TX-Sen: Move on... Nothing to see here.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:27:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-Sen: Move on... Nothing to see here.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TX-Sen: Move on... Nothing to see here.  (Read 1461 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2006, 11:06:20 AM »

Rasmussen:

TEXAS SENATE
Kay Bailey Hutchison (R) 64%
Barbara Ann Radnofsky (D) 25%
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 11:12:13 AM »

GO RADNOFSKY

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!11
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 11:18:27 AM »

Will Hutchison top 70% of the vote?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 11:45:45 AM »

I don't think there is any danger to her airoplane if she does!
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 12:52:13 PM »

Look at it this way, I wouldn't spend a dime more than necessary on this one. Just get a Democrat on the ballot but that's it

Dave
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 03:46:14 PM »

I'm annoyed that Texas is so GOP-ised.  Surely a one-party state isn't practical or good?  I know that MA has an all-Democrat congressional delegation, but it has elected Republican Governors since 1990.

Texas hasn't had a Democratic Governor since 1994; it has no state-wide elected Democrats and who can realistically see Democrats winning the 2010 Gubernatorial race?  No Democrat has topped 40% here since 1996, and I have a feeling that Bill Clinton should logically have won that state.  The fact that he lost 48%-43% shows just how Republican Texas is.

Apart from this partisan rambling, will Democrats have a competetive race sometime in the future?  Is Henry Cuellar a viable candidate?  I don't think the Senate will be open in 2008, because Cornyn is averagely popular in the Lone Star State and he will be supported by a Republican at the top of the presidential ticket.  In 2012, Hutchison could run again, this is barring either deaths, resignations or appointments to other posts that might remove either Hutchison or Cornyn, but if she did not I suppose we are done for again because its a presidential year.  I could go on in this vein for sometime...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 04:10:49 PM »

I'm annoyed that Texas is so GOP-ised.  Surely a one-party state isn't practical or good?  I know that MA has an all-Democrat congressional delegation, but it has elected Republican Governors since 1990.

I agree, but the Dem candidates run recently (with the exception of John Sharp) are not a good fit for the state as a whole (too liberal) and the state Dem party has what we would call a "cash and candidate" problem in that they have neither.  The state Rep party has also figured out how to GOTV in suburban areas of Dallas metroplex and Houston and with the combination of doing better among Hispanic voters (40%+ in the last ten years) and cementing the rural vote behind Republicans (except in certain parts of east Texas and along the border, of course) controls the state from a number of angles.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It shows the fact that he couldn't make any appeal to suburbans in Dallas and Houston.  He actually did decent in the rural areas (not great).

My better advice is to run better candidates in the statewide races that don't just appeal to standard liberal Democrat constituencies in Austin and standard Democrats on the border and they might have a better chance.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Henry Cuellar is a viable candidate but first he is going to have to hold off Ciro Rodriguez in the primary rematch of 2004 in CD-28.  That is not going to be easy, frankly.

Hutchinson will not be defeated by anyone however.  She's the most popular politician in the state.  Cornyn, maybe, but especially not if it's a Presidential year.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 10:58:38 PM »

Rasmussen:

TEXAS SENATE
Kay Bailey Hutchison (R) 64%
Barbara Ann Radnofsky (D) 25%

Kay Bailey for Pope!
Pages: [1]