Joe Klein's article from 1/8/06... NSA and liberal Democrats.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:13:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Klein's article from 1/8/06... NSA and liberal Democrats.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Agree or Disagree w/ Klien?
Agree (D)

Disagree (D)

Agree (R)

Disagree (R)

Agree (I/O)

Disagree (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Joe Klein's article from 1/8/06... NSA and liberal Democrats.  (Read 1529 times)
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2006, 06:05:19 PM »

Scoonie is going a good job of defining the position the democrats are trying to take.  Unfortunately for his party, he is doing a better job than the national figures.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2006, 11:39:09 PM »

The Democrats have not provided a clear answer to this question: should a warrant be required to monitor an international phone call between a known foreign terrorist and a U.S. citizen who may or may not be suspected of terrorist ties?

No.

You said no, but the Democratic leadership characterizes this as "domestic spying on U.S. citizens" and opposes it (I believe, they have not been clear).

Is there evidence that anything other than this occurred?

Everything is kept secret, in part that was a big reason why the FISA regulations were set in place.  After such "terrorists" like Martin Luther King JR were wiretapped with no warrants, but the kicker that led to the FISA law in part was Nixon's illegal taps.  Bottom line no one is above the law.  Their is no need to play fast & loose (or worse) with the wiretaps when it can be doone very easily in a legit & legal manner through FISA.

By the way some Republicans have voiced their concerns over the issue.  Specter is taking a wait & see approach, but wants a full investigation, I believe Snowe, Collins, Hagel & I believe Chaffee at echoed similar things & Former NJ Govenor & Republican Chair on the the 9/11 Commission has commented on his worries about the program citing a need for "checks and balances" at all times.  While supporting the taps Powell has questioned the need for bypassing the FISA regulations, stating that whhile he supports the taps & feels its important it should be done through a court order.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2006, 11:47:59 PM »

Nah we don't need two parties of warmongers looking to install a POTUS with unlimited powers who does not need to pay any regard to the rule of law.

When Barbara Boxer and Sam Brownback agree on something you know it is serious.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2006, 02:53:08 AM »

He's basically right, in terms of politics and policy.

^^^^^^^^
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 11:17:05 AM »

I am not a lawyer, but my reading of FISA is that the law does not apply to surveillance conducted outside of the U.S. so long as at least one of the parties involved in the communication is not in the U.S.  The president may monitor all international electronic communications without needing to even inform Congress or the FISA court.

The Democrats seem to be defining "domestic spying on U.S. citizens" as any monitoring of phone or email in which at least one of the parties is a U.S. citizen.  Therefore, this definition overlaps with the case above that is not under FISA's jurisdiction.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies