What do you want to do when you get out of college?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:49:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What do you want to do when you get out of college?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What do you want to do when you get out of college?  (Read 3240 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2006, 09:25:21 AM »

I have no idea really, though my personal skill set would lead me towards teaching, I could not teach anyone successfully. I'll probably get a double major in History and something else and go from there.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2006, 12:02:57 PM »

Start the daily grind I suppose. I had originally wanted to do teachers training after I finished my honours year, but have decided against it. I would like to take steps towards a career in politics but you never know.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 12:16:38 PM »

If I can get funding will do a Masters in Early Modern History (and hopefully one in Modern European History and International Relations) and then a Ph.D. providing I can get funding. After that apply for membership of a History faculty at a University and if I can't get in there, head for the civil service fast track - Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 12:18:40 PM »

I want to be a nurse or, possibly, a nurse practitioner.

Rin-chan
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2006, 12:25:32 PM »

I'm out of college and in graduate school. I'm looking at two options, and leaning towards the first:

1. Get the Ph.D. in math and become a professor
2. Start a career as an actuary
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2006, 02:09:30 PM »

Hmm, it seems that some people here are thinking about teaching. Maybe one day we'll have a bunch of professors. Smiley

Already have a couple no? muon and angus - see how many others we can get. Would take a long time for me to become a professor here though as only a few faculty members in history at any university are considered professors, the rest are just known as fellows or lecturers.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2006, 02:10:58 PM »

I'm not in college yet, but I want to either intern for an elected official or get a job in the State Department.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2006, 02:35:08 PM »

Becoming a tin pot town hall hack seems likely.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2006, 03:46:55 PM »

Philip?

Ever consider going into economics?

Econ professors, at least at my school, make pretty good money...and as for the quality of their teaching...I think you'd be okay...you put yourself down a tad too much in that department.

Just don't talk about how Wilt Chamberlain caused a complete change in basketball foul line rules for 35 minutes and you'll be golden.

I hate speaking in front of people.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 04:47:56 PM »

well, what things do you like to do? (and that there could be a market for?)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2006, 07:08:33 PM »

Hmm, it seems that some people here are thinking about teaching. Maybe one day we'll have a bunch of professors. Smiley

I don't know - that is one of those jobs where each opening usually has hundreds of applicants..

I would suggest to Philip that he become a night-time security guard.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2006, 07:16:28 PM »

No idea, but I would like to work with politics or maybe in the academic field. I'll probably study economics and then see where I go from there.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2006, 07:32:08 PM »

I agree with Philip about English classes. I fecking hate writing about myself, why don't you feck off and leave me alone. But I've still always gotten an A in them.

The first day of school always pissed me off for every class. Tell eachother about ourselves, write a paper about myself, make a presentation about myself, or something retarded.

As for my future, I'm not sure. Being a politican or real estate developer interests me. I think I could be a good businessman, I have enough common sense and ruthlessness.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2006, 07:35:12 PM »

Move to New York to continue my comedy career, and hopefully try out for SNL,  or work in Broadway theater.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2006, 07:48:21 PM »

Ive done a ton of career/college-major searching over the past couple months.  Dazzleman can vouch for me on this one.  Over the last 6 months or so Ive pondered a career in politics, law enforcement, information systems, and a slew of others.  Recently I decided on Accounting/Finance, and I must say it seems like a nice fit (Im a very analyitcal person).  This spring I will finally begin classes at a 'real' school (just finished up at community college).
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2006, 08:22:40 PM »

Probably something in economics, or a job where I can just complain about politics or something. I've had people to tell me to try being a comedian, a football player, etc. but I would never be able to do that. I can't explain things that well, but if I work alone, I can get a lot done. My favorite subjects are politics and economics, but other stuff (sports, music, etc.) couldn't be used for a career because I don't want to be involved in something that many of my family members are involved in.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2006, 08:41:12 PM »

I start my student teaching next semester.  My goal is teaching high school math - preferably in a manner that emphasizes conceptial learning and real world (of real world-ish) applications, and deemphisizes memorization and drill and kill.

As someone who has spent time in the "real world" (even though there really ain't no such thing), I'll tell you that there are very few skills you might not find out to be useful if you are creative enough.

Consider biology - the humble virus.  Applied to computers you get an analogy for a threat which needs to be addressed.  Apply it to marketing and you have alternate methods for getting your message out. (consider the subservient chicken as a textbook example of 'viral marketing'.

Office politics don't work quite the same way as governmental politics, but insights into group human behavior, along with both short and long term consequences of various choices of action, can come in handy.

A general understanding of the flow of history, sociology, and the cycles of of cause, effect, and the occational twist of fate can help a lot in grasping the "big picture" of situations.

Good writing and communication skills (which you may indirectly pick up by practice for while you post here and elsewhere), are very handy in almost any job where you ever have contact with another human being.  In any non-technical field it will be one of the primary criteria that people use to judge your intellegence and competence - and even in technical fileds it still is generally taken into account.

Math is a gateway to many many of the engineering, scientific, and financial fields.  And in any non-menial job a lack of at least some math skills can be a major handicap.

General skills in logic and critical thinking are useful in just about all aspects of your life, including work.

I'm out of college and in graduate school. I'm looking at two options, and leaning towards the first:

1. Get the Ph.D. in math and become a professor
2. Start a career as an actuary

I considered going into actuarial sciences once.  Pay is good, plenty of room for advancement, pleasant working conditions, reasonable hours - all in all considered one of the nicest jobs out there.  Not exactly exciting for most people's POV, but a solid career choice nonetheless.

The first day of school always pissed me off for every class. Tell eachother about ourselves, write a paper about myself, make a presentation about myself, or something retarded.
That's basically how I got the reputation of being a highly intellectual weirdo/creep in my English classes. I hate introducing myself, damn it, because I never seem to convey the right things and always come across as being a mad scientist. Thankfully my professor was so impressed and mesmerised by my writing style that she seemed forever oblivious to the fact that I had a tendency to replace the "all about you"-type essays with fiction. Oh well. At least I got A's in all of my English classes, so I won't complain.

They are probably more concerned with your writing skill than your veracity.    Getting published can be a pain, but if you enjoy it writing fiction could be a decent hobby with at least a chance of pulling in a few bucks.

And as I said above, having good writing skills is very useful in general.  You may just be too humble or private to write much about yourself.  Inter-office emails usually involve stuff about policies, meetings, questions, and ideas.   
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2006, 04:25:50 AM »

Political consultant
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2006, 04:31:30 AM »

Change?  Can you spare some change?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2006, 08:09:09 AM »

As for my future, I'm not sure. Being a ... real estate developer interests me. I think I could be a good businessman, I have enough common sense and ruthlessness.

Well of course anyone would like to be such things, but do you have the capital?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2008, 11:38:46 PM »

I want to be a Representative.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2008, 11:39:55 PM »

I'm going to go to law school, and then get into politics; hopefully, I'll be elected to the Senate at some point in my life.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 12:16:39 AM »

Law and/or Politics.  Maybe Law School but I'm not sure yet.

Just kidding...

The plan now is to go to NYU for my MBA and maybe then to Georgetown for law.  Then I'll live in the city and perhaps work for my dad's company.  I'd like to do real estate, but who knows.  Eventually, after years of success in business/law I'll move on to politics.

You're better off getting the JD first, which is a fairly demanding process in and of itself...from what I've heard about MBAs there's a problem getting them too young...supposedly you're overqualified for good experience building jobs, and under experienced for MBA type jobs

I don't know if that's true though
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »

I really have no idea, thus that is why I went into the Army. I owe them time after I graduate from grad school so I guess I'll just hang on to that until I find something else interesting.

Unfortunately Manny Ramirez and Drew Carey have my two dream jobs.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies