Communist Rebels end cease-fire in Nepal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:21:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Communist Rebels end cease-fire in Nepal
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Communist Rebels end cease-fire in Nepal  (Read 1019 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2006, 12:28:27 PM »

This article is sure to get BRTD horny. Cheesy

Click Here For Full Story

KATMANDU, Nepal - Communist rebels in Nepal announced Monday they would end a four-month cease-fire, saying they had to take up arms to defend themselves against government attacks.

The rebels declared a three-month cease-fire in September, offering a chance to end a civil war that has killed more than 12,000 people. They extended the cease-fire by one month in December.

But the government has refused to negotiate with the rebels, saying it is unconvinced they are serious about bringing about an end to the conflict. It also has clashed sporadically with rebels during the cease-fire, and has referred to the militants as terrorists.

"We want to make it clear that we have been compelled to break the cease-fire to defend our fighters and resume offensives," said the rebel leader Prachanda, who goes by one name.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 11:50:01 AM »

Stupid Communists, should help the government kill them and then make them more democratic.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 11:53:15 AM »

Stupid Communists, should help the government kill them and then make them more democratic.

hahaahahahhaa, you think that government is committed to democracy at all? There will be no democracy in Nepal until that fascist King falls.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 11:54:33 AM »

hahaahahahhaa, you think that government is committed to democracy at all? There will be no democracy in Nepal until that fascist King falls.

Did I say that? NO, I said get rid of the Communist problem and then make the government more democratic.

Read and understand before you post, thanks.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 11:55:52 AM »

The US isn't capable of just magically turning any government it wants democratic.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 11:57:02 AM »

The US isn't capable of just magically turning any government it wants democratic.

There's this little thing called force that can help. And the other thing called Communism that doesn't. But of course it all takes time.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 12:06:10 PM »

There's this little thing called force that can help. And the other thing called Communism that doesn't. But of course it all takes time.

The US could never invade Nepal being so bogged down in Iraq, not to mention that'd it go over like a lead balloon in the US (and probably wouldn't succeed, you need to learn about Nepal's terrain)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 04:20:12 PM »

You are a fascist, jedi, but a very foolish one.

What is the point of beating up on Nepal?  Save your aggressions for richer pickings.. like Poland or Iraq.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 07:03:42 PM »

What is the point of beating up on Nepal?  Save your aggressions for richer pickings.. like Poland or Iraq.

You're the fascist, you'd go after it for advantage. I'd go into Nepal because it would be the right thing to do. Saving the people from Communism and then making the country democratic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 12:03:05 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2006, 12:10:33 AM by Left of the Dial »

You're the fascist, you'd go after it for advantage. I'd go into Nepal because it would be the right thing to do. Saving the people from Communism and then making the country democratic.

The people don't want the US in Nepal. That's why the communists have so much support. They want US businesses out and to quit exploiting the country. Their most common action is to bomb or forcibly shut down Coca-Cola factories. That's what about 90% of the communist supporters care about, not strict adherance to ideology. I saw a picture of a communist rally, and there was this really cute girl sitting in the front, she looked about my age and quite normal actually, she was wearing a pink T-shirt and jeans, just like a typical girl my age, not some type of bloodthirsty communist. You are clearly misinformed of the situation there. You also are quite misinformed of why the US CAN'T go into Nepal, aside from the facts that the US is too bogged down in Iraq, that US voters don't want to see more American soldiers sent off to some country they are hardly familiar with that poses absolutely no threat to the US (hmm, sounds like Vietnam), and the terrain of Nepal (there's a reason even the British at the height of their empire couldn't colonize it you know), there's the simple fact neither India or China would allow the US to stage such a operation from their territory, and there is no other way to do so.

Also something that should make opebo happy: There is a rather large movement to legalize prostitution in Nepal. The basis largely is that it would help the economy massively and greatly increase tourism. As it is now I bet the legal status of prostitution is similar to in Thailand or the Philippines, on the list of international strip clubs site I check out, I found 3 in Nepal, all in Kathmandu, and they all have "Massage" in the name.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies