Democratic Party Platform (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:33:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Democratic Party Platform (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic Party Platform  (Read 9698 times)
migrendel
Italy

« on: May 16, 2004, 11:02:53 AM »

I oppose the affirmative action plank, which uses a semantical argument about discrimination to deter us from achieving the ultimate goals of civil rights. In order to get beyond racism, we must first take account of race. There is no other way. And in order to treat some persons equally, we must treat them differently. We cannot-we dare not-let the Fourteenth Amendment perpetuate racial supremacy.

I believe our welfare plank demonizes the poor by degrading their chosen way of life. We condone the potential starvation of a desparate family at a social worker's whim or caprice. I support a plank which explicitly opposes welfare reform, and supports restoring it to an entitlement as it was before the 1996 law.

We need to clarify our abortion plank by adding language which would oppose the recently enacted Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act.

I also believe we need language supporting a national system of healthcare.

P.S. StevenNick, I've read your platform. You would redefine federalism to the point of robbing the federal government of all efficaciousness. I scarcely think your combination of Calvinist morals and government parsimony would better serve our nation.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 06:17:06 PM »

I plan to oppose this class based affirmative action plank, especially in light of Brown's fiftieth anniversary tomorrow, with all that I can muster.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 06:40:36 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2004, 09:42:22 PM by migrendel »

Certain parts of the revised platform simply won't do.

I cannot stand to see the rights of women treated with such impunity as to the results of such an invidious attempt to revise them. Roe is far too narrow to adequately serve the interests of womankind, and I am compelled to urge a change. A third of the pregnancy goes unprotected with Roe. The viability rule means that the right to an abortion will be thrust into a legal grey area based upon changes in medical science. That decision was a major step forward for reproductive rights, but now is the time to take a further step. In addition, I cannot conceive of our platform turning a blind eye to the continuing life of such travesties as the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act and Laci and Conner's Law.

It will be fifty years since Brown tomorrow. Fifty years, and we have made progress. But I see that progress as halted. Many within our party wish to do away with the necessary and equitable institution of affirmative action. I fear for the future. The signs are very ominous, and a chill wind blows. We can only continue our long journey towards equal treatment under the law with affirmative action. I do believe there is discrimination based upon class, and we must fight that as well. But we mustn't use that as an imperative to disregard the fact that our nation has unfinished business with race. I plead with you, spare us from having to make up for ground lost in our war against racism. Let us continue to go forth, using what means are necessary, including affirmative action and busing. Please, preserve us from the past we have fought to escape from. Our future is in your hands.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 06:53:50 PM »

Also, we must ensure that capital punishment exists nowhere, and same-sex marriage everywhere. We cannot give states an option as to whether they can be fair or not.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 06:59:11 PM »

I fail to see the link between Communism and concern about social conditions. But it did come from StevenNick, so it can't be taken seriously.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 09:22:47 PM »

I will not oppose most of this platform. It is generally a common sense, progressive document. However, I will do my best to defeat certain portions of the document that I feel are not in the best interests of the forum.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 03:53:01 PM »

I shall not win these debates. But I do wish to be remembered for posterity that I supported the rights of women, racial and sexual minorities, and the poor. These people need our help more than these so-called "working Americans" because they will forever be impaired in the minds of some because of happenstance. It has been put in the platform that we oppose any person living on welfare indefinitely. Do we really wish to condemn an alternate lifestyle practiced by some? Should we be judging? It is also stated that we support most provisions of the 1996 law. Do we wish to support such a cruel and mean-spirited attempt to remove a cornerstone of the New Deal, which so many Americans have depended upon in times of great calamity.

I must reiterate my opposition to our abortion and same-sex marriage planks. In the law, it should not be an option to restrict a person's rights. We have denounced reproductive autonomy, and the right to decide one's spouse. It shows precious little respect for liberty. I cannot allow for that in good conscience.

I also feel that our affirmative action plank is heinous. After fifty years, can we support such a measure, that would reduce Brown to the status of a broken promise?

This is my final word in this matter. If certain concessions are not made, I shall change my partisan affiliation to United Left. I cannot support such injustices within my own party.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 04:06:37 PM »

Also, Ben, how do we "radical leftists" not care about ordinary working Americans? We support the most comprehensive social insurance and labor policies of anyone.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 04:23:24 PM »

Well, good. If my proposed revisions aren't put into place, I shall be a Democrat no longer.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 08:39:42 PM »

How many times must I explain it? My theory of Constitutional liberty, which protects an absolute right to decide whether or not a pregnancy shall be continued, does not base the decision upon fetal interests because under the above theory, fetuses have no rights that we as a society are under obligation to protect. I suppose we need courts to declare  fetal status equivalent to that of Dred Scott, but in this case it would be for the best. Now, just because you stridently disagree with my views on abortion doesn't mean that I haven't posited a coherent legal theory to support it.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 09:11:00 PM »

I hereby sever my affiliation with the Democratic party and change my support to United Left. I simply cannot be part of a party where we forget who we represent, the ideals we allegedly believe in, and where people like Ben have sway over the policy over the supposedly more progressive organization.

I shall still vote for Nym come the election, for he is a fine president, but no longer will I be part of this. No longer will I support the party of Boss Tweed's abortion bill, Ben's judgment of the morals of an individual, and class based affirmative action. I have declared my conscience, and I shall go forward from this group. No longer will I tinker with those who place liberty and equality second and moral condescencion first.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 02:57:03 PM »

Well, fine. Stifle them under your oppression. Let them follow your path, which leads to a form of uprightness that descends into monotony and excruciating boredom. But I want no part of this horrible party.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies