Where is Angus?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:06:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Where is Angus?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Where is Angus?  (Read 2297 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2006, 01:50:53 AM »

The blog's all but dead, yeah.

I'd have to say that Kiwis are the nicest people, though...but Aussies are more fun. New Zealand really is the end of the world; maybe that's why it was chosen for LOTR.

Yeah, 6000th was sillyness. I recall being very tired at the time and whated to make some kinda statement.

I've chosen Argentina because it's bloody cheap. Bus ticket is 35c US. That's maybe 45c Aussie, but still bloody cheap. I'll stay in a hostel for two weeks, get my feet on the ground and rent.

RE:languages. I'm not going to go with Arabic-if I end up in DFAT (think Sate Department) I would rather minimise my chances of being put into Riyadh. I know some basic French and io'll learn some Spanish before I head over; hopefully I'll be reasonably good at it by the time I leave. I don't want to spend all my time with other backpackers; I know it's cliche but I want to 'find myself' or whatever whilst i'm completely lost in a foreign country. Straight into the deep end, as they say. Better then emerging from high school, going to uni and then going straight into being a yuppie, anyway. I couldn't stand to spend all day in a hostel with a couple of germans who don't bathe, an American who can't understand why they don't serve Bud in Buenos Aires and his girlfriend who has been crying for the last week because there isn't a GAP in the suburb, and a couple of Englishmen making fart jokes and complaining loudly of their sunburn even though it's September. Then again, there's always the customary Kiwi/Aussie that's on every plane, in every hostel and on every walking tour to chat too. There's an unfortunate tendency for them to drink a bit too much, though. But not as much as the English.

I plan to arrive in early July. If it all goes as I expect, it'll be just in time to see Australia beat Argentina in the World Cup final. Maybe that'll hurt my chances of saying (with different words of course) "I'm Australian. Isn't that funny? Give me food for free." Then again, we did knock out Uruguay and that's got to be worth something, if not in Argentina then at least in Brazil.
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2006, 07:34:17 AM »

Don't like Cambodia do ya?  I'd think that's just your sort of place.  Brutal murdering of religious folks, suppression of spirituality, imprisoning monks and nuns, and general outlawing of religious worship.  When Pol Pot came to power in 1975 there were about 20 thousand Buddhist monks in Cambodia.  five years later there were less than a thousand. 

Ancient history, Angus - I was referring to the Cambodia of the late 1990's through the present day.   And I loved the Cambodia of the 1990's, which is why the new Americanized version is so tragic.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, completely wrong, Angus - it is the Religious Right that is causing the crackdown on prostitution worldwide.  Think about it for a moment - they have the political power, while feminists and that sort have none whatsoever.  Also to the point - the crackdowns have all occurred since Bush's election.  Eradicating sex became a priority of the State Department at that time - the issue was only given lip service back in Clinton's day. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies