Bush nominee 'believes in an all-powerful presidency'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:55:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush nominee 'believes in an all-powerful presidency'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush nominee 'believes in an all-powerful presidency'  (Read 631 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2006, 07:44:21 PM »

Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee accused President Bush's latest Supreme Court nominee of being far too deferential to executive power and invariably favouring the state over the rights of the individual.

Edward Kennedy, the party's liberal standard bearer, told Judge Samuel Alito as the committee got down to serious questioning yesterday: "Your record shows you believe in the supremacy of the executive branch and an almost all-powerful presidency." .

To make his argument, Senator Kennedy cited several cases from Judge Alito's 15-year stint on the federal appeals bench in which, he claimed, the judge had sided with the state even when some of his conservative colleagues disagreed.

Along with abortion, the issue of abuse of executive power and the judiciary's role as the last line of defence against such abuse, have emerged as a potential stumbling blocks to Judge Alito's confirmation.

The row has been propelled on to the front pages by last month's revelation that President Bush has allowed the National Security Agency to conduct wiretapping without warrants against US citizens, bypassing a special domestic court that normally authorises such procedures. The White House, Mr Kennedy charged, was "abusing power, excusing and authorising torture and spying on American citizens." Judge Alito, he said, "has to speak out on his commitment to constitutional values and liberties".

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article337785.ece
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 07:45:15 PM »

There had better be 41 to stop this wingnut fascist. He's going to let Bush do whatever he wants, he's going to overturn Roe, and he's going to steal more elections ala Bush vs. Gore. Stop the wingnut now.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 07:58:39 PM »

Complete misrepresentation. He believes all the executive power is vested in the president. The unitary executive theory he champions in no way addresses the scope of that power.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 08:05:36 PM »

Now THAT is spin.  Alito said himself that the position of President was not above the law.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 08:06:32 PM »

The nominee believe the President ought to be able to control the weather?  To tell me what color shirt I wear tommorrow?  To determine if the X-Men 4 gets greenlit by the studios?  How about whether Diet Dr. Pepper really tastes better than regular Dr. Pepper?

If not, then he doesn't believe in an executive that is "all powerful", now does he?  He just believes in a stronger executive than Democrats do.

And iirc, when Clinton was President, the argument was reversed, and Republicnas thought the Executive had too much power.  Funny how that works...
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 09:14:11 PM »

Anyone who has ever called themselves a strict constructionalist yet who doesn't call Alito on the whole "Signing Statements" crap should be slapped around a little.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 09:18:57 PM »

The nominee believe the President ought to be able to control the weather?  To tell me what color shirt I wear tommorrow?  To determine if the X-Men 4 gets greenlit by the studios?  How about whether Diet Dr. Pepper really tastes better than regular Dr. Pepper?

I don't know about anyone else, but I need Bush to tell me whether or not Diet Dr. Pepper tastes better than regular Dr. Pepper. Sad
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 11:57:07 PM »

Anyone who has ever called themselves a strict constructionalist yet who doesn't call Alito on the whole "Signing Statements" crap should be slapped around a little.

Ah yes, this could practically be a definition of conservative judicial activism.

There is nothing in the consititution that says the president can suspend the bill of rights (or any other part of the consititiution) under any circumstances at all.  To dig such rights out of thin air like this is the very definition of activism by it's staunchest (and theoretically conservative) opponents.

Would those of you who support such actions really want President Warner, President Feingold, or *Gasp* President Hillary to also have the right to ignore the law whenever they want in the name of national security.  Do you consider "filegate" which pales in comparison, to be no matter of concern at all?

Or is it ok for someone to break the supreme laws of this land if it's someone you approve of.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 01:43:35 AM »

Something tells me that Alito would have a very different view of the powers that the executive branch should have if a Democrat was President. 41 to stop this partisan extremist.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 01:49:11 AM »

Acctually, Alito does not believe "in an all-powerful presidency"... Ted Kennedy believes that he believes in one.

Ted Kennedy and the title of this thread are, of course, wrong, as Teddy is simply putting words into the mouth of a man who believes that that President is, in fact, the Cheif Executive of the United States and that all executive power is vested in the President.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 02:16:51 AM »

The nominee believe the President ought to be able to control the weather?  To tell me what color shirt I wear tommorrow?  To determine if the X-Men 4 gets greenlit by the studios?  How about whether Diet Dr. Pepper really tastes better than regular Dr. Pepper?

I don't know about anyone else, but I need Bush to tell me whether or not Diet Dr. Pepper tastes better than regular Dr. Pepper. Sad

It does.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 02:17:26 AM »

It does.

Oh, good.

In that case, I don't have to commit suicide.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies