Immigration? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:10:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Immigration? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Immigration?  (Read 14042 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: May 16, 2004, 01:34:54 AM »

Note, this has nothing to do with what to do with illegal or legal immigrants currently in the country.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 01:40:26 AM »

I'm inclined to the lowering the minimum wage option.  Look what immigration did for us after the Civil War until we started implementing quotas.  It was fine when we said that prostitutes and felons couldn't come here, but not when we said Italians and Southeast Europeans couldn't.

The Irish all eventually worked their position up too.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 11:20:03 AM »

And are you going to tell us what you would do?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 11:21:34 AM »

I think we should have an open border policy with the other first world English-speaking nations(UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand). They would integrate into our society at a much faster pace, and we would all benefit. Other than that, I say keep immigration as is.

Many countries can speak better English than the average American, such as the Netherlands and Sweden.  I'd be tempted to do this with all of the first-world countries if I were to implement a plan like this.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 02:12:45 PM »

Well, a ten foot concrete wall from Texas to Sout hern California...I'm not sure.  I believe this is Pat Buchanon's position.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 06:07:13 PM »

I intentionally didn't deal with a plan to deal with illegals who are already here, because it's completely seperate from what to do with immigration quotas and whatnot.

I can support building a wall and deporting all illegals or support decreasing immigration overall and deporting all illegals etc.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 07:14:40 PM »

Good point, perhaps I should have seperated the poll further to just include legal or illegal immigration.

Does your legal immigration plan significantly decrase the current immigration quotas?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 09:39:40 PM »

I suppose you favor the wall then, heh.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 05:46:04 PM »

Completely opening borders and elimination of the minimum wage are both excellent, if unrelated, ideas.  

Eliminating minimum wage only for non-citizens is what the post is referring to.  Having an open border but a consistant minimum wage would cause 40% unemployment, which would be bad.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies