Howard Dean's big endorsements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:53:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Howard Dean's big endorsements
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Howard Dean's big endorsements  (Read 5289 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2004, 02:16:23 PM »

As I've said before, this is the first primary season I've really paid any attention to (I'm only 20, so the last primary cycle, I didn't really care much), so bear with me if this is a completely stupid question.  Or feel free to smack me upside the head.  You're call.

It looks like Dean is going to win.  My question is, what do all his recent big name endorsements do?

Do Bill Bradley and Al Gore actually carry that much weight to ensure Dean a win in Iowa and elsewhere?
jravnsbo

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 02:51:02 PM »

Bradley doesn't do much.  he is fromthe liberal elites of the partya nd so is Dean.  Gore has moved towards this wing as well, even though he tried to run as a DLCers.  Gore's means a bit more as he did get the nominationa nd will campaign for Dean in Iowa and a certain level of respect goes with former nominees or Presidents on both sides.

Honestly though labor unions mean more in IA as it is all about organization, not just votes.

As I've said before, this is the first primary season I've really paid any attention to (I'm only 20, so the last primary cycle, I didn't really care much), so bear with me if this is a completely stupid question.  Or feel free to smack me upside the head.  You're call.

It looks like Dean is going to win.  My question is, what do all his recent big name endorsements do?

Do Bill Bradley and Al Gore actually carry that much weight to ensure Dean a win in Iowa and elsewhere?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 10:05:05 PM »

I think Bradley's endorsement helps Dean a little in the sense that it adds to a chorus of other endorsements from big name democrats and gives the (mistaken) impression that Dean is electable.
jravnsbo

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 10:32:11 AM »

best part of the endorsement is that Dean got the free media attention for another day.

I think Bradley's endorsement helps Dean a little in the sense that it adds to a chorus of other endorsements from big name democrats and gives the (mistaken) impression that Dean is electable.
00tim
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 12:18:11 PM »

None of Dean's endorsements have surprised me too much except Gore. I think he is rolling the dice on this one. He is also moving himself clearly into the left wing of the left wing party. If he is still thinking about a future candicacy he has an even tougher road ahead for him IMO
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 12:35:29 PM »

It's hard to figure where Gore is coming from, until you consider that he's allowing himself to be mis-handled by advisors just as he did in 2000. In 2004, however, his advisors have moved to the left, and as a group actually believe that Dean has the ability to create a resurgence in the party.

Gore has thrown away an enormous amount of credibility. In 1988 he was the most conservative of the so-called "seven dwarfs" seeking the Democratic nomination, and in 2001 broke with the party to cast the deciding Senate vote in favor of the Persian Gulf War.

He used to be my favorite active Democrat, but I must admit that after 9/11, I'm relieved he lost.
jravnsbo

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 02:40:31 PM »

Gore has definately changed over the years.  

He may be positioning himself for 2008, but unsure.  He missed his chance to shape the party when he was the nominee, and goinginto hiding afterwards.

It's hard to figure where Gore is coming from, until you consider that he's allowing himself to be mis-handled by advisors just as he did in 2000. In 2004, however, his advisors have moved to the left, and as a group actually believe that Dean has the ability to create a resurgence in the party.

Gore has thrown away an enormous amount of credibility. In 1988 he was the most conservative of the so-called "seven dwarfs" seeking the Democratic nomination, and in 2001 broke with the party to cast the deciding Senate vote in favor of the Persian Gulf War.

He used to be my favorite active Democrat, but I must admit that after 9/11, I'm relieved he lost.
DarthKosh

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 06:05:54 PM »

I think Gore want to run in 08 against Hillary.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 07:32:38 PM »

Now Howie's got Harkin.  That probably secures Iowa for Dean.  I can't imagine that Gephardt will be able to come back now.  Polls were already showing him between five and ten points behind Dean.  Now, with Harkin throwing his support behind Dean, Gephardt doesn't have a chance.
NorthernDog
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 11:01:42 PM »

Now Howie's got Harkin.  That probably secures Iowa for Dean.  I can't imagine that Gephardt will be able to come back now.  Polls were already showing him between five and ten points behind Dean.  Now, with Harkin throwing his support behind Dean, Gephardt doesn't have a chance.
I think endorsements do help because the candidate gets press coverage and it helps undecided people sort out who is supported by other elected officials that they may have voted for in the past.  I agree that Harkin is a big cahuna in a small pond, so his endorsement of Dean hurts Gephardt.  Also, Iowans aren't contrary like New Hampshire voters (who like to upset the apple cart).  BTW, no one really knows if endorsements truly help because its impossible to measure the effect.  
NHPolitico

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2004, 06:38:56 PM »

I think endorsements do help because the candidate gets press coverage and it helps undecided people sort out who is supported by other elected officials that they may have voted for in the past.  I agree that Harkin is a big cahuna in a small pond, so his endorsement of Dean hurts Gephardt.  Also, Iowans aren't contrary like New Hampshire voters (who like to upset the apple cart).  BTW, no one really knows if endorsements truly help because its impossible to measure the effect.  

Iowa's caucuses are almost totally different from the NH primary. Iowa puts a huge premium on supporter intensity and only Democrats can vote. It's easy to vote in the NH primary-- you don't even have to register until the day of the election-- and undeclareds have their votes counted with equal weight as the Democrat voter's vote.  It'll be a very strong sign for Dean if he can win in both very different environments.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2004, 06:44:17 PM »

I agree I think it gives them good press coverage... nothing wrong with that god publicy... however I think it matters only to certain people...
NHPolitico

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2004, 06:49:34 PM »

The big name endorsements is a statement of the establishment saying, "Fine, you're our nominee."  It's a statement of acceptance. They are resigned to the fact of it. They want to get on record as being on the bandwagon even if it's late in the game-- like becoming a Packers fan after they beat Philly today. : )

NHPolitico

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2004, 07:05:38 PM »

Dean's List (ha, that's kind of punny) of endorsements is pretty long and getting longer.

Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley just was added-- and he's the likely nominee against Ehrlich in 2006.

Also Reps. Hilda L. Solis, Neil Abercrombie, Xavier Becerra, Elijah Cummings, Joseph Crowley, Bob Filner, Raúl Grijalva, Maurice Hinchey, Jesse Jackson, Jr., Sheila Jackson-Lee, Zoe Lofgren, Jim McDermott, Jim Moran, Jerrold Nadler, Major Owens, Frank Pallone, Lucille Roybal-Allard, Tim Ryan, Loretta Sanchez, Robert C. "Bobby" Scott, Nydia M. Velázquez and David Wu

Sens. Leahy joins Harkin on the list of Senate and Gov. McGreevey, who is the governor of the 4th largest state governed by a Democrat (a very significant endorsement because of the large number of Democrat electors that will come from NJ).

There are others I have forgotten or thought not that significant.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2004, 08:20:52 PM »

NHPolitico can I get a E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2004, 08:24:58 PM »

Also, about the McGreevey endorsement. After he endorsed Dean and many others followed I dont know how much you can take that. McGreeveys numbers are very low, and he is going to face a possible tuff primary against Rob Andrews who supports Gephardt. Also Kerry has Pascrell who is popular, and St. Sen. Adler from South Jersey. I think Dean has another Congressional endorsement from NJ.
NHPolitico

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2004, 09:04:29 PM »

NHPolitico can I get a E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES?

I'm not even a Packers fan. I'll give you your due. McNabb is a great quarterback. I think they said he's rushed the most in the playoffs since the Super Bowl system began. He's the NFL MVP. The Eagles stink without him.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2004, 12:07:40 AM »

thank you, yeah mcnabb rushed for over 100 yards, which is the postseason record for the most by a QB. true they suck without mcnabb but they proved it last year tey could win without him. This was the best game of the eags year. we going to the ship whatt
jravnsbo

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2004, 02:08:47 PM »

The packers lost the game more than the eagles won it.

As for Ednorsements, they matter a little, but prominent ones like Harkin's in IA is a bit more significant.  He is the father of the dem party in IA and has a lot of organization and support.  I say it puts Dean over the top.

thank you, yeah mcnabb rushed for over 100 yards, which is the postseason record for the most by a QB. true they suck without mcnabb but they proved it last year tey could win without him. This was the best game of the eags year. we going to the ship whatt
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2004, 11:48:15 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2004, 10:35:45 PM by MAS117 »

Harkins endorsement helped Dean. However Deans numbers in Iowa are not going up, they are staying the same. Kerry, and Edwards numbers are rising. Edwards got the endorsement form the Des Moines rigester, and Kerry got it from the St. Atty. Gen and the First Lady of Iowa even though her husband the Gov. is staying neutral.
jravnsbo

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2004, 02:27:52 PM »

interesting with Vilsack's wife.  Almost like Gov endorsement, you know she talked toi him about it and all.  That's ok, Kerry needs a strong finish to bounce into NH.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2004, 10:37:37 PM »

I think Kerry can find a way to come in 2nd or 3rd and then finish strong in NH possibly ahead of Clark. Edwards is also moving up in Iowa. From what I hear that Vilsack is very well liked but her endorsement isnt going to influence many.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2004, 10:41:48 PM »

Kerry now has in Iowa a strong team of supporters from his national security team. He's using former Generals from the armed forces like Lt. Gen. Claudia Kennedy (Ret.) who was the highest ranking woman in the military ever, a couple former Asst. Secy. of State,Former Ambassador Joe Wilson, and the well liked former Governor Jeanne Shaheen. He also has a retired Brid. General
jravnsbo

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2004, 10:45:57 PM »

Kerry seems to be drowning in NH though, now only 1-2% ahead of Lieberman for 3rd, which would be a great boost for Lieberman and crushing to Kerry.

Kerry now has in Iowa a strong team of supporters from his national security team. He's using former Generals from the armed forces like Lt. Gen. Claudia Kennedy (Ret.) who was the highest ranking woman in the military ever, a couple former Asst. Secy. of State,Former Ambassador Joe Wilson, and the well liked former Governor Jeanne Shaheen. He also has a retired Brid. General
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2004, 11:22:22 PM »

Kerry seems to be drowning in NH though, now only 1-2% ahead of Lieberman for 3rd, which would be a great boost for Lieberman and crushing to Kerry.

True. But if he does good in Iowa will will give him that extra boost in NH. Lieberman doesn't have a shot, and plus him and Clark are the only ones in NH right now, everyone is shifting time and money into Iowa for the primary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies