Immigration? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:39:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Immigration? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Immigration?  (Read 14046 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: May 17, 2004, 03:58:07 AM »

In my heart of hearts, I consider all and any restrictions on people's movements as heinous and illegal. Remove all borders whatsoever!
Okay, okay, I know, not practicable, dangerous, not going to happen anyway...Still, as little immigration restictions as possible.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 10:35:08 AM »

There is no reason why the US should refuse immigrants. It is after all a nation of immigrants. The same goes for Canada, Australia and NZ. Immigration in Europe is more contentious. It's heavily populated already and has been monocultural for centuries. This makes it harder for the resident population and the immigrants to integrate.
Europe monocultural? No way.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 11:16:19 AM »

Until the 1950's, England was very monocultural. OK, it was historically a mix of different Europeans, Danes, Germans, French etc. but it was virtually 100% white.
Now some cities such as Leicester are 40% visable minority.
I thought the English don't consider England a part of Europe?
Anyways, even before South Asians etc from the 50s on, there was Italian and Eastern European (mostly Jewish) mass immigration to Britain in the 19th century. Not to forget Irish and Highland Scots - not exactly monocultural!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 11:23:50 AM »

Hmm, there were small numbers of Italian & Irish immigrants yes, but it hardly compares to the composition of the UK now does it? In any case, I am in favour of multiculturalism.
Aye it does.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 04:16:05 PM »

I think we should mobilize the Natioanal Guard along the Mexican boarder. Let the legals come through from Mexico but just shoot the illegals on site. It'll slow down the immigration a lot and I know that!

Let Canada be open though, hardly anyone comes in from there.

I can see a time in the far, far future where illegal Mexicans are trying to get accross the Canadain boarder!
That would take app. 7 seconds.
And the only ones to gain would be Canadian criminals.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 04:35:48 PM »

I think we should mobilize the Natioanal Guard along the Mexican boarder. Let the legals come through from Mexico but just shoot the illegals on site. It'll slow down the immigration a lot and I know that!

Let Canada be open though, hardly anyone comes in from there.

I can see a time in the far, far future where illegal Mexicans are trying to get accross the Canadain boarder!

If you can get into canada, then it's a lot easier to get into the USA.  My second roomie in college was an illegal immigrant from Iran.  He came to Canada legally, then got into the US illegally from there.  Many of his friends had come to Mexico first, then to the USA from there.  They're coming friend.  You can either burn your money (and mine!) or accept that globalism is here to stay.  Free markets require open borders.  when all the sh**t jobs are taken there will be no incentive for illegals to keep coming and a new equilibrium will be established.  It's really very simple.  (unless you start to offer socialized medicine and welfare and such, then it's like asking for trouble.)  
The biggest trouble-asker though is skewed terms of trade.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It takes people time to notice. Lots of time. Decades. Mass immigration is here to stay. And all that your - and our, who are worse - politicians do about it just kills hardworking decent folks and feeds smugglers.

"People should be able to come and go, if they can afford it."
  --Harry Browne
The second part of that nicely sums up what's wrong with Libertarians.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies