U.S. presidential election, 1980
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:12:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. presidential election, 1980
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: U.S. presidential election, 1980
Jimmy Carter (D)

Ronald Reagan (R)

John Anderson (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: U.S. presidential election, 1980  (Read 2472 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2006, 12:26:50 PM »

Hard choice between Anderson and Carter.  I would have voted Ford in 76, but might have voted Carter in 80 just to stop Reagan.  Anderson was definately my favorite candidate, and I would have supported him when he was competitive, but once he dropped below 10%, I probably would have switched my support to Carter.

You may be one of two or three people in the whole country who would have voted against Carter in 1976, but for him in 1980. Cheesy  Obviously, you didn't live through his term as president.  There was practically nobody who supported him in 1980 who hadn't also support him in '76.

Believe me, I liked Carter a lot more in 76 than in 80, but my hate of Reagan on social issues is even greater.  I probably would have just voted Anderson or Clark or something, but voting Carter would have only been a protest to Reagan.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2006, 12:36:04 PM »

Hard choice between Anderson and Carter.  I would have voted Ford in 76, but might have voted Carter in 80 just to stop Reagan.  Anderson was definately my favorite candidate, and I would have supported him when he was competitive, but once he dropped below 10%, I probably would have switched my support to Carter.

You may be one of two or three people in the whole country who would have voted against Carter in 1976, but for him in 1980. Cheesy  Obviously, you didn't live through his term as president.  There was practically nobody who supported him in 1980 who hadn't also support him in '76.

Believe me, I liked Carter a lot more in 76 than in 80, but my hate of Reagan on social issues is even greater.  I probably would have just voted Anderson or Clark or something, but voting Carter would have only been a protest to Reagan.

Those social issues didn't figure into the 1980 election results that strongly.  When the economy is really bad, social issues are secondary.  Those issues are only paramount now because the economy has been relatively strong for so long.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2006, 12:45:55 PM »

Those social issues didn't figure into the 1980 election results that strongly.  When the economy is really bad, social issues are secondary.  Those issues are only paramount now because the economy has been relatively strong for so long.

Yeah, being there probably would have influenced my decision.  Though I can say I would be more likely to vote for Reagan in 80 than in 84.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2006, 01:29:24 PM »

Um, Reagan did almost nothing on social issues.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2006, 01:36:15 PM »

Um, Reagan did almost nothing on social issues.

I know.  He articulated them to fire up his base.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2006, 02:10:07 PM »

my mom says in 1976 when Reagan ran against Ford in the primary and barely lost she and my grandmother were glad, they though Reagan was way too conservative and like Goldwater .  Of course 4 years later they gladly voted for him over Carter.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2006, 02:13:49 PM »

my mom says in 1976 when Reagan ran against Ford in the primary and barely lost she and my grandmother were glad, they though Reagan was way too conservative and like Goldwater .  Of course 4 years later they gladly voted for him over Carter.

That was definitely true.  My mom supported Ford over Reagan in 1976 because she didn't think Reagan could win the general election because he was too conservative.  She was also afraid he would lose in 1980, and very pleased and relieved when he won.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2006, 10:10:26 PM »

Carter, though I'd consider Anderson if I lived in an uncompetitive state.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies