Immigration? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:27:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Immigration? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Immigration?  (Read 14035 times)
English

« on: May 17, 2004, 04:28:52 AM »

I went for Option 4. Reduce immigration from 'bad' countries. I have nothing against educated immigrants coming to work in Britain, however I am opposed to non-english speakers with no skills. What can they offer?
English

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 05:23:07 AM »

Well, the UK is overpopulated in my opinion. We also have enough unskilled labour of our own without importing it from abroad!
I believe the UK should have a point system regarding immigration. Having family in Britain, speaking English & having a degree, skills etc. should earn the most points. Those who cannot speak English and have no qualifications should get no points. People with criminal records should be barred entry completely.

Regarding Asylum, I believe we should grant asylum to those in need, however they should be required to leave when their country of origin is declared safe. There should be no option of being able to stay indefinately.

Also I would relax the laws on immigration on US/Canadian/Australian & NZ citizens. I have no problems whatsoever with a New Zealander coming to live in Britain.
English

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 06:14:52 AM »

If you think the UK is chockablock, there is always room for another pommie down here to bag whenever we cream you in cricket.

(how many americans can interpret that? Cheesy)

No Thanks! There's too many creepy crawlies & poisonous stuff in Oz! The spiders in England are big enough, I don't think I could cope with Tarantulas! Smiley
English

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 10:33:24 AM »

There is no reason why the US should refuse immigrants. It is after all a nation of immigrants. The same goes for Canada, Australia and NZ. Immigration in Europe is more contentious. It's heavily populated already and has been monocultural for centuries. This makes it harder for the resident population and the immigrants to integrate.
English

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 11:01:25 AM »

Until the 1950's, England was very monocultural. OK, it was historically a mix of different Europeans, Danes, Germans, French etc. but it was virtually 100% white.
Now some cities such as Leicester are 40% visable minority.
English

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 11:21:18 AM »

Hmm, there were small numbers of Italian & Irish immigrants yes, but it hardly compares to the composition of the UK now does it? In any case, I am in favour of multiculturalism.
English

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 11:42:30 AM »

Well, we'll just have to disagree on that.
My point is, the UK is not a nation of immigrants, whereas the US is. I'm not being devisive, it's just a fact. Most people in the British Isles (60%+?) could probably trace their roots back to 13th century Britain. Perhaps earlier.
99% of Americans have roots in another country. Be that 18th century Spain, 19th century Sweden or whatever.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies