What if Gore/Graham in 2000?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:21:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What if Gore/Graham in 2000?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Gore/Graham in 2000?  (Read 2118 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2004, 07:53:44 AM »

Somewhere I read that Florida Senator Bob Graham was on Al Gore´s VP shortlist in 2000. Would Gore have won Florida* and as a result the whole presidential election with Graham (instead of Lieberman) as his running mate?

*note: either Gore´s victory in Florida had be so clear that the whole recount affair never occured or somehow Gore had emerged as the winner of the recount
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 07:59:04 AM »

Yes
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 08:09:34 AM »

Yes

Although I don't remember Graham being discussed for VP.
UK Stu
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 08:33:23 AM »

I guess he would because dropping Lieberman wouldn't have cost Gore any states that he won in 2000.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 08:37:52 AM »

The reason that FL was so close in 2000... was thanks to Donna Brazil getting every living and some dead democrats out to vote and Lieberman spending most of his time their galvanising the Jewish vote... with Graham on the ticket the Jewish turnout is lower but still favours gore by a very wide margin but many FL moderates and conservative democrats rather than vote for Bush vote for graham so a slim Gore win in the state by say 1-2%...
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »

Would Gore have won Florida* and as a result the whole presidential election with Graham (instead of Lieberman) as his running mate?
Almost certainly Yes. After all, Graham would have almost certainly energized a much greater percentage of Florida's population than the 5% of Florida's population (as in, the Jewish 5%) that Lieberman energized in real life.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »

Yes

Although I don't remember Graham being discussed for VP.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_vice_presidential_candidate_selection,_2000
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 09:22:52 PM »

I guess he would because dropping Lieberman wouldn't have cost Gore any states that he won in 2000.
Eh ... to be fair, the butterfly effect might have flipped an extremely close state such as New Mexico to Bush in this scenario.

However, if the Gore-Graham ticket would have lost New Mexico and one other very close state (Iowa, Wisconsin, or Oregon) that the Gore-Lieberman ticket won in real life, then the Gore-Graham ticket would have still won the U.S. Presidency in 2000 if it would have won Florida (which is extremely likely, in my honest opinion).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies