Abolition of Forum Affairs Department Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:31:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Abolition of Forum Affairs Department Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Abolition of Forum Affairs Department Bill  (Read 6425 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: January 11, 2006, 03:28:10 PM »

What's wrong with the current system of opening up an absentee voting booth a few days prior to the election? It seems much less of a hassle than emailing three people all of whom may not have their emails readily available to all Atlasians.

Also how would this reduce the work load on the SoFA? All this seems to do is simply rename the department to the much more wordy Director of Federal Elections and the Census.

Until these questions are answered in a way to make them seem more reasonable to me then the current system my vote will be no.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 03:45:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, it's two different positions:  Director of Federal Election and the head of the Census Bureau.

Well then that's incredibly redundant. We would have to assign funds to two departments to cover the current expenditures of one. We would need to have two people to do what one currently does. What exactly would this Director of the Census Bureau do? Just update the voter roles ever five days or so? That seems like very little work to justify the creation of two departments.

This brings forth another question to my mind. I would like to ask Q and all other former SoFAs to tell me whether they believe it was too much work for them to handle. I really don't want to be hard on a person by not supporting this if they truely think that it is too much work for one man.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 04:26:08 PM »

What the hell? I never thought that you had to email it to three people currently. It's always just a thread that you vote in prior to the election. Ugh I hate it when I miss things like this.

Another simpler thing to do is delegate more powers to the deputy SoFA, such as modifying the voter roles and certifying regional elections, in order to ease the SoFA's work load. Also we could have each region certify its results according to regional statute that would take away some of the additional work around the election.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 04:55:12 PM »

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 01:47:39 PM »

I personally agree with CheeseWhiz. This entire thing can be done without an amendment. We can just designate new power to the DSoFA. We can actually pass a statute or a resolution through the Senate which would give them the specific powers that you have stated earlier. The DSoFA could handle the census, regional elections, registration updates, etc. and the SoFA can handle federal elections, voter registration, and electoral challenges. We do not need an entire reworking of the department. All we need is to transfer some of the current SoFA jobs to the DSoFA who are often competent individuals in themselves. This in my opinion is unneeded and would be better off as a bill stating the powers and duties of the SoFA and DSoFA respectivly. I believe this is why we passed the Deputy SoFA Creation Act so that a great deal of the SoFA's workload could be passed off to another person. This does nothing more than rename the two positions and gives more hassle to both this Senate and the people of Atlasia than is actually necessary.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 07:01:22 PM »

Abstain

As I said before this bill is absolutely unneeded, we don't need to complete reorganize the cabinet, we just need to state the official roles of the SoFA and DSoFA.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 04:52:02 PM »

Nay
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 06:39:37 PM »

That's hardly what I thought when you said that you proposed an amendment. I thought that it would have something to do with organizing the powers of the SoFA and DSoFA not clear up some of the small bureaucratic issues in this bill. This amendment really does nothing to change my overall argument against this bill and if this is introduced and passed I will still vote nay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies