Economics and Feminism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:37:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Economics and Feminism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Economics and Feminism  (Read 3589 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 06:31:26 PM »

I don't think his post merited that particular label.  Though I can't say I agree entirely with his or flyers analogy either.

I still feel that feminism amounts to bigotry, but not all of what flyers mentioned is true feminism.  Some of it is true egalitarianism.  Yes, men and women often compete for the same positions.  I also fault no one for wanting his/her spouse to find a job which pays well.  I definitely want my old lady to get a job that pays about twice as much as mine when she goes back to work, Nothing wrong with that sort of thinking, imho, and if she is better qualified than a man who might be competing for the same job, then she should get the job on her merits.  She worked hard, has straight As on her undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and her research was done in a much more marketable area than mine, but that's okay because I think more like an academic and she thinks more like a capitalist.  I think you may be a bit out of touch with the real concerns of the actual working class, despite your constant comments about us.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 07:22:09 PM »

I don't think his post merited that particular label.  Though I can't say I agree entirely with his or flyers analogy either.

Not just that one post, angus, the man spews misgyny all day long. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I do not care to delve into the details, angus - noting the worker's position in the social heirarchy is more to the point than his thwarted individuality.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 07:32:36 PM »

the man spews misgyny all day long.

Roll Eyes Yeah, good thing you're so respectful of women.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2006, 07:37:23 PM »

the man spews misgyny all day long.

Roll Eyes Yeah, good thing you're so respectful of women.

I thought you believed capitalist business transactions to be by their very nature mutually beneficial? 

I'm not completely certain all are, but these women make good money, and I'm a very pleasant, polite fellow.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2006, 07:40:50 PM »

I wasn't talking about the prostitution. How many times have you referred to women as the 'subject class' now?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2006, 07:45:12 PM »

I wasn't talking about the prostitution. How many times have you referred to women as the 'subject class' now?

There is nothing disrespectful about accurately describing a person's position in the social heirarchy.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2006, 07:49:28 PM »

There you go again with this 'social hierarchy' nonsense. Whatever the case, calling someone a 'subject' is not very respectful. It's condescending.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2006, 07:52:36 PM »

There you go again with this 'social hierarchy' nonsense. Whatever the case, calling someone a 'subject' is not very respectful. It's condescending.

No, making them the subject is condescending, not recognizing their victimhood.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2006, 07:57:11 PM »

I have to admit that I enjoy condescension quite a bit.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2006, 07:59:18 PM »

No, making them the subject is condescending, not recognizing their victimhood.

Okay, why don't you call some woman a 'subject'? When she slaps you, you can explain you were merely 'recognizing her victimhood.'
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2006, 10:08:24 PM »

for dazzleman-  How long do you think my politics wll end up to the right of Joe Lieberman if at all?  Remember Georges Clemenceau's quote.

I don't know, man.  I think much of your politics is based upon resentment of perceived past slights, and resentment of your current situation.  If and when you overcome and/or let go of these resentments, your politics will probably moderate to some degree.  You seem to veer all over the political map, depending upon the issue.

On this issue, I think you're right about the economic effects of feminism, and the negative effects it has on relationships between women and men.  Any philosophy that is based upon grievance, perceived victimhood, a belief in the superiority of one type of person over another, and a desire to violate the rights of other people is not likely to good relationships between the people in question.

OTOH, you seem to view relations with women in the crassest sense, and I think that's unfortunate.  One of the downsides of feminism for women is the bill of goods that women have been sold about how it's possible to have a stimulating career and raise kids, without the support of a man.  The poverty statistics clearly show what a fallacy this is.  Still, in part because of feminism, more women than ever are saddled with the burden of raising kids alone.  It's bad for the children and society.

The downside of sex with some person they meet off the street is much higher for a woman than a man, and you need to recognize that.  A man is much less likely to pick up a disease from a woman than the other way around, and a man of course cannot become pregnant.  You need to recognize that.

Things would be much better if people treated each other with mutual respect, and were able to better see the position of the other person.  I oppose feminism in part because it does not offer mutual respect.  I would oppose a male-based philosophy that simply reversed the genders with the feminist philosophy.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2006, 06:20:37 PM »

Wouldn't ya know it, DU locked my thread for being imflammatory and divisive.  I also seen one on "Male Priviledge" and countered with "Female Priviledge" and that one on got deleted.  Some of you guys were right.  DU is ran by a bunch of PC feminazis and yes there is a difference between them and sensible feminists.   

I wonder about the direction of the Democratic Party in the country considering how divisive we are from within.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2006, 08:58:32 PM »

Wouldn't ya know it, DU locked my thread for being imflammatory and divisive.  I also seen one on "Male Priviledge" and countered with "Female Priviledge" and that one on got deleted.  Some of you guys were right.  DU is ran by a bunch of PC feminazis and yes there is a difference between them and sensible feminists.   

I wonder about the direction of the Democratic Party in the country considering how divisive we are from within.

What have I been telling you, Flyers?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 09:19:15 AM »

for dazzleman-  How long do you think my politics wll end up to the right of Joe Lieberman if at all?  Remember Georges Clemenceau's quote.

I don't know, man.  I think much of your politics is based upon resentment of perceived past slights, and resentment of your current situation.  If and when you overcome and/or let go of these resentments, your politics will probably moderate to some degree.  You seem to veer all over the political map, depending upon the issue.

It is appropriate for a worker, being the person oppressed by power, to base his politics upon resentment, dazzleman. 
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2006, 09:32:49 AM »

It is appropriate for a worker, being the person oppressed by power, to base his politics upon resentment, dazzleman. 

Then what explains your attitude?  That your parents are oppressing you because they don't send the checks fast enough?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2006, 09:50:01 AM »

Then what explains your attitude?  That your parents are oppressing you because they don't send the checks fast enough?

No, as a matter of fact they don't, not to mention they are living such a long time!

Hah, no, seriously, I do resent intolerance and stupidity, though personally the only oppression I have to resent is the State's constant effort to eradicate my hobby.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2006, 10:07:27 AM »

What have I been telling you, Flyers?

If you're not playing the violin with them, you're an asshole according to some, but nowhere near all of them.  Being a moderate white male Democrat can sometimes be a difficult thing.  Seriously this "Male Priviledge" thread basically said if you're white and male, the world is handed to you on a silver platter and listed about 40 or so points.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies