your religion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:07:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  your religion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: "                   "
athiest

agnostic

theist-yet not religious

Christian

religion other than Christian

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: your religion  (Read 17783 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 10:52:50 PM »

Christian - Episcopalian (currently, American branch of the Anglican Communion).
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 10:54:21 PM »

Agnostic.

Christian should be split between WWJD and George W Bush/Pat Robertson "Christians."

The George W Bush/Pat Robertson "Christians" have more in common with radical Islam than with Jesus.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2006, 11:07:47 PM »

Agnostic, but Jewish in practice.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2006, 11:25:07 PM »

Apathetic agnostic.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2006, 12:00:59 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2006, 12:04:39 AM by Left of the Dial »

Christian-Evangelical Lutheran
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2006, 02:49:54 AM »

Catholic who disagrees with the church's stances more than agree
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2006, 03:11:32 AM »

I don't understand 'Atheistic Agnostic'... it's like saying "I'm not indecisive enough to be a mere agnostic, so I'll add 'atheistic' to my self-description to be even more indecisive!"

A thing I read had four designations, actually; they were as follows:

Gnostic theist - There is a god, and I know that there is a god.
Agnostic theist - I think that there is a god, but I'm not sure.
Agnostic atheist - I don't think that there is a god, but I'm not sure.
Gnostic atheist - There is no god, and I know that there is no god.

To be "gnostic" means that you think you know something as a certainty; to be "agnostic" means that you don't think you know something as a certainty.

I have bad memory-sorry Gabu.  I'd qualify as a theist as well.
I have to question those definitions though.  I mean, agnostic theist and agnostic athiest--kinda the same thing?  Either way you're unsure.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2006, 07:54:14 AM »

Christian (Roman Catholic)

Has anyone else run into this?

This happens to me often.  When someone asks me what church I go to, I answer Catholic.  I have had so many respond, "I'm not Catholic, I'm Christian."  Which, of course, gets them a lecture on Christian history from me.

But when I ask what religion someone is, far too many respond with denomination instead of the broader religion.

Yes, the ignorance of certain people is almost enough to take my breath away sometimes.  To be a Christian, claim to know the first thing about the religion, and then imply, either through ignorance or prejudice, that Catholics aren't Christian is almost unbelievable.

I am a Christian, and a Catholic.  Do I believe everything the church says, or agree with every stance the church has taken in the past?  No.  But I am a Catholic nonetheless.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2006, 12:08:08 PM »

Christian: Protestant
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 07:14:24 PM »

I consider myself Christian, but I'm not very active. Kind of theist, I guess as well.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2006, 07:19:47 PM »

I have to question those definitions though.  I mean, agnostic theist and agnostic athiest--kinda the same thing?  Either way you're unsure.

You're unsure, but it's a lot along the lines of "Democratic-leaning independent" and "Republican-leaning independent".  You're not sure, but you have a hunch one way or the other.  For example, I'm an agnostic theist.  I think that there is a god, but I'm not 100% certain of this fact.  I am not, however, an agnostic atheist, because that would require me not to think that there is a god.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2006, 07:36:48 PM »

I'm a papist.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2006, 01:05:55 PM »

I'm Jewish, which explains how a white guy in the South can be a partisan Democrat.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2006, 01:21:37 PM »

Same.

Rin-chan
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2006, 10:04:23 PM »

Catholic who disagrees with the church's stances more than agree

Out of curiosity, why would anyone beong to a church they don't agree with. It seems grossly counter-intuitive to me. Although I currently attend a Methodist church, I don't consider myself one because I have many qualms about the leadership (a bunch of feminists from New York) and doctrines (whatever works for you is fine) of the church.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2006, 10:09:41 PM »

Atheist
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2006, 10:16:33 PM »

Christian. I have been challenged on this because I'm not a regular churchgoer, yet I really think one has to view things case by case and not exclude someone just because they are not a regular churchgoer.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2006, 10:16:52 PM »

Agnostic.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2006, 10:19:57 PM »

Christian. I have been challenged on this because I'm not a regular churchgoer, yet I really think one has to view things case by case and not exclude someone just because they are not a regular churchgoer.
I still fail to understand how church is a requirement for being 'Christian'. I stopped attending church a while back, and ever since then people have complained that I am not fulfilling my duties.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2006, 10:24:08 PM »

I still fail to understand how church is a requirement for being 'Christian'. I stopped attending church a while back, and ever since then people have complained that I am not fulfilling my duties.

A lot of it depends on what kind of church we're looking at. Some churches can be more counterproductive than productive, and I had a bad long-term experience with one of those, whose effect was to push me away from God not toward him.

I would try harder to find a church that fits me today except for my extreme social anxiety, which prevent me from doing a number of other things as well.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2006, 10:27:13 PM »

What made you two quit going?

I've never liked going to church, and I don't plan to any longer than I have to.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2006, 10:29:24 PM »

A lot of it depends on what kind of church we're looking at. Some churches can be more counterproductive than productive, and I had a bad long-term experience with one of those, whose effect was to push me away from God not toward him.

I would try harder to find a church that fits me today except for my extreme social anxiety, which prevent me from doing a number of other things as well.
Indeed. Furthermore, one does not need to attend a building to worship. If the organisation ends up being distracting or otherwise detrimental, it's probably best to simply stay at home and pray, or read the Bible, instead of dealing with whatever (or whoever) is causing the problem.

Sorry to hear about the social anxiety, though. That's probably my biggest reason for not trying to find another church as well.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2006, 10:31:26 PM »

Wow, you never struck me as the type of person to suffer from extreme social anxiety. I used to have that same problem, but I just got over it in the last couple years, with the help of several things.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2006, 10:34:29 PM »

Indeed. Furthermore, one does not need to attend a building to worship. If the organisation ends up being distracting or otherwise detrimental, it's probably best to simply stay at home and pray, or read the Bible, instead of dealing with whatever (or whoever) is causing the problem.

Sorry to hear about the social anxiety, though. That's probably my biggest reason for not trying to find another church as well.

Many churches today actively try to be distracting, which is part of the problem, though it's not really their fault. The problem with mainline religion is that its not exciting enough for people.

A18- That's part of the reason why I like internet forums. It affords a greater sense of freedom for me from inhibitions I'd ordinarily have.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2006, 10:39:29 PM »

What made you two quit going?

I've never liked going to church, and I don't plan to any longer than I have to.
Well, I hated the people for various reasons. I have a severe problem with hypocrites (though I am at times a hypocrite, of course), and having to deal with an entire congregation of hypocrites was miserable. Ever since then, religion has been mostly a private matter for me. Thankfully, my mother never really forced me to attend church, so I simply stopped going of my own volition and she never asked why.

I can't really explain this. The basic reason is that I don't like doing a lot of things around other people. Eating is one, praying is another.

It's been a while since I quit going to church, so I don't remember too well, though the most likely reason is still people.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies