MiT report on quality of electoral system
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:22:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  MiT report on quality of electoral system
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MiT report on quality of electoral system  (Read 750 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2009, 08:34:46 AM »

http://rules.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=InNews.MajorityNews&ContentRecord_id=f72bc608-5056-8059-76f6-97bcc0202f3d

WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer, Chairman of the Senate Rules and Administration Committee, announced Wednesday that, according to a groundbreaking new study conducted by leading election experts, as many as seven million registered voters were prevented or discouraged from casting their ballots in the 2008 election, demonstrating major malfunctions in the country’s election process.

“This report is beyond troubling. Hidden in the excitement of this past election was the fact that millions of voters, through no fault of their own, were shut out of this process due to fixable problems,” Schumer said. “More people than ever wanted to vote last year in a Presidential election that ignited greater interest than any election in decades. But for far too many of these energized voters, the trip to the polls ended in frustration, disappointment and disenfranchisement because of our flawed system of voter registration.”     

The report was released at a hearing of the Rules committee, which is the panel that oversees elections. The study--produced by the Cooperative Congressional Election Survey, led by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology--detailed that as many as 3 million registered voters were prevented from voting due to a range of administrative mishaps.  According to Stephen Ansolabehere of Harvard University, the study's lead author, those factors include: a failure to provide photo identification; a failure to record the voter’s name on the rolls at the time of registration; an accidental purging of the voter from the rolls subsequent to registration; or an error in the initial recording of the voter’s information so that their actual information does not match the voter list. Schumer said these issues, while often made accidentally, can have a troubling cumulative effect.

You know....I don't usually buy left-wing tales about "voter disenfranchisement" and the like.....and this article doesn't offer any support for "conspiracy theories", but I do think it's pretty frightening....especially the numbers given by the MiT.

I don't know all that much about the issue....and there are probably people here that can comment more accurately.

Seems at least, that despite these numbers, that it doesn't appear to greatly benefit one party....as pre-election polls, in 2004 and 2008, were almost entirely accurate.

Take Indiana as an example....Democrats said that picture ID laws would kill their chances as it would unfairly have an effect on low-income minorities, but IN had one of the strongest DEM trends in the country.

So....a couple of questions:

a.) Is this report accurate?
b.) If yes, what does it mean?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 08:39:31 AM »

Who really knows whats accurate anymore? So many groups are fighting for the long term control of this country (our Constitution is pretty much dead) it's hard to know who's propaganda is correct. However, I will say, that I've never had any problem at all voting and I don't know anyone that personally has.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 08:41:10 AM »

Who really knows whats accurate anymore? So many groups are fighting for the long term control of this country (our Constitution is pretty much dead) it's hard to know who's propaganda is correct. However, I will say, that I've never had any problem at all voting and I don't know anyone that personally has.

Yeah, agree in principle, although the MiT is pretty neutral, in my opinion. They killed a lot of 2004 conspiracy theories with a report back then.

I've never had a problem voting either, and I've heard lots of stories about people abroad having problems getting absentee ballots, but the ballots always get here on time and well.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 03:08:18 PM »

Good thing I live in a state where this type of crap is severely limited by the election laws. Not only do we have same day registration, no ID is required, you just need someone registered at the precinct to also say you live there.

When I voted whenever someone wasn't registered and didn't have the materials needed, they'd just ask someone in line if they'd sign the statement allowing that person to register. There always was someone who would.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 03:12:55 PM »

My bias here is that folks who oppose having an ID requirement to vote are not adverse to some vote fraud to help their team. It is quite irritating. F them all. Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 04:05:40 PM »

Good thing I live in a state where this type of crap is severely limited by the election laws. Not only do we have same day registration, no ID is required, you just need someone registered at the precinct to also say you live there.

When I voted whenever someone wasn't registered and didn't have the materials needed, they'd just ask someone in line if they'd sign the statement allowing that person to register. There always was someone who would.

Please tell me MN has some system in place to prevent outright fraud. What you just described is anarchy.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 11:00:08 PM »

a.) yes.
b.) do what BRTD said.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length