The Spank Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:41:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Spank Poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: The Spank Poll  (Read 7952 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2006, 07:31:43 AM »

I never saw that SurveyUSA did this, but this is sure one weird polling idea:

http://www.surveyusa.com/50StateDisciplineChild0805SortedbyTeacher.htm

I wish they would do that kind of question more often.  The results actually make sense somehow, but I can't put my finger on why.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 07:35:45 AM »

Fascinating poll, Alcon!  The South, unsurprisingly, is most supportive of child abuse, but what is really interesting is that in no state do the majority oppose parental abuse of children.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 07:40:02 AM »

Fascinating poll, Alcon!  The South, unsurprisingly, is most supportive of child abuse, but what is really interesting is that in no state do the majority oppose parental abuse of children.

I was surprised at the high spanking numbers and the low "soap" numbers.

Also, isn't it odd that Mississippi is 4th most pro-spanking but tied for 6th most anti-soap, along with West Virginia?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 07:45:28 AM »

Also, isn't it odd that Mississippi is 4th most pro-spanking but tied for 6th most anti-soap, along with West Virginia?

Yes, those are some sick bastards down there. 
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 01:01:53 PM »

Amazing. So every state has a majority for parent-spanking. Did you know that if the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child is upheld as in force by the Supreme Court that parental spanking would be made illegal? It all depends on how Kennedy comes down on the question and based on decisions like Roper v. Simmons we should be very afraid.

BTW, I'm actually against teacher spanking considering what terrible teachers we have nowadays
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 01:07:32 PM »

I don't think there's anything wrong with spanking in a limited way.

There's a line between spanking and beating.  Spanking is controlled and not intended to hurt severely.

And since most of the UN is comprised of nutcases, I really wouldn't put much weight into what they think.

Kids need discipline, and it can be through spanking or through some other means.  It depends a lot on the individual child.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 01:14:53 PM »

Dude, the message that violence in cold blood is totally acceptable is exactly what's wrong with it. Tongue
I certainly wasn't spanked, ever. I did get the occasional slap (never very hard) in emotional moments. And by occasional, I mean rather less than once a year.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 01:24:12 PM »

Why don't they do interesting polls like this more often?

I wonder what the breakdown on the taxes/services tradeoff would be?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 01:36:37 PM »

I see the red states are bringing up the rear again
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 01:42:19 PM »

Dude, the message that violence in cold blood is totally acceptable is exactly what's wrong with it. Tongue
I certainly wasn't spanked, ever. I did get the occasional slap (never very hard) in emotional moments. And by occasional, I mean rather less than once a year.

A light spanking is not violence in cold blood.  It's not violence at all.  Beatings are violence, but controlled spanking is not.

The problem with many of the anti-spanking and anti-discipline people is that (1) they cannot distinguish between levels of discipline -- to these people, a firecracker is the same as a nuclear bomb, because they're both explosives; and (2) they have no concept of the negative results of lack of discipline.  Disciplining kids in whatever way works best -- which may or may not include occasional light spanking -- is a much greater kindness than allowing them to run wild, and develop all the wrong ideas about how the world is going to react to them.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 01:44:44 PM »

Yes, those are some sick bastards down there. 

I don't think soap exists in that part of the country Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 11:43:38 PM »

Liberal parenting skills involve allowing your children to do whatever the hell they want because we must remember they are just "small adults". Or some such nonsense.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 12:01:59 AM »

Your parents obviously suck ass.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 12:04:03 AM »

Wow I was really surprised that such a strong opposition to a little soap in a kids mouth.  I expected the questions to result in a pro-spanking decision though.  Most parents agree that spanking is acceptable but should be done infrequently and only for the most important behavior corrections.  I knew about the teachers in the south thing.

I have no problem with a parent using traditional spanking techniques for very serious offenses.

My girl and I have decided not to hit our kids outside of when the kid uses violence first and only with open hand on ass.  We have no problem with soap in the mouth for using vulgarity in a regular and inappropriate way. Any teacher that touches my kid better hope to god that the law deals with them very strongly.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 01:08:58 AM »

Wow I was really surprised that such a strong opposition to a little soap in a kids mouth.  I expected the questions to result in a pro-spanking decision though.  Most parents agree that spanking is acceptable but should be done infrequently and only for the most important behavior corrections.  I knew about the teachers in the south thing.

I have no problem with a parent using traditional spanking techniques for very serious offenses.

My girl and I have decided not to hit our kids outside of when the kid uses violence first and only with open hand on ass.  We have no problem with soap in the mouth for using vulgarity in a regular and inappropriate way. Any teacher that touches my kid better hope to god that the law deals with them very strongly.

J-Mann
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 01:24:28 AM »

Spanking isn't a Republican or a Democratic idea, nini.  Progress actually has a very well developed handle on this, and has gone much further than most people bother to do -- actually talking about measures of punishment and when such actions are appropriate.  I applaud him for it.

I was spanked (around 5 times my entire childhood); I hated it when I got spanked; I will spank my children, when and if necessary.  The reason is having worked and been around lots of children myself, I understand that "reasoning" with them or some slap-on-the-wrist punishment doesn't have the same effect as a swat on the behind.

As Progress said, there are degrees of offenses and should be degrees of punishment.  Making a mess might need a verbal reprimand; hurting another child (thus, in the wider sense, violating that child's sovereignty) may require a more startling punishment, such as spanking.

Spanking never really hurt me, that I can recall.  It was just so startling that and terrifying that I never repeat the offenses that led to it.

Slapping, on the other hand, is totally unacceptable.  I was slapped a few times, and that is a horrible way to punish a child.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 01:26:53 AM »

I've never been either slapped or spanked, so my handle on this issue isn't exactly great. But from reading I agree with Progress & J-Mann here.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 01:30:08 AM »

Spanking isn't a Republican or a Democratic idea, nini.  Progress actually has a very well developed handle on this, and has gone much further than most people bother to do -- actually talking about measures of punishment and when such actions are appropriate.  I applaud him for it.

I was spanked (around 5 times my entire childhood); I hated it when I got spanked; I will spank my children, when and if necessary.  The reason is having worked and been around lots of children myself, I understand that "reasoning" with them or some slap-on-the-wrist punishment doesn't have the same effect as a swat on the behind.

As Progress said, there are degrees of offenses and should be degrees of punishment.  Making a mess might need a verbal reprimand; hurting another child (thus, in the wider sense, violating that child's sovereignty) may require a more startling punishment, such as spanking.

Spanking never really hurt me, that I can recall.  It was just so startling that and terrifying that I never repeat the offenses that led to it.

Slapping, on the other hand, is totally unacceptable.  I was slapped a few times, and that is a horrible way to punish a child.

Jess, I'm curious about what you perceive to be the difference between spanking and smacking, or slapping, that you find spanking to be OK, but not smacking.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 01:32:31 AM »

I'll slap my girls on the hand from time to time if they are reaching for something they shouldn't or are being bad. On occassion a swift swat on the butt doesnt hurt either.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 01:35:48 AM »

Spanking isn't a Republican or a Democratic idea, nini.

Oh, I know that, I just wanted to throw in a good jab there at someone who criticizes my party (given my signature).
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 01:46:55 AM »

Nah, while im not a parent yet, I would say that spanking isnt on my agenda. A slap on the hands, certainly, but teaching that violence is the answer leads to your kids thinking is Okay.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 01:54:24 AM »

Jess, I'm curious about what you perceive to be the difference between spanking and smacking, or slapping, that you find spanking to be OK, but not smacking.

This is in regards to slapping in the face.  My mother did it a few times, mostly out of anger, and it hurt, left red marks, brought tears to my eyes, etc.  Maybe no different from spanking in terms of those symptoms, but ... I don't know ... you just don't hit a kid in the face.  A butt has so much more padding that spanking can be startling and sting for a bit, but if done in a measured way, it's ultimately harmless.  It's hard for me to ever justify an open-hand slap to the face.

Slapping on the hands -- that's fine.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 04:01:52 AM »

Nah, while im not a parent yet, I would say that spanking isnt on my agenda. A slap on the hands, certainly, but teaching that violence is the answer leads to your kids thinking is Okay.

I think you're acting like spanking has to be a malicious act. The point isn't to cause the children as much pain as possible, it's to transmit to a child early on that bad behavior will not only produce swift punishment, but to let them know that such behavior will come with pain if done in the future. If a four year old pushes their sibling down, they need to be shown, in terms they can understand, that that cannot be accepted. Simplying telling them that hurting someone is bad will not cut it. BTW, spanking pretty much becomes useless around 6-8. If you try to use it above that age, all you're going to teach is dislike because it's far past the stage where deterrence is possible.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2006, 07:42:14 AM »

Liberal parenting skills involve allowing your children to do whatever the hell they want because we must remember they are just "small adults". Or some such nonsense.

Such abuse is no doubt good preparation for the life of a worker - his life consists almost exclusively of being controlled, punished, and used.  However it would be rather inappropriate to the offspring of the rich, since they will be in charge upon reaching maturity.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2006, 09:50:27 AM »

My state is the highest with "okay to wash a child's mouth with soap" among Kerry states.

That's just disgusting! I know my aunt and uncle did it to my cousins. Go figure, they're the only Republicans in the family.

...Poisoning their own children. I suppose I should be used to seeing this sick behavior within the Republican Party, because after all, they are insane...but it never fails to amaze me!

A little biased, Jesus?

I don't think using soap is poison in any case, at the low amount of soap involved.  I doubt it's very effective, though.  I know a guy whose mother washed his mouth out with soap as a kid, and he drops the f-bomb at every available opportunity.

I got in a lot of trouble for cursing as a kid, and today I am a regular curser.  I think cursing is a form of rebellion, and also a generational issue, with the younger generations cursing more than the older ones, especially among women.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies