ticket doesn’t bomb in the South (a-la Kerry/Edwards) she could just survive, my advice to her would be to work the interior very hard and stay viable and she seems to be doing just that.                         
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 04:08:09 PM »

It's mostly what I've heard through the grapevine and read about in local media.  Vitter wanted to run for governor in 2003, but backed out.  Even though he ran for Senate, it seems he still has that ambition, perhaps to launch a presidential bid someday, since governors are more likely to win than senators.  I have no doubt that he or Jindal would beat Blanco, though.

Breaux can run whether Blanco backs out or not.  We have an open primary where all candidates can run together, and the top two vote getters compete in a runoff.  So Breaux can simply outpoll Blanco and make it to the runoff.  His age may be a factor though, he's now in his sixties, and has been in public office for so long he may want to keep earning money in the private sector.

I don't think Mitch can run for the Senate unless his sister retires or is defeated, since I doubt (in fact I'm almost certain) Louisiana will not tolerate two Landrieus as both their senators.  He may be the second choice if Breaux does not run.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 06:41:30 PM »

Breaux can run whether Blanco backs out or not.  We have an open primary where all candidates can run together, and the top two vote getters compete in a runoff.  So Breaux can simply outpoll Blanco and make it to the runoff.  His age may be a factor though, he's now in his sixties, and has been in public office for so long he may want to keep earning money in the private sector.

But i wonder if it would be seemly for Breaux to contest an election against an incumbent governor... though I’d be happy for him to try, I also wonder if there would be a run off at all, I can see Breaux easily getting 50%+ in a gubernatorial run the Democratic base would be sewn up and Breaux would have tremendous pull amongst independents and even the naturally republican “good o’ld boys” types who dominate the rural interior of the state.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Again I agree but I think Mary has an interest in running for governor some day and could even be on the Democratic Presidential ticket in 2008… either way I agree that you just couldn’t have two Landrieus as the state’s senators.

If anything I think Mitch will keep busy with domestic state politics – if he’s competitive post Katrina (which I think he should be) – and leave Mary to stick it out in the senate – again if she can remain competitive post Katrina.       
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 07:57:32 PM »

But i wonder if it would be seemly for Breaux to contest an election against an incumbent governor... though I’d be happy for him to try, I also wonder if there would be a run off at all, I can see Breaux easily getting 50%+ in a gubernatorial run the Democratic base would be sewn up and Breaux would have tremendous pull amongst independents and even the naturally republican “good o’ld boys” types who dominate the rural interior of the state.

No would care if it was unseemly or not. Blanco's unpopular, and Breaux is very much popular. He'd be a hero to many.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mary ran for governor in 1995, but got edged out of the runoff by Democrat Cleo Fields.  She's still pretty young and I'm sure she's still considered another run from time to time.  The problem for her is getting a good base to run again, and she's had very tough election fights in 1996 and 2002, and may not survive in 2008.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 05:13:37 AM »

Mary ran for governor in 1995, but got edged out of the runoff by Democrat Cleo Fields.  She's still pretty young and I'm sure she's still considered another run from time to time.  The problem for her is getting a good base to run again, and she's had very tough election fights in 1996 and 2002, and may not survive in 2008.

True, I say that as Landrieus both her and Mitch relied hugely on their connections with the democratic machine in New Orleans which is now effectively defunct there will still be a significant black, democratic inclined vote there but it won’t be as large or as organised as before.

The good news for Landrieu is that during the aftermath of Katrina she seemed to build up a lot of good will amongst a broader range voters than she had before and that’s been reflected in her solid approval numbers post Katrina, and if she can entrench and expand on that good will may well be the key to weather she is able to survive in 2008 or not. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies