Most Polarizing State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:07:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most Polarizing State
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Most Polarizing State  (Read 17290 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »

Which state has huge numbers of extremely Conservative Republicans and extremely Liberal Democrats, or extremely loyal Republicans and loyal Democrats.  I think New Mexico is one option.  Just look at the map for 2000, there's such a difference in the north and the South.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 09:27:30 PM »

Pennsylvania
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 09:40:01 PM »

The entire west coast (Washington, Oregon, California)
Colorado
Florida
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 10:14:51 PM »

California
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 10:21:35 PM »

I'd say a bunch of deep Southern states fit into this category: extremely Republcian and white areas, a bunch of Democratic and black areas.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 10:23:01 PM »

I'd have to say Utah.  The ski areas are quite "latte liberal" (as stupid of a term as that is), and obviously we know about the Republican areas.

California and Florida both have lots of suburban Republicans.  They may be minorities in their counties, but they cast more votes than the rural Republicans.

Washington has a ton of moderate libertarian Democrats in the suburbs.  Oregon would be a decent option, though.

EDIT:  The problem with southern states is that the Democrats/liberals are often very socially conservative because they are black.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 10:54:20 PM »

How about Iowa?  This state has one of the most conservative senators AND one of the most liberal senators.

I'd add South Dakota to the list.  There are some counties as heavily Democratic as Washington DC and some counties even more heavily Republican than Utah.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 10:58:05 PM »

I'd have to say Utah.  The ski areas are quite "latte liberal" (as stupid of a term as that is), and obviously we know about the Republican areas.

California and Florida both have lots of suburban Republicans.  They may be minorities in their counties, but they cast more votes than the rural Republicans.

Washington has a ton of moderate libertarian Democrats in the suburbs.  Oregon would be a decent option, though.

EDIT:  The problem with southern states is that the Democrats/liberals are often very socially conservative because they are black.

Yeah but how significant are the "ski areas" that you speak of? Where are they located and how many votes do you "attribute" to these areas?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 11:01:31 PM »

How about Iowa?  This state has one of the most conservative senators AND one of the most liberal senators.

I don't know.  Iowa has so many counties where the other party got 40%+ that I'd honestly be surprised if there is that much division.

I'd add South Dakota to the list.  There are some counties as heavily Democratic as Washington DC and some counties even more heavily Republican than Utah.

Those are Indian Reservations, and they don't cast many votes.

Yeah but how significant are the "ski areas" that you speak of? Where are they located and how many votes do you "attribute" to these areas?

Summit County is about 50-50 ski resort/standard Utah.  The parts with ski resorts (Park City) are very liberal.  However, you're right in that those aren't really big vote-getting areas.

But the real Democratic vote-getters in Utah are non-religious people.  And since the Mormons are quite conservative, the non-religious people generally contrast pretty heavily.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 11:05:14 PM »

I don't know.  Iowa has so many counties where the other party got 40%+ that I'd honestly be surprised if there is that much division.

Those are Indian Reservations, and they don't cast many votes.

Summit County is about 50-50 ski resort/standard Utah.  The parts with ski resorts (Park City) are very liberal.  However, you're right in that those aren't really big vote-getting areas.

But the real Democratic vote-getters in Utah are non-religious people.  And since the Mormons are quite conservative, the non-religious people generally contrast pretty heavily.

That's a good point. This thread has really made me want to visit Utah.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 11:03:22 PM »

I second, but another surprise- New Jersey.  You have very liberal areas near Philly and NYC, but some of the Pine Barren areas have the politics of States' Rights.  No joke, I've seen Confederate flags on the way to the shore.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 11:21:49 PM »

Minnesota?

Wellstone to Coleman is a pretty massive change.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 11:41:30 PM »

California
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 11:43:54 PM »

Pennsylvania

You have the bible people from the central part of the state, if you travel though there you'd sware you're in Mississippi.  Also, go to Philly and its urban ghetto.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 08:07:32 PM »

I second, but another surprise- New Jersey.  You have very liberal areas near Philly and NYC, but some of the Pine Barren areas have the politics of States' Rights.  No joke, I've seen Confederate flags on the way to the shore.

Yea, New Jersey can be quite diverse.  You've got South-Jerseyans who think and act like Southerners (mostly Southeast).  The urban liberals in Camden and Newark(Northeast and Southwest).  The hoity-toity suburban Republicans (central).  And the rural Republicans (Northwest).

Correction- South Central NJ.  Southeastern NJ are wealthy Philadelphia and New York transplants and you have a lot of people that live off US 9/GSP who have retired there from the big cities.  Another area rapidly developing is Egg Harbor/Galloway Twp. area west of Atlantic City.  You have a small percentage of New Jerseyans that act like Southerners, but they're mostly in the Pine Barrens off 5XX or 6XX County roads.  One would never think of New Jersey as a Southern state, but if you veer off NJ 47 on the way to the shore on one of the county roads, you would think you're in Mississippi. 
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 08:26:57 PM »

Michigan is polarized, look at western (Ottawa, Kent) michigan and (Wayne)Detroit, both parties have a good 40% core supporters.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 03:06:36 AM »

Michigan is polarized, look at western (Ottawa, Kent) michigan and (Wayne)Detroit, both parties have a good 40% core supporters.

I wouldn't say it's that polarized, really.  Nearly 80% of Michigan's counties were won with less than 60% of the vote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 09:11:19 AM »

California
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 09:13:49 AM »

I wouldn't say it's that polarized, really.  Nearly 80% of Michigan's counties were won with less than 60% of the vote.

The question is are we counting geographic distributions? An area that is 50% Kerry and 50% Bush can still be very polarized at the individual level.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 10:47:06 AM »

Washington.

I remember a few months ago reading that a state senator had called for the state to be split right down the middle; dividing east and west.  The crux of the issue was the contentious Gregoire-Rossi election.  He argued that Eastern Washington and parts of the West voted for Rossi, while King County voted for Gregoire.  The same applies on the presidential level too.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2006, 02:17:46 PM »

Washington.

I remember a few months ago reading that a state senator had called for the state to be split right down the middle; dividing east and west.  The crux of the issue was the contentious Gregoire-Rossi election.  He argued that Eastern Washington and parts of the West voted for Rossi, while King County voted for Gregoire.  The same applies on the presidential level too.

That's very similar to NJ except they seriously consider the idea...
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 02:35:45 PM »

Yea, but there are barely any votes at all coming from out of there.  Most of the Pine Barrens are in Burlington and Atlantic counties, and they are both solidly Democratic. 
TB
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 02:36:39 PM »

The land of fruits and nuts - California

New York is also pretty diverse
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 04:08:44 PM »

Democrats wouldn't want Washington to split, considering how they out-vote the Eastern part in most elections.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2006, 07:29:06 PM »

Florida has a lot of Dems in the South and a lot of Reps in the North.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies