Roman Civil War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:01:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Roman Civil War
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who might you have supported?
Optimates (elitists)

Populares (populists)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Roman Civil War  (Read 1064 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2005, 02:50:46 PM »

In 133BC, the murder of the Tribune Tiberius Gracchus triggered events that would ultimately plunge the Roman Republic into civil war between two major factions:

The optimates http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimates and the populares http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populares

Who might have you supported?

Dave (currently addicted to Rome airing on BBC 2)

N.B. Pompey the Great was, basically, an optimate except for his period of alignment with Caesar and Crassus in the First Triumvirate
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 02:01:49 PM »

I really enjoyed this when I was doing Classical Studies. I would have supported the populares as they wished to extend citizenship.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 03:01:03 PM »

Optimates.

There is plenty of good and bad on each side.  The fall of the Republic and the birth of the Empire is full of flawed heros and complex personalities, which is what makes it so interesting.

I prefer the Optimates because they had real philosophical groundwork for their position, as opposed to the Populares, which seemed to be driven more by Caesar's personality.  Of course, personality trumps ideals in politics always, which is why the Optimates made the uncomfortable (especially to Cato and Cicero) decision to promote Pompey as an alternative.  Caesar won mainly because of the loyalty of his supporters, such as Marcus Antonius, who mostly put personal ambition above any ideal.  (Eventually, this is what got Caesar killed.)  The Optimates failed for the opposite reason: infighting among idealistic factions prevented Pompey from being an effective leader.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 06:11:05 PM »

Populares (normal)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 03:18:45 PM »

I voted Populares of course, but I really think both Pompey and Julius Caesar deserved to die of old age, or natural causes, or in battle, rather than at the hands of such treachery

Both Pompey and Caesar were men of distinction. Of course, among Romans, Augustus was probably my ideal though his step-grandson/grandson-in-law Germanicus would have made a splendid Emperor had he lived (which is more than I can say for that son of his)

Dave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies